Books, Mags, Catalogs
(30 votes, 26%)
Red dot

Other websites
(9 votes, 7%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I use a DG search. That way, I can access the entry in the database, as well as see who has it in their journals - or their tradelist ;0)

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I know our DG plants database is growing, but often I cannot find what I'm looking for there.... I usually go to the Google "Images" link that poppysue posted, and then to a search engine for information and availability.

If I find it, and still want it, I usually follow up with a DG search to see if someone has some to trade.

Well, I voted for books etc, have several plant 'bibles' and use them all when I come across something new or if I need to know further information.

My most used are RHS A-Z, a huge tome, a photographic field guide to wildflowers of Britain and Europe, which has proved invaluable, Chiltern Seeds and Mr Fothergills catalogues and some smaller books. I love to hear stories about folklore of plants as well as info from other people too.

I rarely read gardening magazines, they are full of Charlie Dimmock and rehashed information about plants that won't grow in my garden.

I use search engines when I need more info than I have to hand but very often I find its too much trawling for so little. I've also found several times that the plant pictured and described on the sites are not the same plant as the botanical name. Once something is on a web site it can be linked in with so many others that its impossible to know that what you are looking at is the right thing. I bear in mind that some info will be wrong and I use both books and internet to cross reference each other.

Grand Prairie, TX

I dont know the names of many plants, so i use a general search engine and looks up words like 'plants' 'garden' 'flowers' and find articles, pictures, sites and pages on different kinds...then look for it on DG. that way i can learn to match them up, get more info on them, post any new ones i find on DG and so on.

I use the DG search first, then the DG Plant Database, and then I go to my A-Z garden plant book. I look at my plant book quite a bit when I'm not on DG, so don't look at the book much, but enjoy looking at all the different plants and making a dream wish list.

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

I voted for the DG database.I go there first because I feel like most times the person that entered it there knows the plant.I know thats not true in all cases some I entered included. But still its a more personal touch. If I can't find it there then I go to a search engine but I have to admit when I go looking it's because of something I have seen in a catalog or something somebody has posted here at DG.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Hey, Darius the link that PoppySue gave us is no longer needed; Google has now incorporated an image search into their basic site,and it's very cool.

I confess I do use Google when I can't find it on DG, but that is becoming less and less necessary thanks to all the entries that are finding their way into our Plants Database.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I start with Dave's database. Then a general search here, then I go to other websites or a general web search.

Midland, PA

Before I found DG, I tried using the search engines, but if you don't know what they are you can search for days. I went out and spent a small fortune on gardening books and still tend to look it up there first and then to DG to see what real folks have to say about them.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

I check the Plant Database, and I have the AHS A-Z, Hortus Third and some lighter weight books. I also save old catalogues that have a lot of good info and I have other web databases in my favorites list. I've also been know to hit on one of my plant loving friends by e-mail. I guess this is another one of those all of the aboves for me - research is a family passion with us. If we don't have a book or website or someone to call, we'll do all we can to find one!!

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

I have a standby book that I always start out with and now I am starting to look in DG database now that it is so good.

Circleville, OH(Zone 8b)

I use my books in my library here in my office, which contains over a hundred books and growing.

I used to do landscaping full time until I became sick and couldn't do it for a living. So I bought a lot of books then.

I use them at least once a day looking for something or other.

Mike

Longview, TX

I use several references. I start with google, then look at Dave's Plant Database, also I have tons of reference books here at home. I get good data from Dave's DB...but, it doesnt always list what I want to look at. So, to save time I go to google.

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

I first look in the DG plant Database..then to Google..
and then to my gardening books..(one I especially like is Lois Hole's Perennial Favorites. It has a picture of each plant..and she also recommends best varieties.. it is Canadian)..so I guess it's a little of each. Oh.. I also have a Garden Encyclopedia on CD that helps too.

Cape May Court House, NJ(Zone 7a)

Well there is no question I look them up here first!
I must say it is awesome, you guys have added such a huge amount of plants over the past few months that there has not been anything I can't find! I did not add very many (bad girl) but I promise to remedy that over the winter!
All my garden books are now on the shelf collecting dust!

ANOTHER DG SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SUE

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I say that you can't really pick just one. I use so many different places to look for pictures and info on plants.

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

If I cant find it in the DG database I do a Google search.

I too like Mike have a roomful of gardening books just to lazy to get them unless absolutely necessary:)

Paul

Valley Village, CA

I go straight to my books, the Garden Webs, trade lists, are not useful for me because I specialize. I am only there to respond to questions of others, give information on where to obtain what they are looking for, succulents or books, tips, facts. I don't sell plants nor have I traded, I just give away, most of the time at no cost to the person receiving, I even pay the postage. Crasulady2

dobie, ON(Zone 3a)

Not a fair question Dave. Probably all gardeners use all of the places listed when looking for information. I know I do.

Iola, WI

I agree trail! Until I found DG I posted to some other garden sites and tried looking around the web myself. But I must confess that DG searches are becoming more & more successful. If not in the plant database, they are at least discussed somewhere here. Just by reading the plant descriptions I've learned how to describe my unidentified plants better!

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

I go to other websites that I have in my favorites box. there are 100s in their subdivided into sections for plants, websites, nurseries, seds, bulbs ..........

Baa, whats wrong with Charlie Dimmock? - FYI a UK gardening program presenter - she can makeover my garden anytime.

Mark

LOL Mark

Well, you would say that being a man ;) I wrote the 'I Dislike Charlie Dimmock Because ....' essay on the following link.

http://davesgarden.com/showthread/99339.html

Met the woman and don't like her simple as that LOL

Woo hoo'''

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

Psssssstttttttt Dave I think this one is finished! lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.