Daily Pictures #92

Homeworth, OH(Zone 5b)

We came from here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1217681/

Found this little guy on one of my dill plants this morning--I don't know about him, but I was cold!

Thumbnail by BCH521
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

That's a dark Black Swallowtail. I've had one like that before, it was on wild parsley.

I lost one of my four last BST cats. Dunno what happened, but it just died. The rest seem healthy. I've had these all since first instars, so was kind of odd to lose this one.

Homeworth, OH(Zone 5b)

That's what I thought, but I haven't seen enough BST cats to know for sure--sorry about your cat--sometimes it's hard to figure out.

I will make sure to take lots of pictures of the black cat as it grows.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Quoting:
--I don't know about him, but I was cold!
Hah, Bruce, it's cold even down South! But I'm so glad you've posted the pic. of the dark BST. 'Cause I raised many of them but never a dark form before. Please keep us posted how it fairs in the garden. Marna, I lost about a dozen Gulf Frits. cats this past week. They just vanished out of sight, I'm not kidding. I've my precious 'Autumn Star' spicebush in the same butterfly cage which is in the process of making its cocoon, so I don't want to disturb their habitat for now--in order to find out if their is any remnant of survivors in there. But, I was wondering if Sassafras has chemical that harmed my G.F.s????

One of the late 'migrant' made it by my garden yesterday, temp. dips down to 39F last night so undoubtedly it was on his way further South as we type.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Red Admiral yesterday

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

must of missed the boat...

Thumbnail by jmorth

Red admiral a few days ago.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

And a few days before that.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Also from that day (9/21) was this monarch.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

That monarch also liked the Tithonia.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Sulphurs were pretty rare for me this year.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

In contrast, I've more Sulphurs this year for some reason. Marna. Great pix. Today in the garden, I once again saw a lone Monarch. It was a 'boy' so I knew not to frantically search for eggs being left behind by any chances. lol Also saw a 'Long-tailed skipper' Not an official name mind you. But one I so loved for its long tail. Several Brazilian skippers, a Red Admiral and a Hackberry Emperor I think. No pix, sorry.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I have 2 sleepy orange sulfurs waiting for release tomorrow. I hope it warms up!!! :)

A.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Wow I love the Red Admiral photos...what a beauty. Mrs. Ed what are the pink flowers yours is on?

I have a few photos to show and maybe someone can help me in ID'ing one that I've never seen before but wow is it a pretty one. Here is a good close up side view.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

Here is a good top view....

Thumbnail by sunkissed

And this is just a dang good picture of it upside down...

Thumbnail by sunkissed
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Great pictures of your Longtailed skipper (Urbanus proteus), sunkissed. Bravos! You've beaten me to the punch. I saw one here too in the garden, but your photos beat mine hand down. lol. Amanda, congrats on your Sulphurs eclosure.

I hadn't seen any Monarch's for a couple weeks but today I saw one lone female on on my Milkweed and she was laying eggs, I see at least seven of them. I'm gonna keep an eye on them....how long till I see a caterpillar emerge?

Oh thanks LL...isn't it so pretty, I love the blue green colors.

Here is a sulphur I saw while on my bike ride the other day on some wild morning glories, I'm now taking my camera with me on my bike rides...lol

My Cassias are getting first flowers and saw some Sulphurs in my yard today, so they didn't take long to find the blooms.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

Here is the GF resting on my hammock....see the torn wings...poor thing.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

My DH actually took this GF on the passion vines...he did good!

This message was edited Oct 4, 2011 4:45 PM

Thumbnail by sunkissed
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Those are lovely wild MG you've gotten there. And the Sulphur just enhances the beauty! Another great pix. This maybe my first Pear crescent (Phyciodes tharos) for the season, I don't remember having seen one before until this late in the season. The garden mum is newly acquired. :)

This message was edited Oct 4, 2011 3:47 PM

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Thanks Sunkissed, those pink flowers are Autumn Joy Sedum.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Lily - I guess I should have posted here instead of starting those threads, but I didn't know!

