October Photos and Chit Chat

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Oh, and Jamie, I did a little research on Chirita involucrata. It's now in the new genus Microchirita together with M. micromusa, hamosa etc.

This genus was created mostly or exclusively for the annuals but I'm not sure on that one.

From what I know from own experience is that M. micromusa will immediately wilt and collapse when undomed for longer than a few minutes at a time...

Hope that helped

Olaf

Montgomery, AL

Thanks Olaf. I'd better try to set some seed then and keep it humid too.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

lynn and olaf, both are sooo cute. I just wish they would stop changing names. makes it so difficult to keep up.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Streptocarpus 'Weismoor Blue'. Thanks Lynn! :)

Thumbnail by bsimpson1972
Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Streptocarpus 'Bristol's Party Boy'. This one didn't have many flowers through Summer - an occasional one or two. Now that the weather has cooled down significantly, the plant has 6 buds and quite a few more coming. I can't wait for this Strep to reach its full potential. :)

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia eumorpha 'Saltao'. Third growth cycle. The tuber just barely fit into this solo cup. :)

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia speciosa. Second growth cycle. I got the labels mixed up and will have to wait to find out who she is... LOL

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia 'Lil' Tiger'. Almost there... :)

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia 'Country Crocus'. This crown just keeps going and going for more than six months now...

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Streptocarpus 'Bristol's Party Boy'

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia 'Lil' Tiger', side view:

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia 'Lil' Tiger', front view:

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Adorable sinn's Olaf. I wonder how do you keep their moisture level, daily watering? their pots seem to be so tiny, I'd never got it right without under/overwatering

Finally loaded my pics, here is my fav strep Hototugishu

Thumbnail by carpathiangirl
Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Ness' Fantasy Gold, first timer

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

The new NOID from a grocery store, the blooms are huge and so bright

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Another NOID, what do you think about her? the flowers are so weird almost ugly but so big. A wasp?

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Very nice pics!

The micros that I grow enclosed are thriving on neglect, the unenclosed ones are on a pebble tray, on wicks or in a high sided container. Watering has never been a problem. The unenclosed ones might initially lose a leaf or even a crown but they bounce back stronger and better and can actually take a bit of (almost) drought...

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Beautiful Olaf and Maria! I have lots of things in bloom,but my darn camera keeps acting up.My son in Texas could probably figure it out,but if I tell him I know he will go out and buy me a new one and I don't want that!

Lynn

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Lynn, we definitely miss your charms, you gotta do something to that camera lol. Olaf, some day I hope to master the art of growing sinns as beautiful as yours

Montgomery, AL

Lynn, let him buy you that camera. I am sure that you deserve it and we deserve to see your pictures!
Jamie

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks Maria! Here's the thing, though: You can do it too! It's easy! - I've only been growing Sinningias for a bit over a year now... ;)

Thanks all LOL.I am going to try and get it to work for a little while.Keeping my fingers crossed.

Lynn

I should have darkened the room,but here are a few.

Can't capture her yellow and purple markings.

Alissa

Thumbnail by lbrabec

Bob Serbin

Thumbnail by lbrabec

Alice's Aussie
She was in bud when Heidi sent her a few weeks back,but my camera wouldn't work.Her leaves are huge!

Thumbnail by lbrabec

Butternut has so much color when the temps drop.

Thumbnail by lbrabec

Nemanathus Nervosa
Blooms are tiny,but it's so cheery

Thumbnail by lbrabec

Trinket Summer Skies Thanks Heidi ^_^

Thumbnail by lbrabec

Another beauty from Heidi.
Trinket Terriffic

Thumbnail by lbrabec
(tish) near Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Olaf....Your sinningias are very nice. Could you please post a picture of your plants growing conditions. You say they are enclosed and some in high sides, etc. I would hope you could show a pic and also if they are on a light shelf, a pic of where they are growing. I have to change some growing conditions for some of mine as they are not growing and blooming as well as I would like and hopefully some of the pictures you post could help me. Thanks so much!

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks so much for the compliments! I'm actually not doing anything special and my plants have to endure neglect and oven-like temperatures in Summer.

This is my light stand:

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

That's one of the high sided but open containers. Clockwise from top left: Primulina tamiana, Saintpaulia 'Cirelda', Sinningia pusilla, Sinningia 'Country Tiger' x self.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Same container, side view:

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

This is a brandy snifter with Sinningia 'Mighty Mouse' in the center and some S. pusilla around it. There are also some little S. muscicola seedlings somewhere in there. Again: The container is not covered.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

And a top view:

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia pusilla unenclosed on wicks:

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia muscicola unenclosed on a pebble tray:

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Fishtank with most of my new micros, some sprouting Sinningia tubers and a whole lot of other Gesneriads... :)

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

As usual, too busy talking about myself... LOL

Lynn: Spectacular plants! Wow! Thanks for posting!

Thanks Olaf.Loved your too,especially your fishtank.I always used mine for Rex Begonias,but I'm not growing them right now....too many other plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.