Brugmansias in August......promise of things to come.

Merino, Australia

Cestrum, do you want a piece of GHA ?
I still have Pink Sweetie and Floppy Apricot of yours doing well. . I remember now that we mentioned your Golden Butter and you did say it would be way too small for a cutting. Mango Crush is a lovely orange isnt it ? A pity it fades.
The most orange of any I have would have to be Musketeer. It only flowered once 2 years ago so I am waiting to see how it does. It is very spindly and seems one prone to mites. I only have a couple that the mites bother . Musketeer and Clementine , plus sometimes Frosty Pink gets a few.
I just use the Eucalyptus oil and they go away.
This year I am starting to find the odd green grub on some. easy to see as they stick the leaves together. Once the warm gets here properly, there should not be much of a problem with any pests except the darn slugs.

Chrissy, my Elfin Pink has flowered for the last 2 years but does lose a lot of leaves in the heat . A tall, spindly grower too but still holds up well. I cut her back this year in hope of getting more branches lower down.
Your Birthday Baby is looking lovely.
I like the whites with character.

Dianne, that Tantra is lovely , thank you, I would love a piece .

I have a lot of buds on Waynes Giant but no so far on PP. I see a tiny Y coming on Clementine too.
BB is sulking because I cut back all those long branches. I did leave about 2'on each branch and a few buds too. It can now go mad as it is in the ground so no more tiny pot. He has a very strong trunk just like GHA.
Now if we could get them all to have the trunks like the aureas seem to have , it would very nice.
If you look in the second pic of mine above , the one with the thick trunk in the front is a seedling ( Mountain Treasure x Axel Rose ), and by far the biggest of all.
The one behind is the double white from Portland Gardens. Already way taller and healthier than the forlorn parent.

I have 5 buds on Bucks Fizz and I see a tiny wee bud on the Candida x seedling from France. .
Exciting times as my babies turn into grownups.
Jean.

West of Brisbane, Australia

I have GHA-cross seedlings so, because I'm always after something*new* rather than cloned, I generally don't want the original cultivars, many thanks Jean. Pink Sweetie is very similar to Elfin Pink. I like them both--good strong plants--but I think PS might have more frequent flushes. See what you think when it grows and flowers. (All the aureas in my garden get mites, alas; just as all the fruit attracts fruitfly.)

But you are truly going to have a forest of flowers this season, Jean: well worth the wait I reckon :-)

All those cold-clime seedlings are exciting to watch too ...

PS Chrissy: my Musketeer cutting is also a slow grower and, as you say, nothing as vigorous as Elfin Pink. Hopefully it will flower this season, along with FFA. And of course FFA is the most vigorous of all, although my 'beast' seedling might be challenging that status :-) (I have clones--which I like--given to me in previous years but from now on it's the seeds that interest me.)

This message was edited Aug 26, 2011 9:25 AM

Clifton Springs, Australia

Jean, my antenna went up when you mentioned a Candida x from France...I have never seen seeds from France advertised....
Tell us how you came by it and do you have many seedlings from the cross?

I won't post your Tantra until Monday..don't want the roots to dry out.

That seedling MT x AR is a strong looking one...
I am going to try and find the tag for my Charleston seedling that has Y'd...I will need to take it out of the pot....very carefully....

cestrum, do you have a particular cross that you are waiting on at the moment?
One that may? produce an orange....hopefully.
I bought some Georgia Peach seeds this year...that is a pretty one in those colours that I like.

Funny you should mention Georgia Peach, Dianne, because I was just looking at photos of it over at BGI: http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/gallery/category/394-georgia-peach/ It's a shame its parentage is unknown but there's a hint of suaveolens about those blooms I reckon. Will be interesting to see what the seedlings look like--but even more interesting to see what the second-generation turns out like. I'm excited for you :-)

What a range we're all growing!

The 'beast' is the brug seedling that seems most likely to flower next; I think it's just waiting for the nights to warm up. It's got 4 or so trunks with a Y and a bunch of subequal leaves at the tip of each. And those trunks are leaning out all over the place, including over the footpath which is most inconvenient. I swear it would have flowered in autumn if I lived in a frost-free area. So it's bursting to start flowering :-)

... It had better not be a white LOL

For orange brugs, I've really only got the local aureas (mainly my Golden Butter) and Old Apricot for this season's 'virgin' flowers but I'm hoping that the overseas crosses might have some orange genes lurking among them. Will have to wait another couple of years to find out though. Interestingly, I remember Alistair saying that's its the suaveolens and versicolors that create oranges (although the versicolors create apricot-shaded oranges rather than a pure orange, from memory); he didn't mention the aureas. Perhaps aureas tend to create seasonal oranges only (ie those that turn yellow in warm weather)? I don't know--just guessing here so please don't repeat this as fact!

