August, any relief in sight?

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

63°/81° Through 11am: Mostly sunny with temperatures steady or slowly warming to the mid 60s. Lots of sunshine. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph.

Lou, I feel so bad for you. I put myself in your place and I don't think I could handle it without being depressed. That is too hot for too long and it affects so much. I pray that this is not a weather trend from now on.

Pepper, My other garden is filling up with sorted dirt and I was hoping to Fall plant too. Oh well. Next year.

The right half of the dirt pile is sorted, moved and raked flat, Yahoo!

Thumbnail by billyporter
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

That looks like such good rich soil. Here in North Texas we have a base of caliche (cement plants everywhere) with about 3 feet of clay. It is a challenge.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Still decent temps with high around 86. Humidity is up a bit but not unbearable.

A cluster of pots on the deck. That's Heart of the Jungle elephant ear. They all have done really well this summer.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Beautiful, Amanda. Just came in from hand watering. Things are dying anyway. Still 100+ and forecast more of the same. The rain skipped around us.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Well, Hello everyone! I just came to Library and check my email once a week to read all of this!

The weather is getting cool and got some good rain last time...

Went to Dr's last week and got feel better for my tailbone... Took x-ray for my lung and tailbone which it got from the tornado last time (dust in air)... I has go back to this end of August for check up again and see I hope get better...

This week I have to babysitter for my step-son's daughter ( for 2 months) and his girlfriend going to college...

Well, I hope all of you get good weather this month and get more rain again...

(Zone 7a)

Hi, Rusty!!! Welcome back!

We got some wild weather last night. Not much rain but LOTS of sound and fury! Gusts up to 40mph.

Sunny now and 75º.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

What a beautiful day today. Sunshine, 80º, light southerly wind. A day like this would be welcome any day in the summer!
Crew picked pickles this morning. Nice crop this year. We are watering them daily. Lots of muskmelons ripe everyday. We have Super Star variety. Many weigh 8 lbs or more.
Beans went on strike during the hot humid days. They are back like gangbusters now. 4, 4 gallon pails full of yellow ones off of a 80 ft long row. Green are just as loaded.
People love our beans!

(Zone 7a)

I guess we could say, "You know beans." ^_^

The wind has picked up a bit and the clouds are moving in. 84º

Rain off and on all day. Nice soaking rain that helps the weeds grow like gangbusters!! LOL Temps in the low 80s.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

59°/85° Sunshine and a few clouds. A stray afternoon thunderstorm is possible. Winds SSE at 10 to 20 mph.

Lou, I'm lucky to have more of a sandy loam in my end of town. Dad isn't the lowest point, but lower than me, and has more black gumbo. It gets hard and has deep cracks when we've had no rain for a long time. As you drive 3 miles east of town, it's blow sand. It's different all over. Your dirt does sound like a challange.

Pepper, your plants look great!!

Rusty, ouch on the tailbone and yikes on the dust in the lungs. I hope you get better!!

You are going to be busy with the little one :o)

Celia, we haven't had an August thunderstorm yet, but I'm ready!! How beautiful!!

Bernie, sounds like your part of the world is going well :o)

We moved the dirt pile off the yard Sunday and DH threw down some grass seed. We think we are done backfilling the areas so we can get grass going.

Now we have a large rock pile to shovel onto a trailor and run down to Dad's. After that, I need to keep raking rocks out if I want to keep more dirt for gardening.... and I do :o)

Yesterday we took off for the Iowa State Fair at 6:30 am, got there close to 9:00am and had perfect weather. Thank goodness we were in good shape because it's a lot of walking and standing. The food was good!

Me and the wooden lady at the fair.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

For those of you not on Cubits our Dear Friend 'sunfarm' (Sally) has entered Hospice today.
Pain management is their goal now on this the final step of her journey.

Ric

Sorry to hear about Sunfarm.

Sunny and warming up again. Mid 80s and higher humidity. Still not bad though.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I don't know Sally but that matters not. Will pray that Our Lord is merciful and she doesn't suffer.

(Zone 7a)

From what we've heard, she is in excwellent hands and her pain is is being managed well.

Thanks, for the update, Ric.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Mid 80s and sunny for a high.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

61°/86° Sunny. Winds light and variable.

(((Sally Sun)))

Sally is our concrete lady. She entered into the field when it was uncommonn for women to do so. She's ''spotlighted'' on Cubits and has had an interesting life.

She's an avid supporter of the CoCoRahs weather.

Sadly, she's been battling cancer for a long time and ran out of options. She's slowly passing away. She'll be missed very much.

(Zone 7a)

Eeeeeeek!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

67°/88° Through 10am: Mostly sunny with temperatures rising towards the upper 70s. Winds ENE at 5 to 10 mph.

LouC, that is awful! I feel bad posting my weather. We've not had rain, but we aren't hot either. I hope the weather pattern breaks soon!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

If you click the above link each day it will be updated. Unfortunately, there is no change for the future, same everyday.....hot,hot,hotter,hotter,hottest,

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/local-news/20110817-high-nighttime-temperatures-taking-a-toll-on-dallas-fort-worth.ece

don't know if this link will work or not. We have now set records for high temps at night.

