What's being ripped, yanked or pulled out?

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Ok...I had a some good responses on the "best performer". Now, what was the worst? What are you going rip, yank, dig or pull out?

Anything that just didn't cut it for some reason? For me, I guess it's going to have to be my sweet woodruff. It did TOO well, lol. It spread far and wide. The only good thing was the drought part of the summer killed a bunch for me so it won't be so hard to get rid of the rest.

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

my hair?

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

LOL

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

I bought 2 Lycoris bulbs from Plant Delights for $15 each.
Neither one did anything just laid in the ground and died.

An expensive lesson.

Paul

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Oh, Paul! How terrible! I'm still gonna have to do something with the Chrysathemums and Lantana. They
are really consuming a lot of room.

"eyes"

Agawam, MA

Easy answer for me - Hardy Ageratum. It grew and grew and grew and spread all summer, then put finally out these teeny tiny flowers on all that foliage just before frost. It was way too selfish for my garden!
Cindy

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

Liriope(creeping/solid green), and Lambs ear! They got the boot!

Pull out? As in Pull Out a plant?

I'm in shock LOL

Ottawa, ON(Zone 4a)

Will be removing the birdsfoot trefoil. Lovely plant, but I don't have the right conditions for it. It needs sun and lots of it. However, I'm going to scatter seeds in the bald places in the common area lawn around our townhouses. Don't tell on me!

Greenlawn, NY(Zone 6B)

Jody, I love sweet woodruff--hard to find around here.
Would you be willing to share some or did you already get rid of it? I had some years ago that I found in Vermont and then I moved to a new house and didn't take it with me.

Send me an e-mail--or is it too late to plant it now in Zone 6B?

SandyR

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

I am always pulling out trumpet vine can't get rid of it, it spreads everywhere. Out in my yard, in my path, on top the house...... lol

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Lambs ears that took over an entire island bed in a single season! Excess japanese anemones, sweet allysum that is smothering miniature roses and me out of this chair and into bed!

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Wisteria! 7 years and not a bloom on it.Tried pruning,ignoring,fertilizing and patience,I let it cover one whole side of my house at one point.Cutting it to 5 foot and see if it makes a tree form,if not,the whole thing goes!!!Bought a pink one on ebay,suppose to get here next week.What a sucker I am!!!

This message was edited Saturday, Apr 6th 8:53 AM

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Yup,Yup,Yup!!The roots are why I'm going to try to grow it into a tree.The thought of digging those suckers out.....

This message was edited Saturday, Apr 6th 8:53 AM

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

tig, wisteria can take up to 7 years to bloom from seed.
the biggest problem about getting it to bloom is pruning.
if you prune in the fall or early spring, you end up cutting off all the flower buds.
when dh moved in he called himself helping me by pruning the 100+ yo wisteria. needless to say i didnt see the blooms until the next year.
just a thought as to why it hasnt bloomed for you.

This message was edited Saturday, Apr 6th 8:54 AM

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Jody do you mean pull out a plant as in "throw it away"? As my DD would say "how could you?"

oops, forgot this was perennials.

This message was edited Monday, Oct 22nd 8:42 AM

Circleville, OH(Zone 8b)

I am moving my lambs ear to around the grain bins, I love it but is dose take over and is a mess to get rid of. That was the only major problem I had this year knock on wood. Knock Konck!! LOL

Mike

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

silverking wormswood-its got to go!!

Sykesville, MD(Zone 7b)

I've heard it can take 10 years for a wisteria to bloom. They need good sun, too. Crestedchik, did you bid on that wisteria that is suppose to get 4 ft. blooms? I bid on one 2 years ago.. got it last year. I paid $30 for it and if it really does produce 4 ft. long blooms, I'll wait 20 years ! ~ Irene =)

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

20 yrs for wisteria, wow!!! I have a wisteria that I am training into a tree. It was about 1 1/2' tall when I got it 4 years ago. It is now about 4' tall and this spring really put on a show for me, the first 2 years there were no flowers at all and just a couple last year. I prune mine all year long practically to keep it in tree shape. It has also been root pruned the past 2 falls, but only because I wanted to move it and couldn't get all the roots up, LOL.