This message was edited Aug 26, 2011 10:33 AM

This is the photo of Georgia Peach that seems to show that touch of suaveolens ... but perhaps it's only in my imagination: http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/gallery/image/5686-georgia-peach/

Merino, Australia

Dianne, I bought the candida seeds from France ( on eBay) back in 2008. I think I sent some to Chrissy. Dont know if hers did anything, but only one of mine grew. It is about 4' high now and did have a bud last year which fell off. I am hoping this time it will do something.
Be interesting to see what the flower is like.
Jean.

Good luck with that seedling Jean, it will be interesting to follow...
Cestrum, my plan is, providing these seeds grow, to cross the best of them with Buck's Fizz...
When Buck's Fizz is at it's best, it is a really lovely colour..so I thought that it was worth a try.

Jean I forgot to mention that all of your #2 pod seeds were fertile....so it's a good cross as far as the fertility goes.

Here is another pic of my new favourite.....

Thumbnail by Seachanger
Merino, Australia

Nothing of mine up here yet. They must be sulking because I sent some away .
I am seeing small noses poking up from some of the Arghya seeds, so maybe a few warm days would help.
I cannot pamper them so whatever grows here is going to have to be hardy.
No heating or bunny rugs . They are in the mini greenhouse inside the larger greenhouse so get warm when ever the sun shines.
The sangs are coming on well but I have to watch the B*** slugs.
Lucas, your little sucker is going well. The other cuttings are slow, but should pick up soon.
Jean.

Just looking thru my Brug diary and I noticed that Chrissy's Birthday Angel has Ludger's Windsong in it and so does FFA and on the BGI thread Dawna has suggested that Windsong is the darkest yellow/gold in her collection....

So those two would be interesting to cross as well......
Chrissy have you crossed them yet?

Then we have Clementine with all her lovely yellow and orange genes.
So we already have a lot to work with....oh boy...

Jean I do have some mixed seed seedlings still growing out from you (the named French ones failed ..I think it was trying to germinate them in Winter hence waiting for Spring after that.) ...there were mixed ones too that did not fail and I just call them Jean's noids. I will let you know when they bloom ...a lot of the tops were trashed in the Golf Ball hail.

Giorgia Peach should be a beaut, I used to chat to it's breeder and he was a Brug Genius ...gone missing now, but he was truly dedicated to raising great Brugs, he loved his Giorgia Peach ...I must be a bit absent minded because I thought he told us that this one was found somewhere in the natural habitat. I may be wrong on that ...regardless he said it was his favourite. I would love a piece of anything from that Brug when someone grows a cross large enough to share.. Happy to swap something for it :). Eric was very keen on the wild form Brugs to work with.

I think there will be some great Bucks Fizz kids coming on down the line.
Lots of wonderful things to look forward to.

cestrum PP carries orange in her genes even though she is of unknown breeding and pink, I think she may be related to Bengal Tiger. I would pursue that one if you want orange quickly ...she will give you some whites too but look what Wayne got out of her. You may need to grow quite a few out but I am sure there is treasure in there ...match her up with a Brug with oranges in their background if you can.

Elfin Pink prefers to bloom in moderate temps, but is worth working with for those wanting nice pinks ...very strong lusty growth here ...downside hates heat (won't bloom in heat ) here in my area at least. She is another tall one but the above the Y cuttings work to down size her so as to take pollen. Some still want to hit the sky but she will bloom at a low height taken from the flowering wood. She has interesting Parents too.

Quite warm and sunny here today !

This message was edited Aug 26, 2011 4:52 PM

No I haven't because I can't reach FFA LOL ...she is tall tall tall ...very frustrating !!!! just like NOL.
But I will try another above the Y lot of cuttings when I chop the Mother tree down (OUCH) ...so far every cutting I have grown from FFA has reached for the sky ...Gee I want to see her up close again. The first flush when it opened hung down in my face, then it took off for the sky. I probably gave away many above the Y cuttings and had mostly Log cuttings here so they are all tall like their mother plant.
I have some Ludgers crosses that need a bit more growth on them before I can share but will be happy to do so cestrum, if they can help get you that orange.
The funny thing is orange and pink is supposed to produce white mostly but mine have almost totally been coloured. We know a bit more now though don't we ? ^_^

Yes, Bucks Fizz is a very pretty brug and I have some seeds from it as well, so will be interesting all around. Such a happy plant in my garden.
No more named cultivars for me; it's seeds from now on :-)
Here's the 'beast' (sorry Chrissy, you must hate that nickname!). It has its 2nd birthday in October. Should have its first flush of flowers by then. Parents: Angels Flight x Superspot, so it *should* be a good one. But you never can tell with brugs; they're full of surprises.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Oh heck that is a killer Brug ...fingers crossed for a lovely Brug ...can't wait to see it bloom ! ^_^

It certainly is a whopper, cestrum.....
I have it's half sibling and it's in a pot....and it's nothing like the size...
Angel's Flight x Charleston...

