Critters Big and Small Vol. 10

Sandusky, OH

Great shots of all your critters everyone! Some of my critters as of late.
Stumbled upon a 11pt Whitetail buck at Pickerel Creek WA

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

Looks like he's getting some good minerals with a rack like that...if he makes it through a couple more hunting seasons he will be quite a buck!

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

a dragonfly

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

lastly a dragonfly with a spider hiding right below.

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Wild Rose, I saw quite a few hawks down here. I'm so grateful there are lot of shrubs that birds in the garden can hide when the Hawks visit. Kingbirds are very astute hunters. It's sad that they can also be hunted as well. But it's nature of things. Burd, love those shots of the dragonflies.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Burd... gorgeous buck! Love that first shot!

Sandusky, OH

Thanks VARose!...Ive entered that shot into a contest...my first.

Oxford, MS(Zone 7a)

Burd_Fotos...What a buck!!! Sweet shot!!!

Mrs_Ed...Nice dragonfly shot!! I think that is an Eastern Pondhawk.

Beautiful shots everyone!! Keep 'em coming! I am busy, busy right now..had a kidney stone Tuesday finally passed it about 11pm Tues. night. Trying to get some new chicken pens and nest boxes built, had to put a fuel pump in one of our trucks last night, my son and I had to take the bed off of the truck to repair the in-tank fuel pump..whew!!, did'nt get finished with that until after 9pm and he had to start back to school today and etc....We like others had a 116 degree heat index yesterday with a predicted 120 degree index today (gonna be a nasty one) ....Hope to be able to slow down some soon and get back to the site more often. Y'all have a good 'un!!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

DWM, 116-120 heat index!!! Whew, it was hot here too, not sure what the index was but it feels like I can cook an egg on the sidewalk. DH and I were zapped yesterday with the heat. Please all of us take good care and keep ourselves hydrated under this terrible heat wave.

It's slightly over cast today secondary to Emily tropical storm effect. Looking forward to other fabulous posting from y'all.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Found a 'special' housekeeping helper. We're surrounded with woods and water, so little mice are sometimes found around the house. A non-poisonous snake of some kind. He was found in our basement. DH has a day off today to work in our garden. He found the snake, helped removed the snake and dropped it off to the woods.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Craig Co., VA(Zone 7a)

Looks like he's been cleaning cob webs for you too!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I'm ambarress to say, it did lot of cleaning. Thus my helper.

Craig Co., VA(Zone 7a)

I'm sure he found places you haven't been in a while or don't even want to go. A lot of basements are like that.

Glad you were kind enough to set him free Lily!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I have come to appreciate wildlife more than ever before. A benefit of learning, I suppose. Thanks all for your thought. What kind of snake that would mimic rattle snake when threatened? This fella was just "rattling" his tail as we approached him/it.

Oxford, MS(Zone 7a)

Lily_love...I think your snake is a Kingsnake.... Was it black with yellowish or whiteish bands and/or specks and dots? If it is a Kingsnake, keep it around.
Kingsnakes are resistant to the venom of pit-vipers and they readily eat copperheads, cottonmouths, and rattlesnakes. Although they frequently rattle their tail, release musk, and bite upon capture, they generally tame quickly and are often kept as pets.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

DWM, thank you so very much for the added information regarding the nature of Kingsnake. Fascinating that they're resistant to venom of pit-vipers. DH appreciated you passing on that knowledge to us and others. Once again, many thanks.

Craig Co., VA(Zone 7a)

A Black Rat Snake (Pantherophis obsoletus) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantherophis_obsoletus will also do the rattlesnake mimic. The picture of the 6 footer I posted on July 28 in this thread kinked up and shook his tail and it sounded pretty realistic. Especially in the dry leaves!

From the above link:

"When startled, they may freeze and wrinkle themselves into a series of kinks. If they feel further threatened, they may flee quickly or vibrate their tails in dead leaves (a form of mimicry, which makes them sound like rattlesnakes). They are also capable of producing a foul smelling musk which they will release onto a predator if picked up. They spread the musk with their tail in hopes of deterring the threat."

This message was edited Aug 5, 2011 7:15 AM

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Some kind of assassin bug in the garden;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Red-banded Hairstreak and friend.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Some more deer photos... a watchful doe

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose

Crossing the Big Meadow...

Up close and personal...

Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

Outside my kitchen window.

Thumbnail by ves522

How awesome is that??? Sandcranes in your yard!

Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

Every morning at 6 o'clock like clockwork! I am just not always up at that time. There are actually 4 of them. The parents and they raised 2 this year. Has been so much fun watching them grow.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Nice shots Wild Rose...love the meadow shot. I have not seen our doe for over a week now. The last time I saw her she was limping and I did not see the fawn with her.

ves52...how awesome is that!! :)

So many people let their cats run loose out here which is one of my pet peeves.....for the cats safety and health as well as the animals and birds they prey on. Spotted this one while walking one morning.

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Oxford, MS(Zone 7a)

Quote from Lily_love :
Living at the same place for 30 something years? Wow, it's all the more the for the excitement finding a fledgling for the 1st time! I love those mysterious looking birds! They only passing through during migration. Thank you, for sharing pics.

Not sure what I've got here, but these little ones love to congergate on my milkweed's seedpods when young.

Hard to give a definite ID from your pic..but could be (Oncopeltus fasciatus) - Large Milkweed Bug nymphs or (Zelus longipes) - Milkweed Assassin Bug nymphs.

Great pics everyone!!! Been really busy, hope to be able to get back soon..

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Lovely shots everyone.

A Purple finch

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

A Mallard, that was very friendly.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thank Mike for the attempt to i.d. those bugs. By far I don't see any damage from those bugs so I stood back and enjoy them. Bernadette, nice one of the purple finch and the friendly Mallard.

Sandusky, OH

Great shots everyone! Leopard Frog's are everywhere at Pipe Creek...lol

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos

saw 2 of these caterpillars in the yard today.....not sure which moth it is yet. Gus wanted to play with this one so I removed it from the back yard for its own good!

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Great details on that Leopard Frog Burd. Good for you Nan, I can't see how either Gus nor the caterpillar will get any 'fun' from playing with each other. lol

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Great frog pic, Burd.

Nanny, Your caterpillar, is in the tussock moth family.

Babies are so cute.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Plenty of Cabbage white butterflies, but couldn't any of the others.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

Hey...thanks burn!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Dragonfly.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

This from back on July 28....thingsa got crazy here and I forgot about some photos. This was on the Greencastle People Path. I bet they eat very well here since this part is right next to the farm fields! lol

This message was edited Aug 23, 2011 11:19 AM

Thumbnail by nanny_56

This was when we were having extreme heat and the cows were packed into the water hole!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.