Daily Pictures #92

Red Oak, TX

A late invitation, but anyone in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area is welcome to come to an open house visit to my butterfly farm on Saturday October 8th from 10:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. You can tour around the gardens, see hundreds of caterpillars of many different species, walk through the flight cage which will have a number of live butterflies flitting about ovipositing eggs, and look through an extensive butterfly collection with specimens from around the world. You can find directions on the DCLS website (below) under Calendar of Events.

Meant to post this earlier but just got busy with other things -- like a cracked tooth, a fallen tree on my potting shed this afternoon, and various other incidents of rather bad luck. Hope to see some of you. If nothing else, I'll take some pictures and post them.

Dale Clark
Dallas County Lepidopterists' Society
www.dallasbutterflies.com

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Dale - wish I lived closer. Take care of yourself!

One more monarch in the wind today.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I would definately try to be there Dale but had appts this am and need to take DH some clean clothes to rehab. Please post some pictures. I know you have some on the website, but always love to see more. Bummer on the tooth and the tree....and the stress I am sure they brought you.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

2 More monarchs released today. :)

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Good day in the garden today, that is for October. Monarch, Fiery skipper, Variegated Fritillary, Silver-spotted skipper and of course cabbage whites. Got a couple of pictures to share later. Oh, and my last BST made its Chrysalis.

Homeworth, OH(Zone 5b)

my dark form BST cat w/ osmeterium protruding. I think I irritated it while taking photos.

Thumbnail by BCH521
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Bruce:
I was fascinated by the coloration differences found in my own garden. 2 different "broods" on different parts of the garden:

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Homeworth, OH(Zone 5b)

It is amazing how different they can be--So far I haven't heard that anyone knows why.

Found this red admiral in my garden this morning

Thumbnail by BCH521
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Bruce, me neither. I think I saw the darker form of those BST cats. at the nursery the other day. Do you think it maybe depending on the sexes of the butterflies they were to become?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

It's overcast and we may get some rain...but I was surprised to have found this Monarch this early morning. She was traveling solo.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Ooops let me try that again.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

As promised, here are a few pix from yesterday and today.

This was the big surprise, as I have not seen a Variegated Fritillary in the yard for a long time. Maybe a couple of years…

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

This Fiery Skipper was kind enough to share with a bee.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

pretty buckeye

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Monarch. This was today's male. Had a different male yesterday.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Red Admiral and friends on banana.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Nice!! I had a couple of RA's last week but missed getting a shot of them!

I'm going with Peck's Sipper on this one.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Here are two of the three monarchs I had at one time today.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

The monarchs mostly love the Tithonia, but this one headed over to the lantana to sample it.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Pearl Crescent

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Same crescent

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

pretty!

Homeworth, OH(Zone 5b)

We had one more eclose last night, so I tagged him and put him outside on a flower before I left for work--hopefully there is enough time for the trip to Mexico.

We still have about 10 chrysalises to go, so i guess at this point they either make it or they don't.

Thumbnail by BCH521

I saw three today and I really hoped that one would be tagged. but it was not.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Bruce you could ship them south!!! ;)

A.

Homeworth, OH(Zone 5b)

DW is flying south next week, and she was trying to decide if she could put them in her carry on!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

A rose for that thought of your sweet DW, Bruce. Thanks on the behave of the future butterflies. ^_^

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Monarch today.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Portland, TX(Zone 9b)

I saw a monarch and a GF today, but neither one would sit still long enough for me to get a pic....I chased them around the yard for a while before this little one caught my eye. It wasn't too cooperative either!

Russell

Thumbnail by yakmon
Red Oak, TX

One of numerous roosting clusters in the yard last night. A rough estimate - probably a couple of hundred monarchs in the yard each day this week, mainly nectaring on the "Miss Huff" lantana, as well as others.

Dale Clark
Dallas County Lepidopterists' Society
www.dallasbutterflies.com

Thumbnail by lepfarmer
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Oh Mr. Clark. That's a splendid sight! How wonderful to be at the right location, at the right time to witness such awesome sight!

I would also love to see a roost. I'm always looking for them in september.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

It must be thrilling to see them. My last Monarch left home today.

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Nice job! I saw a Monarch, several Sulphers and a Longtailed skipper.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Buckeyes today.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Beautiful picture! :)

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Thankyou

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Hairstreak with almost open wing view.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Portland, TX(Zone 9b)

Another tiny blue...I think this is a Ceraunus Blue (Hemiargus ceraunus).

Russell

Thumbnail by yakmon

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.