(Zone 7a)

I got the 1st paragraph and then it says I need subscriber content access.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Sorry. I am a subscriber and when I click on the link it lets me in. Jist of it is, we are not going below the 80's during the night. Normal for this time of year would be in the upper 60's for a low. 16 deaths so far attributed to the heat just in Dallas alone.

Hot, around 97 for a high. Humid too. Bad storms rolled thru last night. I heard on radio last night from weather service that it had produced 100 mph winds but haven't been able to catch any news since. Saw a cornfield with storm damage east of us about 20 minutes.

(Zone 7a)

Dang! We're having low 90s to 95º for several more days and 65º at night.

This is what Monty says about the heat.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

72°/79° Partly to mostly cloudy with a chance of thunderstorms. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

LouC, that is not a record anyone wants to break. Hot nights are worse than hot days. I got a subscribe box, but I get it.

Wow Pepper, our weather is so different for being ''close.'' I am so glad it's not rolling thru your place!

Celia, Monty has that right!

We did it! We finished last night. The dirt pile is now a fairly clean, larger, fluffed up pile! This little guy says phooey too!

Actually I was sitting in the adirondack chair with Sneakers, the neighbor's cat, on my lap and the squirrel was still giving his warning call, but without much enthusiasm :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

A picture of our efforts. It took 13 days to sort rocks from the dirt pile, take the rocks to Dad's, fill the sides in after we scraped the high spots, and get grass to grow. We see little green spears!

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

The finished product as of last night!

Thumbnail by billyporter
Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Not so bad in Central FL. We have been staying under 90 each day for a good week now and predictions are the same for the coming week...fingers crossed, and afternoon rains have cooled our evenings down to low 70's. The last two mornings it was 72 at sunrise for my morning walks...so much nicer than 80 something. Humidity still high in the early and late hours but we're used to that. Hearing some acorns starting to fall from the oaks...always a good sign. :)

Thumbnail by sunkissed
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Beautiful day here. Sunny & a light breeze. Just like sitting on the ocean beach. So nice I didn't bother looking at the temperature.
Still need rain, it's been 33 days now since last one.

Had a terrific day at market. Our biggest $ day ever!
Fun to be rewarded for our hard work. Lots of comments on how good our things are.

Tonight a couple, friends, are celebrating 50 years of wedded bliss. Big party. The whole family does a lot of partying, so should be a good time. It's at our local legion club.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Another day at 107 and no rain since February. Celebrated our 50th, June 9th. Used to think that was reallllyy ooolllldd people. I'm not old. Not even 70 yet.

More storms rolled thru around 3am. Winds were strong enough that alot of people thought we were having tornadoes but the weatherman said it's just high winds. Some damage here in our yard and at few neighbors. Mostly big limbs down. My grandma's corn is ruined and my cannas are knocked down. My mom had black walnuts hit her car so she has dents from them.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Sorry about the damage, Amanda. Wish we could get some kind of change.

I've had worse damage so it's not too bad really. Just frustrating when you are trying to keep the trees alive. We are losing 2 more trees this year. I hope we replace them with the black walnut trees we have growing in my gardens. I want to keep the trees just not where they are at now. lol

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

68°/83° Through 10am: Decreasing clouds with temperatures steady in the mid 60s. Sunny. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph.

Hi Sunkissed, awesome photo!

Happy Belated Birthday and I love your garden swing too!

We have walnuts falling already. Not a good sign. The squirrels didn't have much to eat last year and might not this year either. We crack a few, but still have a lot in the freezer, so we won't need to pick any up this year.

Bernie, we've been blessed with the same beautiful weather.

You do put a lot of work into your produce and I'm glad it's rewarding!

50 years, that is wonderful! The Legion, yep, a whole lot of celebrating :o)

Lou, ROTFL! First, congratulations to you for your 50th, and no, we are not old are we? I'm just into my 50's.

Wow Pepper, where are your storms coming from?

Losing those big limbs is so sad. It sure ruins a tree. Knocking the corn down isn't nice either. I hope the dents aren't too bad in your Mom's car.

Walnut trees are good strong trees, altho we've had huge limbs crack under the weight of all the nuts on them. I was mowing when I heard one limb crack. It fell downwards so slow I was in no danger of being hit, LOL!

Got two grandkids sleeping in the other room. The oldest starts school Monday and can't wait. His Aunt is going to take him in when she goes to her class to help with a handicapped child. He's disappointed at not getting to ride the bus :o)

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

billy, so glad that you have your new drive and sidewalks. I know that will make a huge difference in convenience.

My squirrels won't have many nuts either if the winds keep knocking them out before they ripen.

Kinda hot, highs in high 80s, will get hotter as week goes on.

Some of my cannas. There is only one stalk standing now due to the storm.

Thumbnail by pepper23
(Zone 7a)

Pepper, that one is very pretty. Sorry you lost a stalk. That sucks.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

70°/92° Scattered thunderstorms, especially during the afternoon hours. A few storms may be severe. Winds S at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

Thanks Lou, it was long waited for.

Pepper, at least it won't kill the Canna, but it sure ruins enjoying any blooms.

It's been busy again. Today I am going down to help my elderly relative pack. She's finally ready to go to assisted living. We were getting her groceries all last winter.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Little rain with thunderstorm just went through. Don't know how much, but some nice puddles.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.