Indoor water hose and wand

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

I have a lot of house plants to water. Thought about getting some kinda long hose and wand set-up. I do have a garden hose adapter for my kitchen sink already. None of the reviews at Amazon impressed me enough to buy what all they offer. Could I just go to the local hardware store and have them put together a wand (w/ trigger), fittings and perhaps some 1/4" vinyl tubing? Don't need a lot of pressure or volume. Any ideas?

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

The more I think about it, I'll just stick to my usual watering can. For plants that are hard to reach with the can, I use a small cup that I fill from the water can.

This message was edited Sep 11, 2011 8:26 AM

Helena, MT

gasrocks. I was hoping your thread would gerenrate some responses. I have been considering watering methods for my potted indoor/outdoor pepper plants which are prone to aphid attach once moved inside. The only idea I came up with is using a portable chemical pressure sprayer since aphids don't like water sprayed on them. What did you come up with when you checked Amazon?

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

I do have something on the way here which looks good (for watering.) Will report later this week when I have it in hand and have used it. I have no aphids. I use Safer Insect Soap spray. Does not smell up my house, does not kill my fish and does work on spider mites well - if you keep after them = repeated spraying.

Helena, MT

gasrocks, I appreciate the suggestion on Safer Insect Saop spray. I keep fish as well. Where do you purchase this product?

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Amazon.com - where else? The only spray I have ever seen that does work and does not hurt fish.

This message was edited Sep 19, 2011 5:20 PM

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Around here you can find the Safer soap at Home Depot & other places along those lines as well as local nurseries.

As far as an indoor watering wand, I bought a relatively inexpensive one somewhere online and it works just fine. I think I got it from Gardeners Supply or somewhere like that.

Helena, MT

That's interesting you mention Amazon.com for garden supplies. I have been a big fan of Amazon and just recently ordered some seed starting supplies from them. I never gave it much thought before until I compared prices with other garden supply sources. With their free shipping they are hard to beat. I prefer to purchase locally if possible though so I plan to check out a couple of sources as ecrane3 mentioned.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I haven't had good luck with indoor watering hoses. Might just be that I am too impatient and many of my house plants are really large and require a good bit of water. I had one years ago that attached to my kitchen faucet and then a few years ago given a portable tank that you fill with water and there is a hose attached to that. The real problem was that both hoses were pretty thin and took way too long to water all my plants. If I had smaller plants that took less water I might have been happier with the inside hoses.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

My problem is that I have many, many small plants that are hard to reach. I can easily get at the larger plants with my watering can.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I have a children's watering can I bought for my GS. It's an elephant with the trunk as a spout. I use that for my smaller plants. Sometimes in the summer I have been know to just open the sliding door and bring the garden hose inside to water the biggest pots.

Helena, MT

I have over 30 potted pepper plants which I will be transferring to an 8' x 12' hoop house for the winter months. The hoop house is outside presently, but will be moved into my 30' x 40' shed for the winter months. I am set up with artificial light and heat but no water available at the shed so I will have to rely on a portable method of watering. I will most likely use a bottom watering method for the most part by inserting the 2.5 gallon pots in some plastic pans which I purchased from $ General. However, the aphid situation still will require some form of spray watering. I'm concerned that the portable chemical pressure sprayers will be a bit much. If the weather allows I could individually take the plants outside and use a garden hose which is hooked up to both hot and cold water but that could be a real pain. There has to be a gentler, kinder way out there somewhere...

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Guess I do not see the connection 'tween a pressure water spray and aphids. Are you just knocking them off the plants? The label on Safer Insect Soap says: May be used up to day of harvest.

This message was edited Sep 21, 2011 8:46 AM

Helena, MT

Right gasrocks...point taken. Thanks

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AQNQ4Q - - -

Just arrived and I am thrilled!! Make sure you get yours direct from Amazon, of course. Not very expensive, IMO. First thing I did was remove part #34, the cup, and adjusted it from spray to stream. Now I have just what I wanted - the ability to deliver a controlled amount of water to any plant. Many of my plants require that I water them and not put/leave water in the crown. Now, I can hit the pots exacty. Nice size. Not too heavy to hold and doesn't need that much pumping or refilling. Larger would be too heavy, smaller = not enough water. One word of warning - shortening the wand does make water come out of the nozzle (in the middle of use, contents under pressure.) This is better than a hose attached to the faucet as I can always add fertz. or Super Thrive, etc. to the water when called for. Of course, another example of Murphy's Law, I just watered everything (the old fashioned way) this morning just before it arrived. I'll be anxious to see how many plants it does on one fill. Does anyone here employ foliage spraying to their house plants? This would also be just the thing it seems.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Ok, a follow-up. Still smiling every time I pick up my sprayer. So fun to be able to deliver a controlled amount of water to small pots I cannot reach. Not on the plant or shelf but in the pot. Took me one fill to realize that I can control the pressure by not pumping it so much. I can see that I will probably even be using it outdoors in the summer time. I do still use my water can for the larger plants, but they are easy to reach. It was getting to the point where watering was a becoming a chore. Of course my own fault I realize for packing in so many pots. But, not anymore.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Glad you like it. I will have to check it out. I am traveling now and when I get home I will have a ton of plants to move inside.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Do look at it. One of those "How did I live w/o this before" things. I'm over 800 pots/plants now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.