The coconut wireless - chat threat 2

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I, too, have tried to contact Jennie. No reply.

Will be praying for you Katie, that the surgery goes well and you recover quickly.

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Aloha, my cyber ohana everywhere.

The previous posts regarding Jenn's absence from DG worried me deeply. So, I decided to call her. Having unlimited worldwide long distance does have its advantages: call Hawai'i as if you were calling across the street. I love it.

I have reached Jenn in 3 rings. I have informed her that her absence had been noted. As she put it, life has gotten in the way of Dave's Garden. She reports she is fine and will make an appearance here soon. She also apologizes for any worries her absence may have caused.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Glad to hear of it Sylvain. Thanks for calling her up for us!!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Good to hear from everyone! It has been great weather here and the daylilies and Rose of Sharon are in bloom.

We are still working at Mom's house, but have a meeting with a Realtor on Thurs to put it on the market. Please pray it sells quickly.

Love to all!

mulege, Mexico

Thank you, Sylvain. I'm relieved.

Waiting for my new puter to come in the mail so I can head for home in my new-to-me former ambulance.

katie

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha my dear friends,

So sorry it's been so long since I have even touched the computer let alone checked in here at Daves. Thank you so much for the call Sylvain, I was sitting by Mom so I couldn't say much...

We have had a very rough winter with my Mom. It got so bad that many family members came to visit - we really thought she was on her way out and she is the last of her generation. My own family has been here from the end of March to the begining of May to relieve me of some of the nursing and I finally got a little rest. She is a little better now and the Dr's seem to have got some of the infections that she was getting under control, but she is terribly under weight and has aged a lot over the last 6 months. It's very hard to watch it happening to your Mom, but she is also not the easiest of patients to deal with as she had become very fretfull and depressed. The doctor has now put her on anti-depressants which has helped with her attitude - I haven't heard her say that she just wants to go to bed and die for almost a week now which is a relief.

I gave my notice in at work last Monday, and already I feel lighter without having to cope with that too...I will be working (within reason) for a few more weeks until they replace me. I shall miss all the guys I work with and the owners and visitors but it is for the best for sure.

I hope all is well in your worlds and I send all my love to you guys,

Jenn

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh dear. Our beautiful Margaret. Please hug her neck and tell her it is from Mike and I. Mike's mother is 94 1/2 and we had to move her into assisted living in Nov. 2010. She is very unhappy and says the same phrase....I just wish I could die. Keeps us hopping. She is now 8 miles away instead of 75 so that is some better. I'm sorry for the circumstance but glad to know you are still with us. Just so you know, you're still at the top of the list. Love you a lot.

Princess Kilikina (haven't been Princess in a long time)

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh Jen, so sorry to hear about your Mom. I definately know what it is to see them decline. Mother went downhill in approx one month, and was gone. Each day seemed like eternity, but in reality, a month is not very long.

We will be praying for you, your Mom and your family. HUGS to all of you, Jen!

It will be a year next month that Mom passed away and we are just now getting her house on the market. It was listed yesterday and went on MLS today. I pray it sells quickly.

I am resting today, but will have to start back packing dishes on Monday, and finish cleaning out the garage. It takes time to go thru forty years of accumulation.

Hope everyone else is well. The weather here has been sooooo nice and we got rain in the night last night so I don't have to water today. Yea!!!!!!

Happy Mother's Day to all of the Mom's out there!

Aloha!
Jeanne

Virginia Beach, VA

Jeanne,
Good luck with selling your Mom's house. I do not know what is going on on my Mom's house. My neice is consulting probate Lawyers. it make it hard because of the distance.

Jen,

I just lost my Mom last Feb 9, she lived in Hawaii but my sister took her to Rhode Island for 3 years.

there is a forum at DG titled Caregivers and lots of interesting reading.

Good luck!!

Belle

Happy Mothers' Day to everone.

I woke up to such a downpour an hour ago, I thought the firemen were hosing the house down. It didn't last. And that's a good thing, really. I am hosting an open house this afternoon. Nobody visits houses for sale in the rain. And the mess that those visitors make on a rainy day. Thankfully, I'm only in charge of showing it, not clean up after them. Well, speak of the Beast... the downpour started again. It's going to be one of those days. The Weather Channel said the other day that Florida's rainy season has started a full month ahead of schedule. But the plants love it. Who am I to complain?

In other news, it's o'oku here: a made-up hawai'ian word I learned at the orchid society meaning Operation Orchid Klean Up. I have orchids that have done exactly NOTHING since I got them, some as long as 2 years ago. I concluded that they didn't like where they were, or how they were treated. So, orchids that were in the shade will be relocated to half-sun. Others that were in half-sun will be moved to more sun if their leaves didn't burn. Those that were in full sun will stay there but get a stern warning that they are teetering on the edge of the garbage can's rim. And everyone will be getting a heavy dose of orchid bloom booster. Next January, any orchid that hasn't performed will go to that big compost heap in the sky. I have been unchracteristically patient with that lot. No more Mr. NiceBear.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

Virginia Beach, VA

Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms!!!
Good morning everyone!!!

