Brugmansias in August......promise of things to come.

OMG did you see this one

http://ibrugs.com/Community/iBrugsCommunityPods/PodsView/tabid/222/asg/3/aft/759/showtab/groupforums/Default.aspx
I hope this link works !

Now that one is something to aim for ...beautiful !!!!!
Edited to say I love the thin tube on that one and the colour is stunning.

This message was edited Aug 23, 2011 11:32 AM

Merino, Australia

He does have some beauties.
I have a few of his seeds so can only hope.
Jean.

West of Brisbane, Australia

Quote from chrissy100 :
The Chief x New Orleans Lady sounds exciting cestrum.

Alas, I don't have any direct crosses of these two, just seeds with either one of them as a parent.
Looking at that photo of Raspberry Crush makes me wonder: if you wanted to reproduce something like that from seed, would you be better getting the seed of RC itself or the seed of a cross between its parents?

Meanwhile, that ripe knightii seedpod has turned out to contain mostly unripe seeds. I've counted 8 that seem to have kernels inside them and will be sowing them after a short soak in hydrogen peroxide.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
barmera, Australia

Whoo hoo Chrissy. that is a beauty isn't it? I pick my Mango Kornet OP pod yesterday and there are about 30 seeds in there. I split one open to see if everything was alright and BINGO. Does anyone want a few of these crosses. If no-one wants any I will plant them all and see what I get. Glutton for punishment aren't I? I have to do something to keep me sane so why not fill my yard with Cati and Succulents, Broms and Brugs and a few lilies etc. Colleen

Victoria, Australia

Here is a Knightii at Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne.

Thumbnail by lucas13

I went to peel those 8 ripe seeds to find that the corks were empty--no kernels at all.
So I won't be getting any knightii x Bucks Fizz seedlings after all. Ah well, it happens ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Clifton Springs, Australia

I wonder if single blooms are a seasonal thing with Knightii.
The Knightii that I have, bloomed with double flowers all summer,
then the last blooms in Autumn were single...
Has anyone noticed any pattern?
probably not, it's just a thought.

Thanks for the pod pics cestrum...I don't think that my OA pod is far away....
Sorry about your Knightii x Buck's Fizz...disappointing..

I keep getting an under construction notice on iBrugs..I'll have to wait..until my server sorts it out..
I haven't been there for ages...I forget about it.
It's their server not mine...I had a look at their facebook page and they have some lovely seedlings..
A Creamsickle one for you Chrissy...

This message was edited Aug 23, 2011 8:12 PM

The single blooms may be induced by cold weather, Dianne, although I can't immediately recall such a pattern here despite the very cold nights. Perhaps the relatively warm days makes a difference?

I'm wondering if the empty kernels in the knightii x Bucks Fizz seedpod was due to poor-quality pollen? I might have waited until the pollen was past its peak before pollinating the knightii. Here's a second BF pod on another brug that I have just picked. Looks promising ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

But look inside:

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Sometimes white seeds can germinate, but not these: there are no kernels inside. (I broke open all the darker ones and many of the white ones and all were empty inside.)

The BF pollen would have come from the same flush of flowers that supplied the pollen for knightii, around the same time, so it's unclear whether it's due to the quality of the pollen or something else, such as the unusual spate of cold and frosty nights we've had this winter--the greatest number of frosty nights since I moved here. I guess we'll know when the other pods start to mature, but I might not have the oversupply of seeds I anticipated!

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Awe what a shame ! if the stem of the pod was frosted it would be like severing an umbilical cord to a growing bub, thus causing the pod to rot. Such a disappointment when you have anticipated and dreamed of what the results can be.
The seeds can die off inside without the nutrient, but yes probably something wrong with the pollen or the sticky patch that the pollen pollen needs to cling to. So sorry cestrum. Never mind tomorrow is another day.
It only takes one or two grains of pollen to trigger a pod, I know it's hard to believe looking at a wonderful big pod, but that is what can happen.

