Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Just had to start a new thread.
We came from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1192537/

Thumbnail by ge1836
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thank you ge!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 9a)

ge, what's is your lily's name? I like her.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Black Dragons.The deer ate most of them.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 9a)

She resembles 'Black Beauty'. I just picked her and placed her with my cut flowers.

Thumbnail by Inthegarden
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

What are the purple flowers? Are they that big or closer to the camera? Gorgeous!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

MY BAD they are Black Beauty.
Thanks for the memory jog.

The purple flowers in the background are Echinaceas aka purple cone flower.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Aren't the purple ones some kind of campanula?

This message was edited Jul 29, 2011 7:59 PM

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

You had me going there for a minute. I have Black Dragon, which contrary to its name is a white trumpet with kind of a maroon back and edging. Thought I was losing it. Actually, maybe I have as I haven't seen it yet. Blackout and Black Bird have blossomed, and some NOID's that aren't too remarkable. also looks like a first time lily named Reinesse just popped.

This message was edited Jul 29, 2011 5:59 PM

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I love it when the new ones bloom for the first time. Mary, you seem to be blooming when the rest of zone 5 is blooming, so you may very well be a 5.

No that my lilies are almost done, it's a pleasure to see the fresh ones open on DG! And they are all lovely.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I am close to the end. Casa Blanca is blooming, and so is Anastasia, but the one that has blown me away is Crystal Blanca (B&D Lilies). It's like a shorter Casa Blanca with shorter stems, and it has been in bloom since the 21st. It produces lots of buds, which bloom, apparently, in groups of 3.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Crystal Blanca is beautiful and I love the shot with the dark background. they look magical. Hopefully things will start bursting soon. Only 'garden variety' thus far.

Well here goes. This is Blackout, or so I think. it doesn't look at dark in the center as it did last year, but I am pretty sure this is where I planted it. It is very close to Black Bird, which has a more orangy look I think.

Thumbnail by Oberon46
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

What intense color. I have learned to love the reds, way after everyone else. What a beauty! Keep them coming!!!!

Phoeey. I posted two to another thread in error -- one on ponds no less. Okay Here is White Butterflies

Thumbnail by Oberon46

Rienesse

Thumbnail by Oberon46

NOID I just call Lily No 1

Thumbnail by Oberon46

Well, a lily is a lily -- so here is Anna Epple

The bigger ones, orienpets, trumpets, are yet to open

Thumbnail by Oberon46
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

White Butterflies is particularly nice. Just gorgeous. And yes, a lily is a lily. You will keep posting as your later lilies open, yes? I for one wouldn't miss it for anything. It's so nice to come to the thread and see new lilies!

Tomah, WI

Love everyone's lilies! My "need" list keeps growing!

Here's Altari-

Thumbnail by mattsmom
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

That is GORGEOUS! Is it an orienpet?

Tomah, WI

Yes, Altari is an Orienpet. Here is a link to my pix of Altari two years ago in their first year. They have really multiplied!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/270352/

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

mstella! I think your NOID with red center is Grand Cru

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

The density of flowers and buds at the top of the stem is amazing. You made a great choice when you installed that one!

thanks for the ID on my Noid. At least I can give it a name now. Altari looks rather like Black Dragon, only lighter on the outside. I surely mine look as gorgeous and robust as yours.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Nice lilies, everyone.

Moby, those purple flowers from early in this thread are a type of clematis.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Are they "Jan Lindmark"?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Thanks Lefty.

Well, this isn't about lilies, but I got my box from Schreiners!!! plus two bonus iris Diamond Lake and Grateful Red. Now the search for where to plant them. Dig up more annuals to make room I guess..

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Digging up annuals?? LOL

Huh?? Okay, it sounds wacked. But I don't know what else to do... I have no bare spots in my garden as I fill in with annuals. If I get them in now they will have a few months to get healthy roots and just might survive our winter.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hey, I'n not laughing. I grow the kinds of annuals that bloom into November and I definitely rip them out to get my lilies in.

The crazy things we gardeners do!

Annuals in November!!! Oh my. I really need to look more closely at living further south. But not too far. Are you all still cooking down there?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Yessss....... 104* today and still 90* at this hour. I'd kill to simply have a 'nice' day.

Holy sheep dip!! You have no escape except an air conditioner. As bad as -40 and -50 in alaska. No, worse I think.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I've experienced -40 and it ain't pretty, but then you don't expect to be playing outside in the winter. This heat wave has been going on so long that people are getting cabin fever. That's not supposed to happen in the summer and I'm getting darn cranky myself! Feel like a 3 year old.. "I wanna go out and play! >:(

I image it is so. I spent Feb thru June in western Tennessee by the Kentucky border and that was bad enough, and hadn't really even started to get as bad as it would get. And life does go on and you do go out even in -40 or -50. Just not as often. About as often as you might in +100. Maybe less if your car won't start. lol

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

It's hot here today but not like Moby in Nebraska. It did go down to 68 degrees here, and the high today is 91, but feels much hotter. Now that I am old and really intolerant of the heat, I don't know how we got through the 50s without an a/c. Those were the years I was in summer camp.

Is Stamford humid? Is that why it seems much hotter?

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

At times the humidity can be awful, but nothing like Florida. It is not humid today, just hot, but nothing like what Moby has to deal with. We're right on Long Island Sound, so the one thing we get is is pitting on aluminum furniture and screen/storm doors.

This entire summer it is far less humid than usual, for which I am thankful. Despite the occasional rains, everything is dry. My husband waters early in the a.m., and I often water again later in the day. Is it dry where you are? I cannot envision -40 degree weather. In Chicao, they close schools when it is 10 below because they don't want children waiting for the school bus in the cold. What about Anchorage?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.