What garden pest are you currently dealing with?

(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 153 votes:

Japanese Beetles
(32 votes, 20%)
Red dot

Deer
(11 votes, 7%)
Red dot

Squirrels
(16 votes, 10%)
Red dot

Moles or voles
(12 votes, 7%)
Red dot

More than one of the above.
(28 votes, 18%)
Red dot

Other?. (tell us!)
(54 votes, 35%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Covington, KY(Zone 6a)

The deer are eating up the tomato plants

Maple Valley, WA

Small caterpillars of different species. Also bad year for insects like leafhoppers!

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7b)

Aphids! Hate the little buggers!

Jasper, AR(Zone 7a)

Armadillos are digging up my beds nightly.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Japanese Beetles ... bah!! :-(

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Japanese Beetles and Aphids here, although the JB have just about run their course for the season...but not before they set up camp in my roses.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Slugs, as always. My poor ligularias look like black lace.

Caddo Mills, TX(Zone 8a)

I have a problem with squash bugs and grasshoppers. Even the chickens can't keep up with the grasshoppers.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hate to say brown rats, but I have had to stop feeding the birds entirely, which has frustrated/saddened me, the birds, the squirrels, and the rats. (:>)

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

Japanese beetles and raccoons. Oh my!

Ladoga, IN(Zone 6a)

Japanese beetles, deer, AND rabbits.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

slugs the dreaded creepy crawlers. i thought I had them on the run then I started seeing little ones everywhere. I hope the sluggo works quickly

Trenton(close to), TX(Zone 8a)

Too d#%n many transient grass hoppers. A couple of pounds of NOLO didn't slow them border jumpers one bit. They have eaten my butterfly bushes down to sticks for third year in a row. Butterfly bushs may be destined for the compost.

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

^&*($$^& gophers

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I love my roses but the Japanese beetles love them more!

Sioux Center, IA

bunnies and earwigs...yuck!

Parma, OH(Zone 5b)

The usual suspects, bunnies, jap beetles and slugs. Bunnies ate up all my new plantings. Aaarrrggghhh !!!

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Japanese beetles, and I suspect moles or voles, because we now have some big brown patches in our yard. :(

Lake Park, GA

Drought. Finally had about a 3-inch downpour two days ago, but that is the first real rain for months. Of course, drought-stressed plants (and hose water keeps 'em alive, but they do not thrive!) are susceptible to all kinds of bugs and disease -- too many to list, unfortunately!

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Stinkbugs.

I gave my neighbor 28 tomato plants, which he promptly planted. He got a bumper crop of tomatoes. Now, he has a bumper crop of STINKBUGS. Good thing there's at least one house between us, and I've just ripped my vines to take cuttings for the fall. It's gonna be an all out war...!

Leaf River, IL(Zone 4b)

All of the above plus rabbits eating everything. Blue Jays eating the buds of my roses and the opposums pulling potted plants out and eating the roots. And racoons getting in everything. Racoons do a nasty number on strawberry plants.

West Plains, MO(Zone 6b)

Slugs and Grasshoppers!

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Squirrels are a problem year-round!

Aphids are more numerous this year.

The slugs seem to have disappeared, but I think that's because we now have a "frog pond" and there are lots of toads/frogs on patrol.

Japanese Beetles are here in small numbers.

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

Asiatic lily beetles have been worse than ever this year. They started in April, when lilies were barely coming up,. I've had a few brief reprieves after killing tons of them. Now they seem to be on theupswing again. I'm afraid I'm going to have cut way back on the number of lilies in my garden this fall. Just can't deal with them.

Nurmo, Finland(Zone 4b)

Slugs. Apparently they're Spanish slugs. I blame it all on the Schengen Agreement. They can now come to Finland without needing passports.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Mealybugs, always mealybugs, though the real culprit is probably the ants that "farm" the mealybugs. I have even had mealybugs in the house, but no ants, thank goodness.

This message was edited Jul 12, 2011 10:52 AM

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Neighbours' cats (6 of them) - cr@pping everywhere and killing off all the birds :-((

Resin

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

One good thing about the heat in Phoenix is that it keeps all of these pests away!

Maryville, TN(Zone 7a)

Rabbits in the garden plus discerning groundhogs nibbling my MG's and moonflowers. The only upside is I'm becoming a pretty good shot with the power spray setting on the hose lol!

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Agree w/Nancy, however, I've been battling Western Grape Leaf Skeletonizer caterpillars; currently on my second invasion. Also had a real problem with caterpillars in my petunias.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits the most. Just a little damage from Japanese beetles this year. Occasionally the deer will forage.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

No bad pest problems this year in terms of insects. I did have a problem earlier with some creepy green worms that were eating the leaves of my Aquilegia, but only in one bed. Occasionally I've had one plant or another that gets little holes or trails, but usually, if I wait it, out, they move on.

We have lots of Deer, Squirrels, Chipmunks & Bunnies . . .but I don't consider them to be pests. We love having them around and I find ways to limit the damage to their favorite plants . . .Liquid Fence is a staple of mine.

This message was edited Jul 13, 2011 11:25 AM

(Zone 7a)

Grasshoppers!!!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

My own German Shephard. I dig holes and put plants in the ground. He digs holes and puts bones, socks, and teddy bears in the ground.

Abilene, TX(Zone 7b)

With our drought, rats have been the bggest problem. They are looking for water and eat my plants for the moisture. We've put out poison and the dogs are getting a few, but they are still doing damage. Of course the dogs are also digging in the garen looking for some cool ground

Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

Found a copperhead amongst my bush beans. Almost laid my hand on it.

Thumbnail by moxies_garden
Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

Jap. beetles, deer, armadillos, rabbits, squirrels, stray cats, (looks like they would keep the squirrels and rabbits away) fire ants. Probably some more if I took time to think. Luciee {;^) Moxie, be careful when playing with snakes! Some are poisonous!! I'm glad you were not bitten! (tongue-in-cheek) But seriously, I'm glad you weren't bitten. Luciee

This message was edited Jul 13, 2011 4:00 PM

Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks luciee! I caught it ti make sure I wasn't going to get bit by that one. I put on my leather work gloves, my big black wellies, grabbed 2 poles, one with a hook...and a big vintage 2 quart mason jar. I looked it up..definitely a copperhead..and venomous. It has been hanging around for about a month now. But, as much as we have to do around here, I like to know where these critters are. As much as possible.

Thumbnail by moxies_garden
Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Wow, what did you DO with it? You're pretty brave; not sure I would have tried catching a copperhead. I guess at least that way you aren't in fear every time you're out there, wondering when you are going to stumble across it again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.