Growing Perrenials Indoors

Lancaster, PA

I just got two plants and want to ensure that I have them survive until Spring. If I plant one out and reserve one to keep inside, are there any special considerations for growing a perrenial in a pot? The plants, in this case, are Lady's Mantle.
Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

If you want them to survive until spring - plant them now, or over-winter them in their current containers in an unheated garage on the floor, throwing a little snow on them from time to time to ensure the soil doesn't go completely dry. Trying to over-winter at temperatures above 42* is a decidedly bad idea and will reduce the likelihood of survival to something less than 10% and pretty much ensure that any surviving plants will grow poorly in the subsequent growth period. They NEED a cold rest. Mother Nature knows best.

Al

Lancaster, PA

Thanks, Al. I thought yours was the most likely answer. Just didn't want to believe it!

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

I often have customers ask about keeping perennials indoors during our winter months. My usual response is to say that they would be happier living outdoors, unless it's something from a warmer growing zone.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.