A Wild Grass?

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

This is growing on my sons property next door. When I 1st noticed it in April or May, the grass was only 3 to 4 inches high and it had left over bloom spikes. My DH didn't mow it down because he liked it and I do too.. As the weather
warmed, it grew quickly. I'm sure it will throw up new bloom spikes this fall.
Does anyone recognize it?

Jackie

Thumbnail by patootie
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm not so sure it's a grass--looks sort of like dogfennel (Eupatorium capillifolium) to me http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54505/

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm with ecrane3 about it not being a grass but some type of fennel. Still is beautiful, let it grow until you don't like it anymore then cut it down.

Jan

Thanks Ecrane and Jan. Well it was the tall spikes that threw me off, looking like the flowering spikes that ornamental grasses sport. We will keep it around, it's not spreading and we like its looks. Nice to have something
different.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

did you post it over on the id forum. Someone will know what it is.

Jan

Jan thats a good idea although I do think its a Fennel as Ecrane suggested.

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

It is a host plant to butterfly. Not sure if it is Swallowtail or which, but mine would get eaten bare by the caterpillars. So I left it in my yard, I like the look also. It is a perennial where I was in zone 7 at the time. It has a sort of citrus scent also.

Windy, thanks for that info. Yes its an impressive plant to me in looks and size
Glad to know its a butterfly host. :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.