I keep checking FFA for buds now that it has Y'd, I am really looking forward to it.
It is the closest thing to Lemon Meringue that I will probably ever have...
So thank you Chrissy...

I can't wait to see it bloom either! I've been waiting since the start of autumn ...
The Joli x Angels Flight produced Big Floppy Apricot, so I'm hoping the 'beast' will be something different.
We'll have to compare the half-siblings, Dianne--will be fascinating to see the differences. That's what I love about brug seedlings!
Your Ludgers crosses sound intriguing, Chrissy. No cuttings for me but I do hope you get some lovely blooms from them.

I hope this works ..it is a video of a nice orange Brug from one of our BGI gardeners Christian.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5PBlNHLaq0&feature=player_embedded
Fingers crossed ^_^

What a massive number of blooms on a potted plant--I must make it a project one year to nurture one brug to see if I can get it to flower in a tub like that. But, is it just my monitor or is that brug more apricot than orange? In fact, seems like a cross between Old Apricot and my Big Floppy Apricot :-) I reckon you might be able to get a versicolor-type orange from it.

Anyway, a superb plant!

Merino, Australia

Thats certainly a beautiful specimen. Looks like it has been cut back to make multiple stems. I am going to try that with some of mine. A very nice size and easy to see all the blooms, instead of craning ones neck up. .
I have a small suavoleons that grows like . It put out multiple stems from the original cutting so I left it.
It only gets to about a metre high now and has more flowers when it does bloom.
I may put it in a pot on the veranda.
Jean.

It's not the orange that Buck's Fizz gets, but it's beautiful and does encourage me to feed weekly...
He's done a good job with it.....thanks Chrissy...
I think that I will give everyone in pots some Phostrogen today....I have to give the ones in the ground some of the molasses/epsom salts and beer tonic... they hadn't had any of that this season.

I couldn't find the tag on the OS seedling, it is almost bursting out of it's pot, so the tag has been devoured...
I am going to do a root prune this year on the potted ones that need it...I really have run out of room in the garden....so they must stay in pots.....
It mustn't be too difficult because they all seem to keep them in pots OS.

Those Vulsa seedlings are bolting along....so much so that I'm expecting flowers next week....lol
Colleen, remember I said that RFP had a mottling on all the leaves...well that has disappeared over the last month...Jean must be right and it's only a seasonal thing....I hope it doesn't come back..
Pink Panther is scenting the garden this morning even though it's cold out there...lots of flowers out now...
It's a great time in the garden..
Alistair if you are reading any of this, how are your Sphaeros now...did the last one hold it's flower?
I would love to post more pics of my sanguinea, but I mustn't get carried away..lol

Merino, Australia

Get carried away, Dianne, we love to see the pics. It mat encourage mine to grow quickly. I want sang flowers too.
Yes, that mottling never came back on any of my plants. I only ever had it on the one though.
Jean.

barmera, Australia

Dianne, Alistair said that was a virus, the mottling of the leaves, but it doesn't affect the plant and it still flowers and as you've been told it is seasonal. I never have it on RFP here but I do on some of the others. I'm having some problems with mites but I might try the Eucalyptus oil on them and see whether that curbs them. The little snails are creating havoc here. I think I'll sprinkle sawdust everywhere and see if that deters them. It's a pain when you are trying to get seedlings up. Mango Kornet is a lovely dark gold Cestrum. Maybe a cross with Bucks Fizz might produce that elusive orange for you. I have to get the MK seeds planted too. Colleen

Is there a true orange ...I don't think there is an official orange.
A deeper shade of Apricot or even peach that tricks the eye.
In the video did you notice the colours in the inner more shaded parts of that lovely plant seemed more orange than the outer ones?
Brugs may be described as orange but are they?
What do you think ?

Just in case you missed the video ( I left in the tea room ) from the same gardener here it is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=tp5LidDCfxk
How many of us grow or have grown most of the lovely plants in this wonderful garden ...it's a small world after all :)

Merino, Australia

a few more sang babies.
You can see they must taste nice , b*** sluggies.
Jean

This message was edited Aug 27, 2011 2:54 PM

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

look what I found when I went out to check on things in the greenhouse. . My imported babies have decided to grow.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

Now here is an odd fellow. This came up from the seeds from Chrissy. It is knightii x old apricot from Cestrum.
Now what do you do up there Ces trum ?
Are you feeding your brugs on something rare and wonderful ?
The funny little thing has 2 cots and looks like it fell in the paint.
I am hoping this is not just a lack of something. I would like to see it grow and keep the markings.
Sorry not a good pic but it was cold out there.I'll get a better one when the sun comes out again.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Victoria, Australia

Well done with the sangs, the snails and slugs love them eh!

