have Mountain Snow/Snow on The Mountain/ Eupborbia Marginata

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

This stunning plant brightens up the late summer/early fall garden. Self sows. If you don't want it to self sow just cut the plant before the seeds turn brown/tan. Euphborbia Marginate Pursh -

Here are to links to the plant. I will trade for sedum starts, Hummingbird Vine seeds, chicken/hens that are not the basic C/H, or white cosmo seeds. The number of seeds I trade is what ever is fair to you - DMAIL please. They are not ripe yet but I want to plan ahead.
Kathy

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Euphorbia+Marginata&view=detail&id=3B236C36346DA853AEEE0AD50FF73B1392976537&first=30&FORM=IDFRIR

http://www.visoflora.com/images/original/euphorbe-polichromia-visoflora-19954.jpg
Snow-on-the-mountain, Euphorbia marginata, which was new to science when collected by Lewis and Clark in 1806, soon became a common annual in 19th-century seed catalogues. Although its natural distribution is along the west side of the Missouri River in North Dakota, it proved adaptable to a wide range of soil types and growing conditions and likely escaped from cultivation into farmlands from Minnesota to Texas and New Mexico. Still other adaptable western species like the Western Jacob's ladder (Polemonium pulcherrimum) and even Lewis's prairie flax, the North American subspecies of the common European blue flax, never managed to captivate American nurserymen, even though they grow with equal vigor and beauty. Catalogues generally offered only the traditional garden-variety counterparts, probably because it was easier to acquire these perennials from seed sources abroad.

This message was edited Oct 21, 2011 7:51 PM

Büllingen, Belgium(Zone 6b)

Hi,

I'm interested in the seeds of Eupborbia Marginata.
Please have a look at my have list, or better: at my website: www.seedsite.eu
ALL my seeds are available for trading.

Kind regards,

Jonna

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

The seeds should dry this week. We had rain for 3 days. I've collected a few but they should brown quickly......

I owe one already from a trade and will get your seeds out as quickly as I can.

Jonna, I have no idea how to ship outside the U.S. what are the regulations?
Kathy

Büllingen, Belgium(Zone 6b)

Kathy, you can put the seeds in a small bubble envelope, we have no regulations about these seeds.

Please let me know what you would like in return.

Jonna

Columbus, OH

I have a lot of seeds and sedums, what would you like?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Kathy:

I have some sedums that are not your average . . . ... I also have some white cosmos 'Purity' seeds drying out there on the plant.

My trade list mostly seed. Please take a look and hope to hear from you.

A.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Amanda
I would like to trade for a start of 'Purple Emperor' sedum. My seeds are not ripe yet. I have a few that have browned but not enough to start trading. I am building the trade list for these seeds and thought they would have dried by now - crazy weather. If that would be a good trade for you I will send as many seeds as you want once they are ripe.

Celene,
I didn't see anything that I needed from your trade list. Do you have anything else that's not listed? I can do postage if necessary but trying to find a few things - do you have small house cactus?

Jonna,
Let me go look at your trade list.

I'll post back when seeds are ripe.......another week or so and I should have cups full.
Kathy

Columbus, OH

I don't have needly cactuses, just some epiphytes, like ric rac cactus. I have a bunch of sedums that aren't on my trade list, but they're petering out for the year, I'd hate to send them to you now. I have a bunch of seeds as well, if there's anything you're looking for, let me know.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I can do that Kathy - the critters have been digging at it so it is in the ground in several pieces. I will take some cuttings and root a couple for you. Thanks. :)

A.

(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 6a)

Shitzumom, I would like some of your Euphorbia. I have a trade list posted

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Diamond,
I just took a glance but your trade list is different than any I've seen. Do you have pictures of the pink/red peony poppy? That was the first thing that struck my mind in 3 seconds - so I need to review your list when I have more time.

Amanda - sold deal - I will let you know when seeds are ready for shipping.

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Hey Kathy,

I don't have anything you are asking for. In fact, I haven't even collected seed this year - they are still outside on the plants. I will look around and see what I have and hope to tempt you as I would love to have some of your euphorbia.

