Starting FALL GARDEN 2011 in Zone 8

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks, LiseP!
I think you probably did a whole lot of things right with the seedlings outdoors. It was just too hot! Even the beautiful tomato tips I cut off to root for the fall couldn't take it out there in the shade. I'm scrubbing my tomato patch until the next season (spring).

I'm gonna try for fall tomatoes next year, but will make some adjustments:
►If I take cuttings for rooting, I'll bring them inside and treat them like seedlings. But, first, they'll get a thorough washing (maybe TWO) with some soapy Lemon Ajax, and then go into quarantine in a totally different room than any seedlings I have started inside already. Don't want outside buggies attacking the inside seedlings, INSIDE!
►Once they're in, I'll treat them just like seedlings, especially with the H2O2, cause it'll help stave off any potential fungaluglies they might be bringing in.
►And, they'll definitely go in some sterilized potting mix!
►I'm thinking I might just go ahead and start some tomato seeds in June, for plant out in September.

In any case, they should fare better in, than out fighting the heat!

Linda

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

GG-I must have missed something. What happened to your suckers that you rooted?

Edited because this Apple iPad doesn't think I know how to spell, so I have to read everything I type. I wouldn't recommend this to anybody!

This message was edited Sep 8, 2011 7:56 PM

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, I was wondering the same...

Lots of germination tonight. Radishes, arugula and an assortment of lettuce. As exciting as the first new green growth in spring.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

podster, your RADISHES are germinating?
Shall I seed them outside already?

Here are my KALES hardening off on the back patio. I will plant them Sunday.

Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

CAULIFLOWERS below ... nice ...
I will plant them Sunady with also Brussel Sprouts, more Kales and Broccolis

Thumbnail by drthor

I seeded the radishes inground in the new onion bed. The cooler temps will be fine for them as long as I can keep them hydrated.

Pod-did you germinate your lettuce and arugula inside? It was 95* here today it felt so good. I guess that's cooler at least by Tx standards.

Nope ~ I planted everything outdoors. Only the radishes in ground, everything else in containers to be transplanted later but they are sitting in morning sun. Mid 90s here again but cool at night still.

Hey guys,
My rooted cuttings held on as long as they could outside in that heat. They were so stressed, the mealybugs moved in. Then they just started wilting and I finally pulled the plug...

Next time, I'll bring them inside. Anything would beat being outside in 100+ daily degrees for over 28 days.

Meanwhile, everything else is taking off inside, all of a sudden, and I'm having to turn the A/C down to keep them cool enough during the day. Pretty soon I might have to shove 'em in the fridge! Nights are great for them. But, they have to go out real soon, and the daytime temps better drop quickly!!!

Here's a pic of my cabbages. The velvety ones to the right are called "Soloist". They are absolutely gorgeous and grow like some sort of carpet. Almost an Emerald green color. Never grew these before, but they're a Baby Chinese cabbage, only 40-50 DTM. 1-1/2-2 lb sweet heads look like baby Romaine or Bok Choy hearts. Can't wait to try these!

Linda

This message was edited Sep 9, 2011 4:00 PM

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

Here're my Brussels Sprouts.

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Linda,

Thanks for the encouragement, Linda, and my sympathies on your tomato suckers. They were up against the Goliath of heat waves -- I read yesterday that Texas had the hottest June-to-August this year anywhere in the entire US for as long as records go back (includes 1930s dustbowl era). Leave it to Texas to go big, eh?

Let's just hope it's over now, because you've got some nice garden babies there. Your cabbages and Brussels sprouts look lovely. Keep us posted on that 'soloist' cabbage, I'd never heard of it.

Drthor, your stuff also looks gorgeous. I love your kale.

Podster, glad to know about your lettuce and radishes. I've just planted some.

On that note, I'm headed out to the garden. Seeds await!

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Ok, let's go back to ZONE 8.

My SWISS CHARD is all germinating, three/four days from seeding it directly outside.
The PARSLEY and ARUGULA ... no sign of germination yet ... ouch

The KALE, BOK CHOI and PAK CHOI I transplanted Sunday are all alive and start to grow.

This Sunday I will transpant BROCCOLI.

Quote from drthor :
Ok, let's go back to ZONE 8.

I don't think we ever left Zone 8. We just added Zone 9a to the discussion.

Not sure it matters much, seeing as we all here seem to be on the same growing schedule, yah think? ^^_^^

Zone7 was allowed to post? Guess I don't get the difference?

1Lisac,

I think that, as long as we're all doing the same thing, at the approximate same time, and getting the same relative results, we're OK to continue the conversation and glean information that is invaluable to us all!

So. On with the "FALL GARDEN 2011 in Zone 7-8-9a-or "wherever you are planting simultaneously with us right now" discussion! ^^_^^

Hugs!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

"Zone7 was allowed to post? Guess I don't get the difference? "

Uh-ohh, my bad, I think I'm the only zone 7. Guess I overstepped my bounds, eh?

Then again I see most of ya'll are Texas gardeners so maybe this should've been in the Regional Texas gardening forum so there is no confusion, eh?

All in all, ya'll have some great gardens going in here, lots of enthusiasm and sharing. Great thread!

Shoe

Ubie,
LOL, You are welcome on any thread in Dave's Garden! We can't afford not to hear from you!!!

At least my garden can't afford to!

Hugs!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Ya'll are the best! Thanks, Linda for the kind words.