Cairns, Australia

I am so sorry, but I am learning, and this all helps me, but sadly not for you all , I feel the hopes and dreams for your seed, we can only learn and try again. I have only 2 pods so far, my first, but i am feeding them doing all I can I think and hope.

barmera, Australia

Here comes the Arborea flower. Can't smell anything as yet Chrissy. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris
barmera, Australia

Look at this little darling. The snails love him too. Darn things. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Awe what darling little Arborea ...gosh Colleen give the poor thing a chance ...are you sniffing it in the day ?
you go sniff it as soon as the sun is sinking :) It will remind you of a dear little (it's tiny compared to other Brugs) white star fish, I love them and once they start they just spot blom for months. If you leave one or two to self seed, at this time of the year once the Frost is finished they set fruit very well all by them selves.

Good on you, Colleen.
Your Arborea looks lovely, you must describe it's perfume after tonight's sniff....it looks a very pure white, love the long corolla teeth too.
How long would it be, including the calyx?

Hi Gena, good to see you following all the Brugmansia talk.....
Don't forget to post your pics, not only Brugs...you have a pretty garden..

Here is my Pink Panther this morning....not a lot of colour yet, a couple more days will do the job.

Thumbnail by Seachanger
barmera, Australia

Looking good Dianne. I haven't got PP. Is it a double pink? Colleen

barmera, Australia

Here he is in all his glory. About 8" long Dianne and smells absolutely wonderful. Sort of a caramel with something else. Whoo hoo Now I hope the sanguinea pollen turns up tomorrow if Lucas saw my reply. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris
Merino, Australia

I wish my arborea would Y soon so I can get a flower like that. Maybe I'll show it the pic so it knows what to do. Lovely Colleen.
Dianne, my PP has made its Y at last so I look forward to seeing flowers like yours.
Here are some of my brugs after their move around and planting . Some still have very large leaves so are drooping in the sun.
Most look a little bald because I removed a lot of the lower leaves to allow light etc to get to the smaller potted ones ones underneath.
They soon pick up again as it cools in the evening.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

more.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

A bit hard to get a pic of the whole area but this is a sheltered circle in the middle of the orchard.
Not all fruit trees around, some are natives , but they make a nice area for the brugs.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

These are out under the cypress. Mostly seedlings but a few cutting grown among them.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

That arborea flower is wonderful, Colleen: well done!
Jean, your brugs are looking good. I reckon only another week here before the danger of frost passes and, even though the nights will still be cold, they won't fall to freezing levels and so the planting out can begin. I can feel spring in the air, esp. today when it's warm and nicely (not overly) humid.
Here are your Painted Lady x Mustafa seeds from Arghya Gardens; two out of the three have germinated. Although sown at the same time as your GHA seeds, these are a lot smaller and slower growing. The GHA seedlings have in fact been potted up in separate foam cups and moved to the outdoor greenhouse.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Yes there is a whiff of Spring around here too but I tread carefully still because we have had a frost or two in September here,
can't help but get a bit excited though.

Wow Jean they look great !
The sun is out again today ...whoo hoo, maybe they are wrong about the rain. It was sunny all day yesterday.
Seed soaking starts today (of some things).
off outside now ...
Enjoy the Sun everyone !!!!

barmera, Australia

Looking great Jean. "A Forest of Brugs" now that's something worth seeing. I have 2 of the 4 Sang seeds up, 3 SuperspotX and 4 KnightiiX. The little Datura flower is finished this morning short but sweet, but there is another bud coming. It will be great if the BL''''' snails don't get it. Cestrum I notice that you're growing lots of different ones to everyone else. Are you after a particular thing? I have 10 brugs planted out the front now. It will be wonderful when they all flower at the same time. I can just imagine the perfume. mmmmmmm. Colleen

Colleen, I'm really keen to get my own double orange, a la The Chief or New Orleans Lady: double/triple orange blooms with a citrus scent. Alistair has already produced a local beauty--Clementine--but I want one of my own! So just as Chrissy is after the perfect white, I'm after my own perfect orange :-)
Jean, please remind me again of what cuttings you need ...

Oh, and a true (scented) single orange, not a seasonal orange that is yellow in warm weather ...

