August, any relief in sight?

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

New month, new thread.

Overcast, muggy & hot

(Zone 7a)

Overcast, muggy and cooler for us. 73º and rainy. We've gotten .25" of rain since last evening and more to come.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Temps hovering around 100, will be 104 tomorrow and high humidity. Ozone alert today and tomorrow along with Excessive Heat Warning.

Shadow, happy as can be!! LOL. He is a Siberian Husky/Boxer mix.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Sick of it. Don't want no stinking winter either. ;-)

aww, Shadow has the idea!

He and his sister Shiloh both hate canoes but love the floaties. LOL.

Shadow, Shiloh and Abbie. Abbie is my dog neice. lol. The dogs are posing with their owners.

Thumbnail by pepper23
(Zone 7a)

Those are husky eyes if I ever saw them. LOL

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

75°/97° Mostly sunny early then some scattered strong thunderstorms this afternoon. Hot and humid. Heat index near 110F. Winds SW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Oh Lou, no words needed :o(

Celia, love your little friend :o)

Pepper, what a handsome guy!! I love his ''tube," LOL!

Mrs Ed, I don't want no stinking winter either!

Pepper, wow, the two dogs are stiking together!!

Abbie is beautiful!

The water looks mighty fine too!

It's going to be hot! In spite of a chance for rain, we watered yesterday. I'm now pulling Spotted Spurge doilies, nightshade purslane and a lot of weedy grasses.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I let you know that I won't be on Internet for now (cancel)...
So Long everyone! Bye...

(Zone 7a)

Oh, Rusty, we're going to miss you!!!!!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

76°/89° Partly cloudy skies. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph.

Rusty, we will miss you here. Take care!

DRIVEWAY TODAY!!!!

We are finally going to cool down and the rain has disappeared for the time we need to pour the concrete.
FINALLY!!

Caught one day flu yesterday morning but have mostly recovered today. Sure knocked me for a loop though!! lol. I took advantage of a halfway decent day to pull tomato plants. The maters were starting to rot on vine so pulled the ones that could be saved and threw the rest for turtles.

Yesterday we broke a heat record from 1984 with high temps of 107. The old record was 104. Today a cool front is working its way thru the area so we only reached 90s for a high with a small breeze. So today was bearable. Chances of rain later on and most of tomorrow.

Pic of the Elk River from the canoe. This was before we hit all the party crowds. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23

Pepper,
I'm glad you're feeling better!

Your picture of Elk River is beautiful-almost breathtaking, in fact.

Roswell, NM(Zone 6a)

H O T ..... only the weeds seem to be doing fine. And it's too hot even in the morning to weed!

117 degrees, miserable.

High in the low 90s. Rain this morning then humidity shot up. Overall not bad.

One of my tomatoes that I managed to save.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Tough news this morning.
We lost our dog Wu about 3AM last night.
Heart Attack. She had been a little puny the last few days but nothing out of the ordinary.
Haven't got her papers handy but she was 11 years old I'm pretty sure.
Most Shar-pei of her generation passed on at about 5 of a genetic condition.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

So sorry. I have lost several dogs in my lifetime and every time it is like loosing a dear friend. My final solution has been to get a puppy when the present sweetheart is getting on in years. Sort of overlap. Always have two dogs at one time. I know your pain and share it with you.

Awww Ric and Robin,
I'm so sorry to hear about your buddy Wu. She was such a special, smart dog.

Please convey our thoughts to Robin, too. (((R and R)))

Deanna

So sorry to hear about Wu. Hugs to you and Robin!!

This morning and early afternoon it was hot and sunny like it has been. Stopped by Walmart and while there a big storm with a major punch rolls thru. Lots of wind, at times 90 mph, hail and heavy rain. Well, with that combo everyone was eventually sent to the back especially since we had no power. Finally managed to leave after storm rolled thru and all along the highway there were signs down. We get home and we have limbs everywhere and one big one in the driveway. All in all the damage here by me was mimimal. A small town 30 min east of me got hit with 90 mph winds and quite a bit of damage to trees and homes.

Now temps are in the mid 80s and cloudy again. Still have a chance for more storms.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

69°/83° Through 11am: Light rain. The rain will come to an end around 7am. Becoming mostly cloudy with temperatures steady near the low 70s. Then the chance of scattered thunderstorms this afternoon. A few storms may be severe. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 80%.

Pepper, Elk River is beautiful! So sorry to hear about the one day flu. Sheesh!

Awesome size on that tomato!! I had to throw my first ones too :o(

Aw Prissy, I hope you've cooled off a little by now.

