What's Happening in YOUR neck of the woods?chat with friends

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Life Lesson ... Water the garden, and, the next day you will have a DELUGE accompanied by thunder and lightning !!
We started to get stormy weather around 7am, and, it's still on tap ..
Garden is HAPPY HAPPY :-)

Humidity has broken .. BUT .. 19 new forest fire starts up north :-(

Susan .. whatever your plans include, enjoy yourself !!

TTFN

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Afternoon, heard from my Jeff last night, enjoying the Rideau..today is a day of rest for them..and yes, Julie's arm is giving her the dickens so sure "M" you can sympathize

Send that rain on to us..noticed travelling through town the Municipal sign is lit, 'fire and water ban'
I went out this morning and watered all the hanging plants and planters..could do that 3 times a day..the one in the large frame, direct sun is all but cooked, the one in the back arbor 1/2 sun 1/2 shade is the same...been giving them a drink of Miracle Grow at least once a week (perhaps too often and it's killing them..)

But things like hostas and not sure the name of this one, are doing well

Susan you enjoy your time off camping and keeping busy helping everyone out..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

woo hoo......... 122F in Toronto on Thursday? Hope all you Ontario ladies keep cool however it is you do it!! (thinking - kiddie wading pools are going on sale really quickly?!?!?!)

Victoria Harbour, ON

My poor pretties are so thirsty and here we've a water band..might have to get up in the middle of the night and give them a drink..

That's HOT Susan.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I 'spect that's the Humidex. Still feels bloody hot.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Sure is...with Jeff travelling your neck of the woods Ann I'm hoping you have a light breeze and a bit cooler than I..following his blog, enjoying him telling me about all those locks on the Rideau..guess a few towns would be familiar to you..

Betty .. Jeff (and Julies) blog is a nice read .. interesting that's for sure .. glad they are having a 'day off', and, oh my YES I empathize to the MAX with Julie and her shoulder. Course, I'm a few years older than her and I think that arthritis is playing havoc with my rotator cuffs.

Lorna's parents told us about the expected temps for Thursday .. they will not be leaving King City and have their grocery shopping done .. even with the humidex that is SIZZZZZZZZZZZLING temps .. and I feel bad for the flower and plants as well as humans and animals .. this rain we were doused with today .. 0.2" ... was heaven sent for sure .. and we are expecting more later today .. thunder is rumbling in the distance ..

Tomorrow is my 'date' with Toyota .. will see what they have to offer me .. as i said, I am going for a 'seamless' transfer from my 2009 to a 2011 .. Gord always comments on my 'Polly Annaism' .. but .. as I age, I get less worried about making comments about fairness and transparency !!

I have to tell ya .. these shoulders have me down for the count .. the pain is 24/7 with no relief .. Aug.8 can't get here fast enough ..

Off to find the heating pad

Stay cool and safe

~M~

This message was edited Jul 20, 2011 4:37 PM

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Had a big although brief storm yesterday afternoon just as the guys arrived to prune my trees - one was actually up on the roof when the thunder and lightening started, he came down pretty quick! That passed off relatively soon and they got the willow trimmed and took down my sick chokecherry. But about 630 a 2nd storm came thru and that one was a dilly! No hail around my house but I guess some areas were hit pretty bad, lots of water, some of the roads and underpasses were flooded.

Well things sure cooled off!

Earlier in the day I was at LH doing a tour with a group of ladies from Saudi apparently here with husbands attending an oil conferance. Nice group.glad I got home before the storm hit or I would have been waiting it out. Another tour tomorrow.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Glad you are reading their blog, I find it interesting but then I'm his mom. Lol. On the side bar is his previous 2 years vacation kayaking..think it's a more relaxing trip this year...
Don't know why he doesn't ask his mom to join them??

Be nice 'M' for you to get that appt. And see what further can be done...must be overwhelming to wake up every day in pain.

Ohhh news bulletin, woman and family went down to waterfront and a tree fell on the mom, seems those trying to rock tree off of her might have done more damage...sure are breaking weather records

Got my hydro bill today, another icon telling me I've a credit again and am a Smarty..am sure I won't be next month because regardless the cost not doing without a/c

Glad Lorna's parents are staying in..news media saying for construction workers and other outdoor workers being told to stay home...for those in a/c, dress lightly

Carol, bet your LH uniform even though made of summer fabric must be hot..interesting , getting to meet and talk to so many who are seeking knowledge of something you love to talk about. Fulfilling I bet.

Lordy so many have drowned this past week in this region..will have to remind my boys to be cautious even though the are great swimmers!

Fredericton N B, Canada(Zone 4a)

Betty is that Crocasmia im you picture.What is the secret to get bloom?JOY

Victoria Harbour, ON

It is Joy, no trick, dug a hole and planted it near the pond, 3rd year..mostly sand..after seeing it open today and knowing an area nursery has some on sale, my thoughts is to purchase another 1 or 2...so need more red perennials

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Those Crocasmia are gorgeous! I found one called "Lady McKenzie" (so okay, they don't spell it correctly..... it's still beautiful!) I'm going to have to get some for my garden!!

Very pretty plant .. almost reminds me of a Maltese Cross with the colouring.

