More light for your plants this Winter.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

I need all the light I can get for my plants over the Winter. It may not sound like much but here's something I do: take your screens down/out for the Winter. If I do open a window briefly for some fresh air, bugs wil not be an issue. I have done tests on my screens and on others. The average window screen blocks around 50% of the light. Not apparent to the human eye but 50%! To your plants this is a huge difference.

Helena, MT

I missed this thread gasrocks. I am removing two of the window screens from my south facing windows TODAY! Good point.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Good to hear. Does make a difference!

Helena, MT

Hidden Jewels...I spend several hours a day browsing through DG threads looking for those obscure ideasf. Sometimes they are great discoveries of the obvious which just seem to make me wonder what dark place my head was in. I like to think of DG as a think-tank where I can go and find those jewels of information which can set me on a whole new path of discoveries. Of late I have been trying to figure out ways to garden indoors during our long winters, using what space I have available, and ideas such as this gasrock add to the mix.

Haslett, MI

What do you think about supplementing with lights? I was using a 'sunlight' lamp for my SADD and noticed that my plants seemed to thrive more. I've been looking at some special low energy plant lighting too and found these: https://www.owlyn.com/commercial-t5-fluorescent-2ft-2-tube-system-w-tubes.html

Is this a good price from what you might have seen?

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

T5 is the way to go for sure but you can do so much better price wise than that.

Haslett, MI

Great! Send me some links with better prices then!

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

I got a 2 foot 2 bulb fixture form Home Depot on-line for $50. More bang for buck are the 4 foot 2 bulb fixtures.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.