It's September! Come chat with us!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1209430/

Please join us here with your chat and comments and/or questions. :o)

Thumbnail by marsue
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I don't need any more shrubs. I just thought they were very interesting. May be hard to keep trimmed but they really have pretty leaves!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

That's why I bought them in the first place. I liked the way they looked but I had no idea they would grow and spread the way they do! I may have to dig them up and put them along the back fence where they will have room to grow. I can find something that will stay small to put in their place in the front flower bed.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I've decided I need to stop going to doctors for awhile!! I had a couple of spots taken off my lower back a couple of weeks ago and they sent them off to be biopsied. Just went in for a routine skin check expecting them to just look me over and send me on my way.....instead she found spots she felt needed to be looked at. They called me today and one of them had as they called it "changing cells" and she felt more of the area needed to be cut out to make sure they got all those cells!! So I've got to go to a general surgeon and have more cut out!!! Going the 19th to have that done! I've been to some kind of doctor just about every week for the last 4 or 5 months and I'm tired of it!! OK I've vented now I'm better!!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Yes I know you are tired of it but TG you went and they found both this spot and your thyroid!!! They would have just gotten worst and as bad as this is that would be worst!!!!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Yes Jeri I know!!! I just went to the dermatologist because my PC doctor asked when I had had my skin checked last and said I needed to go in and get it checked and set the appointment up for me. The spots they took off were on my back around my waist area. I couldn't even see them. Yes I'm glad I went despite my complaining!!!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Charlotte, I agree with Jeri. I know you are tired of going to the doctor every week but thank God, they have found these things early when it is easier to do something about them! I had three moles removed last March. They were just ordinary moles but they were ugly so I had them taken off by my PC doctor. I had some others that I wanted removed but she didn't want to do them--she said a dermatologist would have to do it but it wasn't an emergency. I just went this past Monday and had the others done. The dermatologist said none of them looked dangerous but he did send one off to have it biopsied. I haven't heard back from them yet so I suppose no news is good news.
We will be praying that all goes well with your procedure on the 19th and that all reports come back normal!!

Ripley, MS

I am very tired tonight, but I am wondering what in the world is a PC doctor--it that a new term I have not heard of. I call my primary physician, my GP--but my brain keeps going to computers when I see PC ???????????

We listed Mamma's house today with the realtor. It was so hot there and it took about 2 hours, I hope Pat is not sick from being in the heat. She has had a hard week this week anyway, one of her friends had some extensive shoulder surgery and she has been taking her to therapy and took her today to the doctor. She is very tired, she has to take her to therapy tomorrow too.

I want to tell you all that Mamma's "pew mate" from church has cancer and they have given her 6 months to live. Pat has cleaned for this lady in the past when she was more able. Pat went by to visit her today and they have hired a lady to sit with her and Pat was very upset. The kitchen was a mess and she said the whole house smelled like a toilet. Pat is probably going to take over sitting with her when her friend is able to drive herself again, she was so upset, the lady is 94, she is still able to be up and has already made arrangements to go to a hospice house when she has to go. The house she lives in was built by her Mother and Daddy. It is very old and has some priceless antiques in it, Pat could not stand to think that the person they hired is just sitting there and watching TV all day. I have very mixed feeling about this, I am afraid it will be too much on Pat to watch this dear lady go down, she and I both are still so much in grief, missing our Mamma, I know Pat can use the money, and I think she could handle it physically, but it is the emotional part that I am concerned with. I am like Charlotte, I guess I just needed to "vent". Mamma's first cousin Alcy died shortly after Mamma, then Pat has had 2 sister in laws die this year. The 29th of August was the 13th anniversary of her husbands murder. She has had a lot of emotional things happen this year and I am just worried about her watching someone else die.

The lady's name is Mary Frances, and she and Mamma sat together in church for 30 years, they were very close. We also went and spent a few minutes with Mamma's very "bestest friend", Virginia.. I wanted to tell her what we had done, so she would not go by and see the sign up, but she told us she still can't even look that way when she passes. She is a few years older than Mamma and she always thought she would go first. She and Mamma talked 3-7 times a day sometimes on the phone, rode to church together and went to the beauty shop together every Friday. They worked together at the shirt factory for years and years.They could see each others house after the tornado came through and cleared out some trees between them. She is still grieving for Mamma like it just happened last week, she was so glad we came to see her.