Hopefully that seedling is variegated, though it looks very similar to the virus Knightii often gets in winter.

Merino, Australia

It most likely is a virus Lucas, because the larger leaf just under the colored ones is plain green. We'll wait and see.
Wouldnt it be something to have new variegated brug. ?
Jean.

Victoria, Australia

Yeah especially seeing as the leaves appear to be curling downwards, just like the Knightii virus from what I've seen on mine.
Interesting that it actually is a seedling of Knightii, so can Brug viruses be transmitted from seed from infected plants? Quite intriguing biologically lol.
You should sell it on Ebay Super rare new variegated brug for several hundred dollars haha.

I think I recall seeing a while back, didn't Cestrum grow a variegated seedling?

Merino, Australia

Yes , Lucas, the leaves definitely curl downwards. The green leaf looks normal , no curling .
Cestrum Did you grow a variegated brug or have you had any virus on knightii or old apricot ?
I will watch this fellow carefully to see what happens.
Jean.

That's something I hadn't heard of Lucas, a virus on Knightii......
Don't suppose you have any pics of it?
Jean, is there a thickening of those leaves...or is it just the pic?
cestrum did grow a variegated one...I remember that she was very pleased...our first variegated..

The snails are terrible Colleen.....hundreds of baby snails...but I still can't step on them...
I should, it's far more humane than the bait...though that doesn't seem to be affecting them...
Here it is again Jean, you shouldn't have encouraged me....

cestrum, I am watching you post those pics and I can't get one on....
7 tries later and it went thru...

This message was edited Aug 27, 2011 5:33 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

I have never seen a seed grow out with a virus ...that would be a first for me.
Could it be some sucking insect damage ?
Good luck with that Jean I hope it isn't a virus.

Well, Dianne, you just have to keep taking photos of your sanguinea until you get the *perfect* one. Which means photographing it at all its stages, at all angles and at different light levels thru the day and different weather conditions :-)

I thought that seed-grown brugs were free of viruses; it's one of the advantages of growing them that way. Could it have picked up a virus from the soil? (My variegated seedling died--of wilt--when it was still tiny, and that clearly is a soil-borne disease.) That seed would have come from the Melbourne knightii unless specifically labelled 'Ipswich knightii', and I don't remember it ever being virus affected. But even so, as said before, I didn't think that viruses could be transmitted by seed.

I've finally found that photo of my variegated brug seedling. (Using a third-party search application--I cannot tell you how badly the Search function has been screwed up in Windows 7: you can find the file manually, actually be staring at it in the Pictures folder, and yet the Search function will tell you that no such file exists!)

Anyway, here it is. I knew it was a Big Floppy Apricot cross, but from what I can see of the label, the parent was Ipswich knightii. (Something about the knightiis?) It's also bigger than I remember it--I thought it was a tiny seedling. Which makes me suspect that I've had another--much smaller--variegated seedling that died ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Well I bit the bullet today and threw out one of my 18mnth old babies.....it was a white, rather floppy with very little perfume....about 6ft tall so I felt mean...no probs digging it out..I put the spade right next to the stem and went right thru the roots...surprisingly easy.....I suppose it might grow from the roots now..

There was a little noid growing in one of the pots with a large seedling...it had come up months after the big one...so I took it out and gave it it's own pot...

I took a cutting of my friends Maya a couple of months back, but it kept on dying back until it was only 3 ins high.....now it has grown a new shoot and it's about 5 ins high.....and there are roots...yippee.
My first Knightii flower for the season is only a couple of days away...Clementine won't be far behind..
Pink Panther today.
I wonder when we will get a variegated one to grow to maturity from seed..

Thumbnail by Seachanger
Victoria, Australia

Jean the Iochroma australe alba has green buds swelling :)
and the other Iochroma cuttings are looking very good.

Merino, Australia

Thats great to hear Lucas. I am glad it has decided to grow for you.
Hope the cuttings all do well too.
Jean

These brug seeds were too small to peel and the seedling has ended up growing right thru the seed casing. I've sprayed the casing and prised the casing off but the stem might have been weakened. If its stem breaks in the next week or two, I'll know why!

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Merino, Australia

Now that the weather is starting to warm ever so slightly, I see new babies poking their heads up.
Lucas, I now have about 10 sangs sprouted.
I also have the first one of my own cross.
Oh joy !!! I'm a grandmother. The little fellow is standing up nice and straight. I hope more soon join him.

Jean.

Merino, Australia

Took a better pic of the little confused seedling . ( knightii x old apricot)
It must be from the Melb, knightii ,Cestrum as there was no Ipswich on the envelope.
There is no lumpiness just the coloring and the leaves curl over.
jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

Waynes 'Giant' 8 buds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.