Ficus Triangularis Variegata

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Do stem cuttings work? What is best time of the year for this? I have 3 small ones outside for the summer and they are doing well now. People ask me for one.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Use a pencil-thick internodal cutting taken from just below a node with a SHARP cutting tool. If your tool isn't sharp, it reduces your chance for success markedly. You can take the cutting long, and then clean it up with a straight-edge razor blade, but sharp is important.

Insert the cutting into a VERY well drained medium. I use bonsai soil that has all fines screened out.

Thumbnail by tapla
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

You can use perlite screened through a regular size kitchen strainer and rinsed as a medium. Notice the wick in this one, also a Ficus cutting that has struck. It's in a large prescription bottle.

Thumbnail by tapla
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Make your own greenhouse. This one has very dwarf hemlock cuttings cooking in it now. After the cuttings strike, remove the cap & wait a few days, then uncover the cutting entirely. Limit the number of leaves on the cutting to 3 or 4, or cut leaves in half across the veins. Yogurt cups work very well, too. Full, but open shade is best. Rooting hormone unnecessary.

Questions?

Al

Thumbnail by tapla
Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Typical Dave's Garden - you either get no response or some vague answer with lack of details that really help. (Tounge in Cheek.)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.