Happy Gardening to All!
Shoe

Every thing I planted last weekend has germinated except.... ((((drumroll))))

get this Lisa

CHARD!!!
Two different types.

Patience my behind!
I want to eat something. LOL

LOL!!!! LOL!!! LOL!!!!

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I went outside this afternoon and some ARUGULA has germinated

Pod-did you soak the seeds? I soaked mine in water and H2O2 for a nite or two. Then I direct seeded them in 3" pots and put them outside. I'm glad Im not the only one that had problems lol

Linda-I have found it really helps if you grow them out in the same temp they are going to be planted out into. That way they are used to it from the get go. The ones i'm growing even survived 113* heat a couple weekends ago. They are in the shade. It has gotten cooler, yes 100* is cooler by Tx standards. Lol. I think drthor said her laundry room was near 90* so the transplants are used to the heat.

I tweaked the method given by Calalily in the link you have posted at the top of a series of threads. She put the seeds in sand in the refridge and directed seeded them in the heat,and has had greens all summer long. I didn't direct sow them in the ground but into pots outside. She did mention this method didn't work for Chard.

IMHO-anybody should be able to contribute to this thread, with all these microclimates the USDA zones are not engraved in stone. Im actually very close to 7b, we maybe on a little different timelines but the basic concept is the same.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I love how you have recycled the water bottles for your plant containers, I hope you don't mind, but I would like to steal that idea.....

Jan

Pod,
Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep the temp tip in mind. It does make good sense, and should prove less stressful on the seedlings, going out to a comparable temp as they had inside.

Jan,
Araness had been telling me for two seasons about how much better her seedlings grew in those water bottles. But, I was sold on my Red Solo cups, until I ran out and had to use some translucent cups side by side.

It was then I saw how the same plants were growing so markedly differently in the two different cups. The translucent plants had more extensive and deeper root systems, compared to those in the Red Solo cups. I attributed this to the light penetrating the translucent cup on more sides. The light only shined straight down on the Red cups.

I have access to hundreds of the clear bottles at my job, free for the asking, and I'm loving the recycling opportunity. I've got them so tuned in, the bottle deliveries are making me smile every day!

So, you jump right on in. No stealing ideas in the garden. Just "pass it forward!"

Linda

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

1lisac I seeded my Swiss Chard directly outside. It was not seeded inside in my 90 F laundry room.
Germinated after 4 days in my ZONE 8.

Today I have transplanted out BROCCOLI and start a few more Waltham Broccoli seeds indoor.
Last year my Broccoli plants indoor grew much faster and thicker. I am sure because it was cooler indoor too.

drthor-I wasnt refering to Swiss Chard. I meant your transplants in general, regarding my post to GymGirl. Sorry for any confussion.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I forgot to tell y'all that when I transplanted my seedlings outide, inside the planting hole I am sprinkling some WORM CASTINGS and AZOMITE.

I made an observation in a community garden today. Brussels Sprouts plants, 30" tall, with sprouts setting! It was 99 degrees out, and they were in full sun, in a moderately watered bed. I was told they were planted in February, from seeds. They didn't seem to suffering any undue heat stress on those Huge leaves that were shading the sprouts on the stem.

They will mature as the weather cools into fall, and the sprouts will experience at least one freeze, which should sweeten them up.

I'm making a note of the date!

Sharing, 101!

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

Drthor,
The closest I can get to Azomite at this point would be to crush up some multi-Vitamins!

Gymgirl-Ill scrape some of the mineral deposits out of my facets and you can use that instead. LOL

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

SWISS CHARD germinating

Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

ARUGULA germinating

Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

BOK CHOI, PAK CHOI and KALES I transplanted a week ago growing really good

Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

KALE PREMIER look really nice. This is teh first year I am growing.
So far the fastest growing and the larger leaves.

Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Some of the 44 plants of BROCCOLI I trasplanted yesterday.
Yesterday I also started some more BROCCOLI from seed indoor ... just in case I will have extra room when I remove eggplants, cukes, peppers and okras plant.

Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

This afternoon after 3pm I can seed FRUIT crop.
I am going to start FAVA BEANS indoors.
I really missed them this year.
Normally I have no problem growing them trough our winter in zone 8 and I have fantastic yummy FAVA BEANS in April/May. But the Superbowl freeze killed all of them lst February.
This year i am startung earlier so I can have stronger plant .. if we will get so record cold again.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Tomorrow I will transplant LEAF crop after 8am.
I had my transplant out on the back porch for a week and they are ready to go in the ground: CHINESE KALE, CAULIFLOWERS, BRUSSEL SPROUTS, LACINATO KALE and more KALE VATES.

Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

By the way, my BEST swiss chard seeds came from http://www.gourmetseed.com/category/gourmet_seed.vegetable_seed.swiss_chard/
I love this company. The seeds might seem more expensive, BUT they will send you a huge package with a large picture.
Also their packages are in some kind of stiff alluminum paper and the seeds will store for longer time (ex. my broccoli seeds for 4 years and still going)
The swiss chard that I tried is the :
http://www.gourmetseed.com/product/SC24/Swiss-Chard-Riccia-da-Taglio.html
It kept going summer and fall.
Also I love the larger ribs.

Now ... I must order some more of the other Italian varieties .... yes I am a SEEDHOLIC

This thread is gonna fill up with pictures fast...

Looks like we're gonna be seeing a LOT of pictures here...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.