Ric, huge hugs for Wu. That's pretty tough.

Wow Pepper! We had wind and a bit of rain Saturday night, but nothing like that!

The driveway is done, but we need to put the yard back together. So, we're leveling and filling now. First we had to pick up chunks and get them out of the way. We've taken the dirt piles down quite a bit already!

All torn up!

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

First truck.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

First third done on Wednesday.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Finished, with curbs!

Thumbnail by billyporter
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I can already see a terrific landscaping about to commence. So proud for you that it is finally accomplished.

(Zone 7a)

I can, too! How great is that?

Driveway looks great!!

/temps were pretty decent today. Only reached 80s and humidity was down.

Sally,
Roger and I went through this about 6 years ago. I know it's a big, big mess-for quite some time- but it will be "oh so worth it!!!" You will just love that concrete drive, and wonder how you ever managed without it.

I'm surprised to see curbs on the sides. Is that to direct water run-off away from the house? Watch out for the curbs when you're doing snow removal!

Are you going to plant driveway beds?

Sue,
How long does Tim get to stay home this time?

Don't you just love the fair? It's such a great experience for the twins too, I'm glad you're allowing them to experience this.

How's your plant business coming along?

Pepper,

My tomatoes are coming on strong and I can't believe the number of huge ones this year. Several of them just exploded so fast that the bottoms have split, but there's no BER that I've noticed. I've started picking them a little green and that seems to take care of the splitting.

Glad they are doing great for you!! I've already picked all mine and left the peppers out there to keep going. Was hoping to save my yellow squash but the bugs killed the plant so that's done. Sweet potato plant doing good it looks like though.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

65°/83° Through 10am: Mostly sunny with temperatures steady or slowly warming to the upper 60s. Mostly sunny. Winds NW at 10 to 20 mph.

Lou, yes you do! We filled in the left side, and I filled in the right side yesterday. DH worked hard at lifting a little sidewalk and designing a new water sluice at the end for any water that doesn't go down the driveway. We have a 50 gallon barrel buried and the boards on top are rotten. Time to make new ones. He's standing at the beginning of the sidewalk.

Thanks everyone :o)

Sasha, we already love it! The curbs came about because the yard ended up a lot taller than the driveway. We've shaved it off and are making a gentle slope down to it. We knew it would be low, but how low, was a lot! They suggested curbs and they really helped! And yes, they will direct the water :o)

I make too many trips across the driveway, so I won't be planting along side it. It's tempting, but no.

Pepper, it's such a shame to lose your garden.

We got to babysit at our house Sunday. I just got done mowing and had a washrag bath and changed my clothes, LOL!

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

All of us :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

What a joyful group. Makes my heart sing....

(Zone 7a)

I'm with you, LouC. I don't post here as often as I used to but, I read every word and love all the folks here.

Mid 80s for a high with lower humidity. Sooo nice!! Tomorrow will be high 70s with chance of rain.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Cool here tonight. 61º.
Nice relief, but not good for growing.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

109 again today. Next even days predicted the same. NO RAIN

Our high was around 80 today and our lows will be back in the 60s. No rain today but it was cloudy til early afternoon.

Went out and pulled weeds from around my pepper plants. Need to weed whole bed and get ready for fall planting. Just gotta decide what all I can and want to plant. I am gonna do radishes for sure. Maybe carrots if I am able to this late in the year.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Beautiful day here. Sunny 75º no wind, low humidity. We do need rain, although we can water anything in our garden. We are watering pickles so far. Good crop on Monday, picking again Friday.
Strawberries are going nuts. 20 pints today!
This was Sunday's picking. Had 18 pints on Monday.
Here's link to my thread on these.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1175007/

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

OK, this is why this cat is in the picture.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

56°/82° Sunny with temperatures warming rapidly into the low to middle 70s. Plentiful sunshine. Winds light and variable.

Lou and Celia, my heart is definately full!

Pepper and Bernie, good weather here too.

Lou, I've been praying for the South. I can't imagine how awful it is. It sure dashed any hopes of having a good summer.

Bernie, gorgeous berries and beautiful cat family!!

It's going to be another day of working on the dirt piles. What was to be my good dirt is still full of rocks. I'm fishing out what I can for the top layer of dirt before we grass seed it.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Prediction is for over 100 again and again and again.....

Low 80s and suuny today. Rain coming tomorrow. Low temps to last for the forseeable future. Not normal for August but not complaining!! I need to take advantage of it this weekend and weed my garden out. I want to plant radishes and carrots for fall planting.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.