Hardy PLASTIC TRAYS to start my seedlings, any suggestion?

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

If you like photos of Solo cups ...

cups
my cat Toby
and a yogurt quart with a lilly
which I THINK is this lily

Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

THanks RIcCorey! Esp for Toby- cutie pie

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Cool pics Rick. What is the lily? Beautiful

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Sorry, no ID!

The bulb must have been in the soil when I moved in. I don't think I saw ANYTHING there the first year or so, then I started excavating a spot filled with rock and clay.

I dug up a few small mystery bulbs. Rescued them, put them in potting soil.

I made a slightly raised bed with amended soil AND DRAINAGE in the old spot, and planted the lily back there.

The FIRST year it came up a very conventional soft pink. Nice but not remarkable.
Ever since, it came up this deep deep dark red with black spots or streaks.
I gave a (dark red) bloom to some baristas once, and one of them was almost afraid of it, it was so "dark".

Eventually it must have split underground because a shoot came up several inches away. The first year, THAT shoot was mild pink also!

Sorry, I can't find a photo of the pink stage!

Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA

what an awesome lily for a lost treasure..
M'ROW Toby!! like brown tabby, esp with the bib and boots

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Whoever was there before me also left a MAGIC square yard of heavy clay full of bulbs. They only came up one year, but it was planned so that on e kind of bulb followed another for weeks. Then the clay prevented ANY growth to n ext year.

So I put in raised walls and amended and planted more bulb s - the first tim e I had ever bought and planted bulbs.

Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Very pretty. The lilies are gorgeous, and so is the cat. OH, BTW, did the lilac bloom, do anything, died, or is it growing?? Multiple choice. Can't go wrong there.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi Jnette

One died and one is still going in a pot. Thank you for them.

The park sent someone around to c t down trees, and one fell on m y deck and crushed some pots!

well dang nabbit grr

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

It also crushed several boards in my deck.

Probably saved me a broken leg, because those boards have been getting weaker and more rotten every year. I put a foot through them a few times, but not YET broken an ankle.

Once I fell from that deck into an azalea when it was in bloom. Oh, well, it was a very crude form of pruning and it looks OK now. It very kindly did NOT stab me in the liver, though a big, sharp branch end stuck out at me after I rolled out, saying: "DON'T do that to me AGAIN, Buddy!"

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Well for heavens sake Rick. Did they fix the deck? What in the world were you drinking?

How long do you wait to repair stuff? When you do get a broken leg, or poked in the gut?

Since a hired person cut the tree, I would hope you get SOMETHING for the damage, rotten boards or not.

I have to agree with Jnette, you kinda need to address that!

My neighbor hired a goofball to cut some stuff, and he dropped some on my Elderberry bush. Sigh. Well it grows like a weed and I was thinking of pruning anyway. I couldn't see telling her, and trying to place 'value' on a volunteer bush.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I didn't expect to get much money, and was busy, and hat e harassing people just for doing their job (well, doing it clumsily in this case). I already had to tear it up and haul it away anyway, so they didn't cost me anything. They destroyed a neighbor's rose bush! And probably saved me from a procrastination-induced broken leg.

And they either moved most of my pots BEFORE dropping the tree, or cleaned up well and made it LOOK like they had protected most of my pots.

Darn! I should have called them and called it even in return for 2 yards of wood chips every year!

(The first day they started work, I asked if I c ould have their chips and he mumbled about the truck being big, and he only dumps 10 yards at a time. In other words, "Go away, boy, ya bother me."

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

You mean after that response you didn't tell him you expected your deck to be rebuilt and the hospital and dr. bills paid for. And then you would see if you could go to work the rest of your life. :0) Bet he would have given you all the chips you wanted and probably spread them for you too.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Too bad I asked for chips the very FIRST day they showed up, instead of after they dropped part of a tree on my deck!

Perhaps-not-coincidentally, they crunched my deck the last day they worked in the park. But he did leave a note with his phone number.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

So you can hire him to work on your deck he damaged? chuckl

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

No, it was implied that I could hound him for damages of some sort.

I lived in NJ for a long time, but didn't pick up all their habits.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.