Charlotte, maybe just a trip or two will take care of these new problems, I surely hope so, I have dentist and doc appts this month. The doc one is a fasting diabetes one, I always dread those, but I scheduled the first appt when I made it so maybe I can get out of there and have something to drink soon. I can take the not eating, but the not drinking is for the BIRDS !!! I need my fluids--LOL
Thanks for the new thread Marilyn!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Sandra PC is my Primary Care doctor. I had always called them a General Practitioner (GP) before but they've come up with these new fangled terminology now!
I'm glad you all decided to list your mama's house. Hopefully your realtor can get it sold soon. I think that will be a big burden off you when it sells. I know you miss her terribly but maybe that will help you in the grieving process. I can remember when I closed my dad's house down and we put it up for sale. I spent several weeks working in the area so I could spend the night there. I would spend my time going through things and boxing them up. It finally got to the point just about the only thing left was the bed I was sleeping on. My brother would come over and help me some nights. He just couldn't understand how I could stay in the house by myself and go through all the stuff. Somehow it was my way of dealing with my grief. I think we each have to figure out our own way. Then just a few years after my dad died my brother suddenly died. When suddenly my whole birth family was gone but me it just seemed to change my outlook on things. It's hard to explain but my outlook and priorities changed. You will get better - it just takes time!

I should only have to go and have the spot cut out and then hopefully just go back and have the stitches removed. Yes I'm glad they are catching all this stuff even through I hate having to deal with it. I'm just glad I've got very good supplemental insurance and can go to whatever doctor I want without any kind of referral and any doctor is always glad to have me as a patient as they know they will get paid. Whatever medicare doesn't pay my supplement pays. I don't have to pay any kind of co-pay or additional cost. Of course I pay a lot for the coverage but glad I can still do that. This has also been one of those wellness check years in addition to my thyroid surgery. Just in the last couple of months I had my mammogram, a pap smear, and my skin check. Don't think there's must left to check!! LOL Also my endocrinologist has had me come in for blood work every week since my surgery. They draw about 5 vials every time I go so my blood has been thoroughly checked too! I think he's finally tapering that off! Thank goodness!

My dentist wants replace a filling with a crown on one of my teeth. I've already had 4 done is the last couple of years. I've put it off because I had too many other things to deal with but guess I'll finally go ahead and schedule that too!!

This message was edited Sep 1, 2011 11:23 PM

Ripley, MS

Of course it is Primary Care--my brain is just not working today--well yesterday now-LOL---Jerry is working 10 hour shifts and doesn't get home until 2 am, thats enough to mess with your brain--LOL !!!

It makes me sad to go there, I told Pat today that Mamma is in our hearts, she wanted that house sold and that is what we are going to do ! Pat cried telling Virginia that she thought she would have to give her key to the agent and she couldn't go over there any more. I don't want to go there, nothing is there, it just makes me sad to see it empty.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Sandra I'm so sorry this is so hard for you and Pat!!! I thought the same way you did about my grandmother's house. I couldn't bear the thought of someone else living there, but my cousin bought it and re-modeled it and I love it!!! I know that my grandmother was singing in heaven to see her home look so good. I hope a loving family buys your mom's house and you can see it come alive again!!!

I couldn't figure PC out either until you said Primary Physician and it clicked in my brain. I have had a head cold since Tue. and am not thinking clearly between the congestion and the cold medicine, I'm not sure what is making me feel worst!!!!! Oh, Jim and Ashley are both sick and talked to DD last night and she is sick too. Must be in the air!!!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Sandra, big hugs to you and Pat! Having "been there, done that", I know what you and Pat are experiencing with all those emotions but we each have to deal with it in our own way. I still can't drive by my former home in Cabot. When I am down there, which is not often, I won't even go that way. Too many memories there and no sense in letting myself get bogged down emotionally. One of these days I will be able to do it but not right now. God will walk through this with you and Pat, but I know you already know that. Love you, dear friend!

Charlotte, I have had 7 crowns put on this year--the 4 in front had to be done twice because the first set cracked. (They replaced them free of charge the second time around!) Once it is all over, you will be glad you had it done, but I know you, too, know that already. :o) When I was a little girl, right after my permanent teeth had come in, I fell down on the pavement one day and broke off my two front teeth slightly. They filed them to even them up and I lived with them like that until I was in my 30's. By then, they had started to wear down so I had them crowned. Those crowns lasted 30 years or more but it was time for new ones. I had the teeth on either side crowned, too, so they would all look alike. One of the eye teeth had a cavity and it would have required a root canal eventually so I just went ahead and took care of it before it got to that point. I feel like I can smile again without being embarrassed about my teeth. I just thank the Lord that I have had the funds to take care of the things like the teeth and the mole removal. I'm praying that nothing else needs "fixing", though! LOL