My senna is not getting enough sun where it is now and I wonder about digging it up to bring it in. It has not flowered and is supposed to be an annual in my zone. Thoughts?

A.

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

The first of 10 chrysalis turned black this evening. I think I will be releasing a butterfly tomorrow! :)

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Pearl Crescent

Thumbnail by jmorth
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Congrats Amanda on the Sulphur and the pending Monarch ... maybe today? Wooohooo. J. Lovely Pearl Crescent on asters.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Homeworth, OH(Zone 5b)

You will have to post pictures of your monarch today Amanda.

Finally got a warm day, and have a few butterflies moving today--this was a common buckeye in my driveway

Thumbnail by BCH521
Homeworth, OH(Zone 5b)

pearl crescent on what's left of a patch of zinias

Thumbnail by BCH521

Lily those pretty MG are on the man made bike trail all over. They have Cassias planted along it also, many wild flowers that attract the BF's, it is why I started taking my camera when going for my bike rides. I'm supposed to be getting exercise, but always stopping and taking pictures or seed collecting...LOL. That pear crescent blends right into those gorgeous orange Mums.

Amanda so neat to see...hope you get your butterfly today, I'd love to see a picture of that.

Lots of great pictures of the pearl crescent.

I'm not sure about this one, I have looked in the guides and think it may be a Palamedes Swallowtail. So I'm asking all you wonderful experts opinion. Here is the best shot I got of it, was really on the move.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

Another shot to help...

Thumbnail by sunkissed
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hah, got me on that one, sunkissed. Thank you for adding your Urbanus proteus into the bugfiles. Lovely! I saw 3 Monarchs today in the garden. Wooohoooo!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hurray for Lily! :)

I'm beat! But I have to share . ....

released my first monarch of the season today and s/he headed south at approximately 2:30 p.m. EST. Should be heading your way. I have forgotten all about markings so I don't know which this is - I had a feeling it was a girl. Or a boy.

A.

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Had to get under her/him to get this picture of upper wings.

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Two more chrysalises turned black this evening. A sulfur hatched out late this afternoon. Tomorrow will be another busy day!

Thanks for sharing.

A.

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Great pics everyone!
Amanda....Yes, bring that senna inside, it is an annual even down here. Whoo Hoo on the Monarch release!
Good to see pictures ....the monarch was a female btw.

I have been busy but when I have had time I did bring in eggs and cats I come across; some will emerge this weekend I think. I also managed to find time to tag and release about eight Monarchs that I netted (5 today). Most have been males thus far.

BCH....I had one of the dark BST cats one time also. Did some research but couldn't find out what the reason was for that coloration. Mine is on parsley here, not sure where it was when collected.

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW

Amanda that is so pretty...thanks for posting the pictures. How cool...I I was out side this morning and a Monarch was laying more eggs on the milkweed while I stood and watched her.

Wow I was just reading about the eggs and see that there is only a 10% chance they'll make it to an actual BF. Now I understand why some of you take the time to harvest the eggs and raise them to be a BF. I travel too much to try my hand at raising butterflies, but can now see what a rewarding experience it must be to successfully bring a butterfly into the world.
Well... I won't let it frustrate me in continuing to make a wonderful garden for butterflies...I must somehow be doing my part in the conservation of the butterfly population. I hope so at least.

Thumbnail by sunkissed
Homeworth, OH(Zone 5b)

yes you are sunkissed, and I thank you on behalf of all the butterflies!!

congrats on your girl amanda!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I agree Sunkissed - keep on planting. :)

2 monarchs and 1 sulfur eclosed and released today. One of the monarchs took his time coming out, but protested when I tried to offer him lodging overnight. Instead, he is sitting atop my highest hyssop about 12' off the ground, facing south out there in the dark. It was a good day. :)

A.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.