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

Achillea 'The Pearl'. Have been trying for a few years now to remove all traces of this one. It came in a bag of mixed wildflower seeds, and was about the only thing that bloomed. It travels by underground runners, and comes back from the smallest piece... Sort of a dirty white color flower anyway, but the ferny foliage was pretty, at first. Now this area is a bed of sedums and sempervivums, with an echinops. John

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

He He John! I remember when we traded and you told me you had that Achillea and that I did not want it. THANK YOU!!!

Muncy, PA(Zone 5a)

Black-eyed susans!! They are taking over everything.

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

My first Stinging Nettle! Don't know where it came from, I let it alone not knowing what it was at the time! And then, one day I touched it! My entire hand went numb! It lasted several days! Boy, did that sucker get dug up and fast!

Newport, OR(Zone 5a)

I had what I thought was garlic coming up in my rose bed. Natural mistake, as I had been burying my garbage to improve the soil, until the coyotes discovered it and dug up the garden . A new spot every night. Well, I babied these little garlic shoots until One day I went out to admire my roses. couldn't believe my eyes. I had been nurse maiding cat tails. What a mess! As fast as I dig them out they grow back. I think they breed in their down time.

This message was edited Saturday, Apr 6th 8:55 AM

This message was edited Saturday, Apr 6th 8:55 AM

Blum, TX(Zone 8a)

HOW IRONIC! ALL OF YOU PULLING UP WHAT I WOULD GIVE MY EYE TEETH FOR.(OOPS ALREADY DONE THAT!)MOST OF WHAT I HAVE IS WHAT NONE OF YOU WANT..I AM SO DESPERATE FOR GROWTH, THAT I AM HAPPY WITH WEEDS, (THEY ARE MY WILD-FLOWERS) HE-HE-HE.

Sykesville, MD(Zone 7b)

Tink, whatcha want? I REALLY need to make a trade list.... What are your likes? Colors? Maybe I can help a little ~ Irene =)

Ladysmith, BC(Zone 8a)

Horsemint.

Received the seeds in a trade, 2 seeds germinated and planted the 2 plants, they grew and grew and grew till they were 6 feet tall by about 5 feet around. I do not have room for these ugly plants, although the bees loved the teensy weeny flowers! They are now history in the compost heap.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Obedient plant ---way not obedient!!!!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Chyrsanthum!

The flowers are yellow (not a favorite color of mine), they're tall 24-36", and the flowers are only the size of a quarter! They are determined to stay, I pull them up and pull them up... they just come back. When I over turn the soil in spring I'm going to try again to remove them, if I get every tiny piece of root maybe they'll finally be gone!

In "spring" a.k.a. next time it's warm and I go out side I'm going to try to pull up some more of them. I wish they didn't have to be tossed in the trash... I may give them to my sis to put in the ditch behind her house, unless someone has another idea?

This message was edited Thursday, Feb 14th 11:00 PM

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i have to many chinese laterns-have to pull some this spring

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Bouncing Bet, Saponaria officinalis. I love it! Smells like some candy I ate as a kid, but can't recall. It just spreads too much.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

wow - this is an old thread
my ozard sundrops evening primrose, just spread too much

St. Peter's, PE(Zone 6a)

billyporter,
I had "Bouncing Bet" in my garden and it certainly lived up to its name. It spread fast underground and would pop up basically where ever it wanted. Crossing my fingers that I finally got rid of it.

Michelle

Boy, this is an old thread, but a "Goodie"!
Brings to mind a pet peeve of mine- evasive descriptions on seed packages! Of course, the fault was partly mine, for not doing further research! Ha.
One of the hardest things I ever got rid of-no, make that two... They were (in order), chinese lanturn , then tansy. Took me three years to get rid of the c.lantern, and about 8 to get rid of the Tansy. I still have a piece of Tansy, but have figured how to control it, so it compliments, rather than taking over! I do love the looks of it, just don't let it get too big, before I prune it.
There have been others over the years, like "ditch" lilies, that only came out by digging the whole bed up.
I've also found out, through trial and error, about some plants, like, say, monarda, that are voracious spreaders in wet soil, but are very well behaved in a drier setting. Sure makes the whole gardening experience interesting and challenging. I know, I, for one, will never figure it all out. But, I'll guarantee one thing, I'm gonna have fun in the process! :-)
DeannaV

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.