Jeri: you folks down there in Louisiana all get well soon! Hugs to you!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Houses do hold lots of memories! It wasn't so hard for me to sell my dad's house as it was just the finality of closing it down. The house itself really didn't hold lots of memories for me as I had never lived in the house. My parents sold the house I grew up in and moved to Texas when I was around 30.. When dad retired they moved back and bought another house. But I can certainly see how difficult it would be to let go of a house that has been a part of your life for so long. My oldest cousin (in his mid 80's) lives in Baton Rouge and is in poor health. But he has kept his parents house in north LA and used it as a weekend retreat. Another cousin and I are dong some family research and his daughter has told us she will meet us there when it gets cooler and let us look through the house to see if there is anything that would be of help to us. He has left everything like his mother had it. His mother was my dad's favorite sister and we visited her often. I have such fond memories of the house I can't wait to be able to go and just "visit" the house whether we find anything or not!

Yes Jeri you all get well!!

Marilyn I know the crown will be better and I will get it done. I just couldn't deal with all the crown business and my treatment at the same time. About the only teeth I have that aren't crown's are my front teeth!! I even have one implant! Glad you got all your work behind you! Can't wait to see your new smile!!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I took some pictures yesterday of some things that are blooming in the yard. Mainly tropicals. My brugmansias are doing really well! The big white one is a NOID that I've had for a long time. I had it in the ground and it never did anything. It would come back but it took it so long to grow back it never put out but a few blooms. I cut it off before frost one year and rooted it and have it in a pot now and look at it!!

https://picasaweb.google.com/charlotte.perdue1/August2011Flowers

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I can't remember if I mentioned it or not, but I opened a booth in a "antique mall" to try and get rid of some of the "stuff" in my garage, attic and storage buildings! I thought about doing a garage sale but couldn't handle having to drag all that mess out at one time and try and price it. Also thought I might could get more for it this way. I didn't start putting stuff in until last Mon and by this Sat (just 5 days) I had almost sold enough to cover my rent for the month. I think I may get the bug again and keep the booth to play with. I used to do this long time ago and had so many booths I finally ended up opening a store. This time around one small booth will be more than sufficient for me but I think I will enjoy having a reason to go out and do estate and garage sales again. For those that have been in my house you know I certainly don't have room for anything else in my house so I haven't been going to those places. When I started my booths years ago, if I found something I really liked I would buy it and then sell something in my own house I didn't like as well.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Wow, so much going on, I've been gone 3 days, trying to catch up here, not sure if I can, charlotte. I hate to hear that you can't stay out of that doctor's office. I sure hope that spot on your back is your last trip for along time.

Sandra, I feel so bad for pat having to watch that happen to a dear friend of your mama's. I sure hope she's up to helping her out. you have been through so much. I wasn't close to my mom like you and pat are. Hate to hear of all the health problems.

how's cindy doing? Hope she's doing better.

i've enjoyed my 3 days off so much, I don't want to go back to work. but I guess I will since danny's not won the lottery yet.

Ripley, MS

where did you go Kathy Ann? Charlotte, sounds like great success on the new booth! I have missed yard sales and junking since Jerry went on night. We don't get up early enough to go to any now.

I think Pat has decided she is not able to take over staying with Mary Frances. I am glad, she could use the money, but not for the emotional part of watching her get worse every day.

We got lots of rain this week end, hope it was in time to keep some of the plants alive.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Still no rain here! I had to water this morning.
Sandra I'm glad Pat decided not to take care of Mary Frances. That's a hard thing to do physically as well as emotionally and especially if you are really close to that person

I think I'm going to enjoy my booth. The good thing is I can quit anytime I want! I took a lot of the stuff I took with me to the flea market in Memphis. I haven't taken any of the dichoric pendants however. I am going to take one tray of them but just haven't gotten around to it.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Sandra have you heard from Cindy lately??? How is she doing????

Ripley, MS

Yes, she called today and is doing well with the back problem, but trying to walk has aggravated the arthritis in her hip, she is really needing to get a shot for that as it is very important for her to do her walking right now.
She has done really well.

If you take your pendants, you need a locked case of some kind to put them in. They will sure walk away as pretty as they are!!!
I wore mine to church a couple of weeks ago and everyone that sees it, just loves it.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Glad to hear Cindy is still doing good!! Hope she can get under arthritis under control!!

