October Photos and Chit Chat

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia 'Bright Eyes'. Once started, this one is unstoppable... :)

Thumbnail by bsimpson1972
Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia 'Lil' Tiger'. Getting started.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Episcia cupreata seedlings. Finally starting to look the part. :)

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Love the pictures Olaf.Amanda's Penny look like it's going to be a pretty orange.

Lynn

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks Lynn!

Actually, only the outside of the flower is this salmon orange. This is how the flower will look like:

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

I think that she's one of the prettiest, smaller growing Sinningias with eumorpha/conspicua type slipper flowers. Oh, and I also am in love with those ruffles... :)

Olaf

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

And one more for today: Sinningia 'Texas Zebra'

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia 'Amizade' - bud update.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Any day now...

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Very nice pics! Can't wait to see a bloom on Amizade. That is a nice little plant! Sis, you are showing some pretty blooms on here as well.

Connie

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Connie!

It's almost there... :)

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Oh, yes it is :) Anytime now. Forgot to add : Welcome back Pat!! Great to see you back on here.

Connie

Atco, NJ

Thank you, Connie! It's nice to be back. Still feels strange without Gail though. I hear from her once in a while, but she's awfully quiet lately.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Hey Pat!

Gail's fine. Just been busy lately. I chat with her often.

Oh, and although I know I'm bugging the heck out of everybody here but one final, last, ultimate time: Here's Sinningia 'Amizade' with her first two flowers open. Thanks Lynn! :)

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Closeup. I just love the contrasting colors and the spoted throat.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

And one last time from the side:

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

LOVE IT!! Wonderful job growing her

Connie

That's her all right! Good job Olaf!

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks everyone! And thank you, Lynn for making these shots possible in the first place! ;)

I'm glad you like her Olaf!

Lynn

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

That's the understatement of the decade... LOL

Seriously! She's my favorite mini Sinningia.

I just love everything fuzzy and everything that is simple and elegant. Well, 'Amizade' is a winner in all the above categories and on top of that, she's easy to grow and bloom and looks good with or without flowers. To quote Arleen Dewell "The Perfect Hybrid".

As you all well know, I'm simply in love with (almost) everything Sinningia. Well, I guess, that makes me a little biased... However, 'Amizade' has all the right qualities that one would expect from a good houseplant. Okay, she's not as flashy as other Gesneriads are but she's also very forgiving and absolutely not fussy, which unfortunately isn't always true of the more flashy ones...

'Amizade', in my opinion, is a very good way to get started with Sinningias in particular and Gesneriads in general.

Oh, and yes! I am pushing (mini) Sinningias here! LOL And y'all better not get me started on why EVERYBODY should grow at least one micro mini...

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

She's a winner for sure and your pics make her even more adorable. I was almost holding my breath in anticipation, hehe. Thanks for so many discoveries, keep it up!

Montgomery, AL

I went outside to bring some Alsobias and Nematanthus in for the winter and look what I found blooming. This Hemiboea subcapita and a shooting star hoya just made my day. The dogs have been enjoying them all week long, but didn't think to tell me!
Jamie

Thumbnail by jamiew

Oh Jamie,how beautiful!

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

This is so cool, Jamie!

Do you leave the Hemiboea outdoors for the Winter? Should be hardy in your area - at least temperature wise...

Montgomery, AL

Yes. I just leave it in the pot. All the hoyas need to come inside and that's a lot of trouble for me. There's just never enough window space!

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

This kind of sounds familiar... LOL

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Never heard of that one before. I'll have to research it and add to my list. It's adorable.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Hemiboea subcapitata:

http://gesneriads.ca/hemibo06.htm

http://www.plantdelights.com/Hemiboea-subcapitata-Perennial-Glossy-False-Sinningia/productinfo/7180/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dctropics/6115837403/

I think that I have some more info on it but I'll have to look for that. :)

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

That is the cutest plant ever. I have to get me one.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia 'Ozark Rosy Cheeks'

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Closeup of the flower:

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia 'Super Orange' (Maybe...). A flower, a bud and one fat seed pod... :)

It's a beauty Olaf.Probably is 'Super Orange'.Kinda hard to be sure.

http://www.gesneriads.ca/sinnin35.htm
Lynn

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks Lynn!

There aren't that many orange mini Sinningias and 'Super Orange' or one of its selfings seems likely. The funniest thing is that I received it labeled as 'Neesa'... LOL

Well it's a pretty safe bet it's not 'Neesa' LOL

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

It is, isn't it? LOL

http://www.davesviolets.com/sinnneesa.jpg

Montgomery, AL

Here's a first bloom of Chirita involucra that was grown from seed. Does anyone know anything about this one? I wonder if I can remove it from the dome yet?
Jamie

Thumbnail by jamiew

Jamie,
I don't know much about it,but it is Involucrata.Maybe that will help.

Lynn

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Eucodonia 'Tiny Tot':

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.