We are on a family vacation in Fort Walton Florida and stopped by Jo Patti's seafood in Pensacola to buy 25 lbs of royal red shrimp and boy the place was packed. Our children also bought the jumbo regular shrimp. fish and clams as well as 2 boxes of oysters. they said it is my treat for mothers day. they also bought some smoked fish.

We had the shrimp and some oysters last night and are delish!!! Such good children!!!

It poured this morning and so we are going to the outlet mall. DH and SIL is staying behind. We are taking my 2.5 year old grandson.

Hope the sun comes out in aM so we can go to the beach otherwise the pool will come in handy.

Have a good day !!!

Belle

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Rained here all day yesterday and the night before. Thank you, Lord. Perfectly beautiful today. Out to the flower garden to thank Him for all my blessings,

Happy Mother's Day to all.

PK

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Happy Mother's Day to you mothers on this forum!!

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Happy Mothers Day!
Here is a picture of my beautiful Mom!

Thumbnail by Braveheartsmom
Virginia Beach, VA

Your Mom is Gorgeous!!!

Belle

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

And she hasn't lost any of her beauty. Thinking of you, Jen,

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

sylvain, that passion vine is gorgeous. i would love a trade. i have a few hoyas, dragon fruit, or even the possum purple passion vine.

Thumbnail by candela

Hi, all.

Cassandra, you are in luck. I just found some rooted passionflower cuttings I had forgotten. Mother Nature took care of them and they're good to go. I plan to be in the Miami area one day in the beginning of June. My friend Marc-André wants to go visit Ree Gardens. They are having their plant sale from May 25th to 27th, but she has given me permission to send her email and request a private visit. They're such nice people and their plants are just to die for.

So, I'll earmark those passionflower babies for you. We'll arrange the trade later. I never thought, 6 years ago, that I would eventually have anything an accomplished gardener such as yourself might consider obtaining from me. You do me too much honor. Would you also like to have a silkfloss tree seedling (seiba speciosum)?

Take care.
Sylvain.

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

sylvain, if you want to stop by my jungle on the way down or back you are more than welcome. i am off on sat, sun, mon, and weds.so if it turns out to be a one of those days. you should drop by. palm hammock orchid estate is close to ree gardens. you should check that out too. i love them both. i would love a silk floss. i had one at the other house. i have absolutely no room, of course, but i will manage to squeeze it in.
cassandra

Thumbnail by candela Thumbnail by candela Thumbnail by candela
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Cassie and Sylvain, how do you keep your passion vines in check? I just whacked down a huge white one, I had never seen it bloom but when I brought it down there were buds, I put a few cuttings in water and the flowers are opening. It had searched for the sun and was blooming about 20+' up in the tree tops. This was a thick vine and it was pulling grown trees down.

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

Ardesia I am not sure yet. I have one possum purple in a huge pot growing over a pergola kind of thing. The root is really thick. It is about 3 years old and the first time it has flowered/fruited. My concern now is that it is starting to grow over the house. I plan on hacking it back after it fruits. I just got a couple of cutting of an alba and lady Margaret from kayjones that are doing fine on a chain link fence. I hope I can just hack them back when they get out of control.

Hi, Ardesia. I think of you often, as I tend my lotus. They came from your garden. They are blooming now. Oh, how I love them.

How do I keep my passionflower vine in check? I don't even have to worry about it. It grows in cycles: lush greenery, followed by gulf fritillary caterpillars that eat it down to nothing and it starts over again. We are currently in the middle of a lush period, but those caterpillars are showing up now and then. Also, I have been giving some to my neighbors and sharing with fellow gardeners. Mine is 8 feet tall by 5 feet wide and about 3 feet thick. It is a vigorous grower. Would you like some? I'd gladly mail you some.

Cassandra, I'll try to line up one of your days off with our visit to Ree's Garden. Thanks for reminding me of Palm Hammock. I always forget about them.

Take care.
Sylvain.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Thank you Sylvain, but no more passion vines for me. I love the gulf frits but they were not doing their job on this passi, it was taking over. I have identified it as 'Charlotte Corday'. I don't rememeber buying it but it does have distinctive leaves, maybe I did. LOL That is what happens when you get old.

See the 5th post here for the picture of the open flower of this lovely thug.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1257881/

This message was edited May 22, 2012 6:49 AM

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Hope everyone is OK. My sister is now in rehab. You can read details over on the prayer forum.

We have an offer on Mom's house, so pray it passes inspection. If so we will close in 30 days!

It's been absolutely gorgeous weather here, so everything is really growing at full speed, esp. the weeds!

Take care, and Aloha!

Jeanne

Hi, everyone.

This threading, at 304 replies, is getting a tad long in the tooth. Please allow me to start a new one.

We are now at:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1262494/

See you next door.
Sylvain.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.