HUGE thunder boomer went through here a bit back .. lost power and Piper was just beside himself !! Looks like Toyota will again be a no go if we are to have another storm .. can't leave the dogs, but, can't take them either !!

Betty .. I was going to write on Jeff's blog today .. the pics of he and Julie in the hammock are priceless LoL

TTFN

~M~

I felt bad I had to cancel my meeting at the Toyota dealership, and, as the weather had calmed down, off I went.
Saturday morning I pic up my new 2011 Rav4 ... kind of an exciting day, trying to take it all in right now ..

The storm here last night blew the roof off our "International Airport" .. 18 vehicles were damaged .. what a mess ..
It was bad enough out this way, but talk about town is that the area around the airport suffered what is referred to as a 'down draft'/blow down .. I can't remember the name .. the power was out to 8,000 homes ..
We were sitting here thinking the TV would drown out the KABOOMS when our power went out !! Not for long though, and Piper and Lilly and Smokey got lots of extra lovin :-)
Today .. 32C with the humidex .. and a nice breeze, albeit a warmish one ..

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Lucky you "M", you'll have to take that beauty for a ride, let's say 'Victoria Harbour' little hop/skip/jump...indeed it is an exciting day for you.

Went out for lunch and before doing so looked at my ipad weather icon..warning out there, but I believe just for extreme heat...says it's 93 feeling like 115...wow..there was no air..not a lot of people at this mall but at Georgian mall you can't find a parking place...guess more to do for kids and parents and old ones alike need cool temps.

Glad you are ok but omg..not good for the airport is it.

Looking at the clock, almost time to leave so will chat after..

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

oh wow - you didn't mention it, so I suppose no one was hurt, Marilyn?

For the 2nd day in a row we lost our phone, internet and TV - bundled with Shaw. They had to do some emergency service and "re-build our network" They'd held off because they understood the park was closing, but then we had a total failure they said, so had to do the work anyway. And the park isn't closing anytime soon! Yesterday we lost service for 4 hours, and today for 2 hours. Kinda hard to receive info on jobs and interviews.........
Glad we're back on again...

Luckily no one was injured. That in itself is amazing as there was a fair amount of pedestrian traffic for flights departing at 9pm (storm occured at about 8:15pm)
18 vehicles sustained major damage though.

Glad you have your bundle back !!

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning everyone,

Just got in from watering all the gardens, my pretties needed it in order to survive another day...I on the other hand am not thrilled with the mosquito bites!!

Up early and at it, going to Peterborough for the nice, about 2 1/2 hour drive each way so will like leave at 6:30am

Was just thinking, inside housework all done so easy going this weekend, weekend, only have Saturday then it's a full day/evening at Collinwood Elvis festival am am looking forward to going.

Read through Jeff/Julie's blog and they are doing better than I expected in this heat..nice to see them enjoying.

How are you all managing, thinking snow a good alternative to this..

Susan, glad you are back up and running, don't you just feel lost without Internet?

Betty .. our meteorologists, and PSEUDO meteorologists, are telling us that the heat wave will break tomorrow .. now .. since their track record on reliablity is kind of tarnished, I'm going to 'believe it, when I see it (feel if)'
The Toyota dealership I am dealing with is undergoing renos at present, and, as a result .. they have NO air conditioning!! Thought I was going to keel over yesterday, luckily I had worn a light sundress, so I wasn;t too bad.
Back there this morning to tie up the loose ends, have tons of questions as well. Funny how you lay in bed and think up all these questions after the fact.

Hope everyone enjoys the day .. stay safe, and be happy ^_^

~M~

Was READING about the bombings and shootings in Oslo Norway .. horrifying .. 9/11 revisited for them.
I clicked a link to a local television station in Oslo .. DUH .. not even thinking the hosts would be speaking Norwegian !
However, the footage spoke for itself .. and .. I have heard the words 'Islamic Jihad' used in reference to the episodes ..
How long can these unjustices continue ?

On another note .. TBay is going to have an overnight temp of 11C .. YAHOO .. I have the dogs enclosure to cut ..
It'll have to wait til after 1030 as that's when I pick up my new vehicle .. wooo hooo ~~~

Take care all

~M~

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Not a very nice day here and a noisy thunder storm rolled thru this afternoon and rain for a while.Supposed to be a nice weekend- sure hope so as we have 'Ride Thru Time' at LH our annual summer 'event.

I went out to a couple of local nurseries this morning, looking for an Amur Cherry to replace the Schubert Chokecherry I had removed this week. They are available but pretty big, would have to pay to have it delivered so maybe will wait until spring when the stock comes in and is smaller.I would like to be able to transport and plant myself ( with a little volunteer help probably)

Anyway at the first place, roaming around, I came on their discount area and saw some lovely iron hanging container, 3 sizes, they were 50% off so I bought 2 of the midsize. The chains are rather long for any place I would hang in my yard so will have to get them shortened. But even hanging empty they are lovely - I like the rusty iron effect!

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Victoria Harbour, ON

Evening all, spent the day in Peterborough, lovely town, been decades since I visited and didn't remember it being so big...took back roads home, Friday afternoon traffic heavy on main routes so a leisurely ride home was nice..