I can't put them in a locked case. They don't do locked cased there. That's why I haven't taken any yet. What I'm thinking about doing is just taking a few and see what happens. I did take one pair of the earrings. I have a lot more but just thought I would see what happens with the jewelry before taking much of it. One person that just opened a booth makes jewelry and her prices are ridiculous!! She was asking $40.00 for one bracelet I looked at and it was just some beads strung together. (one strand). Watch her sell hers and mine not sell!! LOL

Ripley, MS

Isn't that just the way it goes! I have a hard time giving my stuff away---LOL

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Hello everyone - trying to catch up! Been busy at work (on the days I have been here) trying to make up for being at all these doctor appts. Went to the pulmonologist last week in LR and have to go back once next week and once the week after for some specialized tests . One just checks lung function, and the other checks for asthma. I have also been back to the local clinic because I was "burning" so bad in my chest. They think it was reflux related, but could be I have ulcers in my throat or stomach, could have a hernia, etc..... could also be caused from the predinsone they had me on..... so next week they put a scope down my throat to take a look. Guess eventually they might figure out what is going on.......

I worked at Alex's all Saturday and Sunday, but Monday we stayed home and did some things around the house. I even spent several hours of the day sitting on a bucket cleaning out my jungle that had been where I was going to do my foundation planting. I could breathe much better with the lower humidity and temps - plus I moved REALLY slow.... didn't come close to getting finished but I did manage to do over half of the bed. NOW, if I could just find some time to finish it.

Ya'll please say a prayer for Alex today. He was not pleased with how he did on his first test, and his second test is today. It is imperative that he do well on it - but he is so stressed I am not sure how he will do. He is studying so much he isn't eating right! 16 - 18 hrs a DAY!! I don't see how he does it...... but I know it is necessary. Just please say a prayer that he will be calm and at peace and not stressed to the max so he can do his best. The test starts at 1.

Kyle is loving OBU. He did come home this past weekend and help Leigh replace the floor joists in the bathroom that we had to tear out. They got the floor joists replaced and the subfloor down so that was a major accomplishment for the weekend! I sure appreciated him being willing to help on his holiday because I wasn't where I could do it!

Jessi has a FULL load this year! She had homework she worked on ALL weekend.... it was ridiculous! She is taking three AP classes, and also a college algebra class out at Tech. She stays busy all the time with assignments! She also works part time at Merle Norman.... This Saturday she takes the ACT again too.

We got some rain here on Saturday and Sunday, but when I was working in the beds on Monday it was obvious that the ground was still bone dry - so we didn't get much actual rainfall. :( Sure hope we get some soon. They had a wildfire about 20 miles from us and had to evacuate several homes because they were afraid they were going to lose the houses...... I don't remember them ever doing that anywhere around here before! They did manage to get the fire under control without losing any homes. It is a scary thought though because the winds were really high that day.

Hope everyone is doing well. Maybe I can do a better job of keeping up with the threads............
Genna

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

So glad to hear that Cindy's back is doing well but sorry to hear about the arthritis acting up. I just pray that Cindy gets relief from the infirmities that have plagued her these last few years! Hugs to you, Cindy!

Genna: I sure hope they can find out what your "problem" is. You certainly have your hands full what with all the kids and their activities and your work and everything else!

We are dry here, too. Really need some rain bad. The drought is one reason I haven't started on my new flower beds yet, plus the heat we had in August. This week has been delightful as far as the weather is concerned but the ground is hard as a rock.

Ripley, MS

Genna, did they do a gallbladder test on you yet? Some of your symptoms sound very familiar, I had gallbladder attacks for several months before I got mine out, and yes, it is hard to breathe when you have one--- I had one in front of a lady that watched her husband have heart attacks and she wanted to call 911

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Had it removed in 1992 while I was pregnant with Kyle........ so that's not it ...... :( Although every doctor I have seen has asked me about it ! :)

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Genna I've always had allergy problems and was having a lot of problems several years ago. I went to a allergy doctor and they did all those test where they scratch your back. She also did a lung function test and told me I had some asthma. Had never heard that before and didn't consider I was having problems breathing. But according to there measure I had a lower than normal lung function. She put me on a couple of meds that I took for a couple of years and finally just stopped and haven't had any problems since. So you could have some asthma or other allergy problems if you are doing better in low humidity.

Ripley, MS

Glad to know the gallbladder is ruled out, and if you are like me I am GLAD mine is gone, man those things can give you PAIN --big time !

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Hope you are feeling better soon Genna and they can correctly find the problem soon!!!!

