A reminder to BEE careful bringing those plants inside !

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

OK, I know it is a little eary to start bringing in those plants that had a summer vacation outside but I am anxious to see if they will fit inside. I am up to over 700 now, had "only" 495 last fall. After a healthy summer some need repotting for sure. One took me by suprize. I need to get it out of its pot - did I use that old table knife to dig in it and disturb it? No. Did I just hold it upside down and dump it out? No. I grabbed the plant to yank it out and YEOW! Bee sting on the finger. Didn't know I could run that fast to get an ice cube. Look before grabbing. With other plants that I will bring in later, I have started spraying with Safer insect soap. Good to start 2 weeks before bringing them in - the ones that might have spider mites is what I am thinking about. Also watch for ants and other insects if you had anything on the ground. Over the last 3 years I have brought in probably a dozen or more Tree Frogs as well. One Jan. afternoon I am at my desk when suddenly a frog jumps onto my computer keyboard. Bee careful people.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

gasrocks---

I treat all my plants that I will be bringing in with Espoma Systemic Granules about 2 weeks before
they come in. It will kill anything that has set up housekeeping in your pots in no time at all--
and get in the "system" of the plants to kill any sucking insects in the near future.

It may be hard to find--but check your independent garden Centers. The Box Stores do not carry it any more...

Gita

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

I have some Systemic but only use it as a last resort. Makes the whole plant poision. Not good for pets and visitors.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.