Pulley System for hanging plants?

American Canyon, CA(Zone 9a)

(note, I am going to post this in a couple of forums, I hope that is okay!)

My childrens school just moved into a new campus and the classrooms have tall ceilings, with a wall of wonderful light filled windows!

I take cuttings alot and have many hanging houseplants I would like to share. Their is a strong wire running the length of the window wall that I could hang the plants form, but I would like them to hang high, and then have a simple pulley system for the teachers to pull them down to water.

Do I just pick up the wheel thingy at the hardware store? Does anyone have a picture or a description of something that has worked for you?

Thanks!
Tina

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, just pick up a pulley at your hardware store. I had one in our foyer at the last house and tied it off at the railing on the main floor. Then I could just let the rope play out to lower the pot to the foyer for grooming and watering.

The hardest thing was hanging the pulley and installing a hook in the ceiling but once that is done it works well - just make sure you have enough rope at the plant's lowest level so you don't have to run another rope. Tie a knot in the rope too just in case it slips out of your hand so you don't have to get the ladder out again.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

(Tounge in cheek): Boy, a simple pulley and some rope sounds way too easy. Try getting some old, wobbly ladders for the kids to climb on. Or, some kinda loud, exensive lits system. You can rent a Genie (brand name) lift for around $200 a day here.

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Something like this may be easier.Depending how high the plants are you may need a shepherds hook to help pull them down. https://www.geteasyreach.com/?tag=im|bn|go|gn&a_aid=011&a_bid=2c0f9e42

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.