This message was edited Aug 25, 2011 1:07 PM

Merino, Australia

Cestrum, those babies are looking good. I'm glad to hear that it looks like GHA's strong growing genes seem to be in the babies.
I canr remember what cuttings I asked you for now. I think I should write everything down as soon as I think of it.
I'll go back a bit in the threads and see if I can find what I asked for.
I definitely want a piece of Maya . I am just really grateful for any cuttings that are sent. . I like the smaller ones with neat flowers. . Anything that has any aurea in it too.
I like the idea that we are all going after different brugs. Chrissy and her whites and you with the oranges.
I want to concentrate more on the cold brugs but am still aiming at getting something great in the warmies too.
I want something in bright pink or orange that looks like and grows like GHA. Sort of a tidy smaller neat flower and strong upright growth.
Between all of us we should eventually have a great range of Aussie bred brugs.
Jean.

Victoria, Australia

Fantastic flower Colleen.
Nice garden Jean.

I was thinking, wonder if GHA x OA could yield a nice vigorous hardy mango brug...

Jean, I don't have Maya and my Golden Butter is too spindly to yield any cuttings. But I do have the double pink and that Pink Sweetie (single pink), just wasn't sure which one of them didn't strike for you.

Lucas, I don't have Glasshouse Angel but my Golden Butter (a similar aurea) x unknown was probably cross-pollinated with Old Apricot, and it gave an orange flower (as shown), although it will probably turn yellow like GB when it reflowers in summer. But I agree: crossing the aureas with OA should yield some good brugs including (surely!) some oranges or something like one of my favourites, Mango Crush.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Jean, I have a Tantra cutting with roots on it...It is a Knightii x Aurea ...lovely dainty white flower...
If you don't have it then you are welcome to mine.
You will love PP, it never seems to be out of flower...

No Colleen, Pink Panther is a single...
When my Fernando puts on some more growth, you can have a cutting from that...it's a double.

Quote from lucas13 :

I was thinking, wonder if GHA x OA could yield a nice vigorous hardy mango brug...

I bet it could Lucas, but will it?...lol

This message was edited Aug 25, 2011 6:08 PM

I agree Aurea x Old Apricot would be the best bet ...it may take growing out a lot but I am sure that you would get a nice orange. From what I have read orange may be a little less robust than the others but perhaps here in Australia where they don't freeze in Winter it would not be so much of a problem. Musketeer hasn't been a strong grower ...it isn't bad but when you compare it to say Elfin Pink it seems not nearly as vigorous. You can't tell from one of course, it may be much more vigorous elsewhere but no one I gave cuttings to have said how they went, so I don't know about other places yet.
I am looking for perfect curly tendrils on a thin tubed pristine white double, if the one I have (nicknamed birthday baby) was a double that would be it.
Meanwhile there are lots of pretty blooms yet to meet and enjoy ...it's going to be wonderful !

Here is Tantra, Jean.....just to remind you.......
It is such a dainty thing.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Yes I agree Dianne I have to say that PP is a wonderful Brugmansia, almost constant flushes and is the parent of some beautiful babies (Waynes) ...yes it's a bit droopy in habit but cross it with an upright growing Brug and I am sure they will be terrific. It sets heaps of pollen and is a very fertile Brug that sets pods very easily (probably a bit too easily ) ^_^ ...

Without a doubt everyone should have a PP in their garden. Even if it is just to enjoy the constant flushes.
ooops edited to say here is Birthday Baby ...my very first hybrid bloom.

This message was edited Aug 25, 2011 6:12 PM

Thumbnail by
Cairns, Australia

Here is one for 2, my first bods, fingers crossed.

Thumbnail by Gena1234

Fingers crossed for you Gina, I know how exciting that is ...I used to run out to look at mine every two hours, still do if it is something exciting :) Hope they are good for you.

Cairns, Australia

Here is a jade vine flower, my friend grow, just so you can see. it is so long, the cage hang on the left side is about 2 feet.

Thumbnail by Gena1234

WOW and WOW again !!!!! love that ...it's beautiful, your friend is very good gardener.

Cairns, Australia

The bod is a cross between the apricot and pink

Gena, good luck with your buds.....whatever you do, don't get tempted to touch them....they can fall off very easily......

That photo of your friend's Jade vine is too special to put on the Brug thread only...
Please post it on the August flower thread..
This is the link.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1204409/
A lot of gardeners will see it there....

Chrissy, what is Birthday Baby's parentage?..it is very nice.

Cairns, Australia

Thank you

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.