Sandra I hate to hear of your flare up with that bad weather but am glad to hear you are feeling better and I'm glad Cindy is progressing so well!!! Maybe we can all be well enough to do a nursery crawl in the spring.

Charlotte I'm glad to hear that you are feeling well enough to overdo as normal!!!! I have no doubt that you will clear that garage, sell the car( and by the way if you aren't comfortable with people coming to your home, meet them at a public place instead to show it by appt.) and do well at your booth to boot!!!!! Good luck!!!!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Jeri I had thought of that too - but what if they want to drive it??? I've sold a car before by running an ad and they came to my house to look at it but that was 20 years ago and things have changed and I guess I've changed my attitude too!!

Ripley, MS

I have not used E-bay Motors, but Cindy got her car she uses at the deer camp from E-bay, remember last summer she had Ray and Terrye check it out and then she came up and got it and drove it back, she was well pleased with it.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I know of some people that have sold cars on ebay motors and it's been an easy process. Also the car I'm trying to sell is more specialized. A collector or someone that wants to show it will be the buyer. It's not a car someone will buy just to drive. Several similar cars have been on there recently and I've been watching them to see what they sell for. He's willing to take less than what some of them have been asking (and didn't sell) in order to get rid of it. There's a car wash close by that has a guy that will detail for 25.00. Not the kind of detail that you gets for 100,00 for good enough for me. Need to take it to him tomorrow. I even cleaned the motor off the other day. It has a big silver thing over the airfilter and I took it off and cleaned it really good. I've gotten the battery thing down good!! I let my truck battery run down also - so I trickle charged both batteries and if I don't start them again I'll be doing it again. We have too many vehicles!

Yes Jeri I'm back to my normal self!!!! YEAH! I just realized that this week. They have finally gotten all my levels back to normal and I don't have to go back to the endocrinologist for six months. This has made me realize what a tough time people like Mary have!! Mine was minor compared to what she has been through and I can just imagine how all the treatments she's had has affected her.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I always just let them drive it by themselves. We have insurance on then and the person leaves their car here. I've always worked the sales lot for our mobile home lots and truthfully I can say that I have never been afraid of my customers. Now some of our empoyees did scare me until I got to know them and most of them were very nice!!!!

Yes I think Mary is a trooper too!!! I never knew she was this strong!!! Did I tell Yall that she is getting her teeth hopefully pulled soon. The chemo caused her teeth to become like chalk and they just broke off. The sharpness of the broken teeth keep her mouth in constant pain. She has just been through the storm for sure!!! It is a testament to her character for sure!!!! She told me the other day that I won't let her rest. Yall know what I told her...we would rest when were dead. In the mean time...

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

LOL, Jeri! That sounds just like you! I am sure that you are one of the reasons that Mary has kept going through all her trials and tribulations. You won't let her quit--thank goodness! Although it does takes her own willingness to keep on going, too. :o)

Yayyy!!! Charlotte is "level" again!! Good news! Re: the car and ebay. My friend Sidney (sugarweed) from Florida bought a mustang convertible on ebay. I was down there in Florida with her when she went to pick it up--I even got to drive it first! :o) (She had rented another car to drive down to pick it up and she was the one who was approved for driving the rental, not me.) Anyway, she was real pleased with it--the guy represented the car correctly and as far as I know, she has been real happy with it.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Ebay is pretty strict on there sellers and your listing includes a car fax (or whatever it's called) so you can see the history of the car. Then the buyer has to put up a $500 deposit within 24 hours.

So Mary didn't have to have any more chemo?? I know she'll be glad when she gets those teeth out and new ones in! Yes Jeri you are her cheerleader!!! You keep her going!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

We'll know more about the chemo in Nov. the Dr. said if it is cancer it's the slowing growing kind and he wants her to get her teeth fixed!!!!! It's been over 2 weeks but she hasn't been approved for the dentures yet. I've been busy with my BIL this week and I guess I'll have to check on the dentures Monday for her.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

What would they all do without you!!!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I thought it was our Christian duty to help when we can. I'm not doing anything more than that!!! We should all help each other!!!

Ripley, MS

You are right Jeri, but like Charlotte, it seems you have more folks depending on your help, than most of us do. Thank the Lord you are there for them.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

You are absolutely right Jeri!!! Like you I was taught that family takes care of family!!! Also that you take care of friends and others in need! "We should have a servant's heart!"

Got photos of the convertible taken this afternoon. It was overcast and a perfect time to take pictures. Now to the next step!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.