Brenda

Shihtzumom, I'm sorry I don't have any pictures.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi Kathy - just about ready with 2 maybe 3 small starts. They're green! But they did come from the purple emperor. I guess we are experiencing the same weather pattern. I'll let you know when they're ready to ship. Maybe early next week (oops! Thanksgiving!!!). Keep you posted. Don't want them to get stuck anywhere over the holiday. ;)

A.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

A.
do you think we should wait until spring to send the sedum? The seeds can be sent now or when your sedums get out of the ground in Feb/March. Whatever is easy but I don't think they will do so great here because the weather has gone down hill so quickly - snow yesterday. I will have seeds for you either time.
kathy

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

kathy I'll be happy to keep them in pots till spring. I was wondering what you would do with them as well. I am probably getting to a point where I wonder if it's too late to be shipping living things anyway.

My cuttings are inside and ready to pot up. I think they'll be fine. If not, there will be more sedum outside in the spring. If you need to wait to send the seed that's fine too. Just easier to have all your seeds lined up and easier to plan the garden in advance. Whatever you feel best. ;)

A.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

A. I will get the seeds out next week. I want to get them out of the way now that I have all I could collect. It's really cold in my area to be shipping plants. Are you in the address forum? If not, dmail me.
Kathy

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

KAthy yes I am in the addy exchange. I am alone today and I'm thankful (!!!) I will have time to do things like pot up these little sedums. They will keep just fine in my sunroom. ;)

Have a great day.

Loveya.
A.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I haven't been on DG in a few days. I will try to prepare the seeds after I get the Christmas tree up and a few things done. I haven't and won't forget
Kathy

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

No rush - enjoy the season. :)

A.

Center, TX

Hi, do you still have seeds? I would like to trade for butterfly mix or for postage. Let me know if interested. Merry Christmas, alday

Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6a)

I have plants of hens and chickens called "Cobweb", also plants of sedum Chocolate, Kamschaticum, and some of the larger Sedums for trade for plants or seeds

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

seeds out today to anita c, donna a, alexander f, amanda w,

Kathy

I got my seeds!!!! Thank you very much! You are quite generous. Do you have a list of seeds you are looking for?

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Diamond - enjoy the seeds

Center, TX

Hi, do you still have seeds? I will pay postage or trade butterfly mix seeds Please let me know. Thanks, alday

Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6a)

Hi Kathy
I didn't know about it beforeWhat a great plant! Too bad it is an annual, but I am looking forward to growing it from seed. Are there any tips you can give for its successful germination and culture?
Al Fitzburgh

Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6a)

Is there a difference between the Bishop's weed and the plant you are sending
out seeds for?

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

This isn't Bishops Weed. They sell these in a few of the seed catalogs but pricey. I've only seen them called names like Snow on The Mountain, Old Man on The Mountain (which I think another gardener said was the name of this plant but in the seed books it's not called that).

They self seed here. Not invasive for me but they are beautiful plants. They really brighten up the garden with their cool colors - refreshing color. They look good around evergreens or Joe Pye Weed, something dark to really make the contrast pop.

Enjoy and I have a few more seeds that I can send out to the few I missed.
Kathy

Shitzumom, do you have pictures of the snow on the mountain in your garden?

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Here is one but it's not a full grown plant at this stage but close. It's beautiful with Joe Pye Weed.

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

the leaves get whiter as the plant gets older. They start off as a gray green and by late summer they are almost pure white

Thumbnail by shihtzumom

Oh it is beautiful with Joe Pye Weed! Are your Joe Pye the miniature variety?

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

My Joe Pye gets around 6 feet tall. Neither of these plants are mature in the pictures.

My question is how long does it take for the Joe Pyre to make it to 6 ft? And do you cut it down every year?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Ha - my joe pye is dependent on conditions, but it takes a year or two after sowing to get that high!

I don't cut my plants down till spring and new growth - I leave most of my plants up for wildlife use as shelter or for seeds.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I also leave my dead stalks for the birds. Joe Pye grows wild here but I would never start that from seed. I purchased or traded for the plant. You should post on the plant trading that you would like Joe Pye for postage or trade. IF I see them in the summer I will dig some but it will probably be then before I can find them along road sides. This is one plant I wouldn't want to wait on to grow from seed because it's so beautiful.

Kathy

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Ha ha - yeah Kathy - I'm crazy that way and start everything from seed. Especially my natives because not everybody has these weird weeds that I'm fond of!

Believe it or not I started Joe Our last year from seed for a friend. I gave it all away. LOL Now I'm kicking myself.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

sending out seeds to Brenda M.

Who is left? Let me know who needs the seeds. Kathy

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.