Got to say driving through towns and farmland made me want to cry..grass is comp,eatery burnt and farmers fields show devastation, either burnt as well or stu Ted..we'llpay heavily at the stores for fresh veggies.. Did pick up3 dozen corn, some for me, Cathy and her family and Greg/Melanie..cooking some up now, I love cold corn so although I'm on my own there will be plenty for snacks.

"m" by now you are riding pretty in that new vehicle you bought..snazzy! Didn't watch the news today so will go listen to the news or do I want to??

Carol,love the planters, you know that my gardens have lots of rusted metal art, if you can't get the chains shortened please send them my way! Such a good price for trees right now though, pity you don't have so done who could pick it up and plant it for you.

Will take a ride to Home Depot tomorrow, last weekend for their garden center, will see what goodies they have left.

Hot here again, although a water ban I watered the planters..no rain in sight till mid week...going to the Elvis gospel breakfast in Collingwood Sunday morning..it's under a tent so all will be well but the afternoon events are outdoors and no shade..if we make it till evening it's inside arena so heat might not be a problem unless no air! If it's too hot can always leave.

Poor Sailor is not liking this weather nor are the kitties but got to say those Mosquitos are getting as large as humming birds!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Betty they have more!

That size was $25 sale price.

Was up a few times last night, and each time i checked the CNN webpage, the death toll in Oslo had risen.

Well .. our 'change of weather' was predicted right on the money .. just had Piper out and I could have worn a light jacket .. cloudy as well, and, smokey. For us it will be a welcome change, and chores put off because of the heat will now get done.

Betty, enjoy your Elvis day :-)

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all, just out in the gardens and although hot don't feel the stifling heat and humidity but then it was only 6:30am, still time to heat up to unbearable temps..

"M" I've decided just to do all day Sunday and not drive to Collingwood today but morning is young yet..feeling on the lazy side! Ohh you'll soon be out picking up your new wheels...exciting!

Carol, next weekend is Kempenfest and I'll be there before the sunrises as there is a gentleman who does metal art and is quite reasonable! Have about 3 of his pieces, especially love the big sunflower with the bee on it sooo will look what he has in the basket department

Better decide what I'll get into this morning otherwise it will be over and I'll not have a thing done.

Enjoy your day everyone!

Have just a couple of pics .. really do like the new SUV .. tons of room .. AND .. Westie approved :-)

#1 Lorna and I at the dealership this morning picking up the Rav.

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

The Rav .. haven't named it yet LoL

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

TONS of room !!!!

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

This years Hibiscus .. buy it in April, put it out in July and wait for the heat to do its job :-)
Beauty !!!

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Victoria Harbour, ON

She's a beauty " m"' does have a lot of room. Hibiscus must love heat and humidity.

Must be a day for new cars..Ann dropped in and showed me the new one she picked up yesterday I believe.

Tired tonight, Elvis festival is a full day tomorrow, leaving at 7am so off to get some rest!

Enjoy the festival Betty. Hope it isn't too warm.
It's actually 'chilly' here this morning .. 13C !!

Mowed the dog enclosure yesterday ... had left it for 5 days due to the extreme heat .. well .. not only did I have to mow, but also rake and bag !! Never again ..

Enjoy your Sunday !!

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all, although it's much cooler and feels like rain they are not calling for it until tomorrow and then several days of rain/thunderstorms!

"M" usually Cathy comes and cuts mine, called her Wednesday and asked her not to, thought leaving it long would stop it from burning, drats hope I don't have to rake and bag..if Ann finds the day too long and we come home later this afternoon I'll cut mine..is getting long

Talked to jeff yesterday, because of the delay at all the locks they will not make it to Ottawa, have to start back this morning..I offered to pick up his car in Kingston, drive to Ottawa, pick them io, have them drive me back to Kingston to pick up my vehicle...he says no because he feels it's just too much for me..emailed this morning, hope he takes me up on it!!

Enjoy your day!

So Betty, how'd things go vis a vis Elvis and Jeff ?
That was nice of you to offer to do that for them.

Was able to spend another nice day OUTSIDE .. mid 70s F .. a perfect summers day.
The dogs, and cat, are in heaven being able to stay outside for more than 15 minutes, and it's sure nice to have all the windows opened !!

Of course, we took the "Westie Wagon' on another short jaunt .. really am so liking all the space ..
Have read about a quarter of the Owners Manual .. I see there are some 'higher end models' that are keyless .. push button start etc .. kinda glad I haven't got one of those, looks a bit tricky.

The DayLilies have POPPED .. including a pic, and, wondering when the best time of year is to divide them, and Purple Iris ? Must see if there is a forum on Daves with some info .. the DayLilies have doubled in number and need transplanting badly.

Have been asleep since 10pm .. up now and likely will stay up and sleep sitting up ... bummmer !!

Ciao

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

M there are daylily and iris forums! I understand Iris are best split about 6 weeks after they finish flowering. Same with daylilies I guess although I think you could split them almost anytime! They are pretty hardy.

Ride Thru Time at LH on Sat went off nicely - it was cool in the morning and apparently rained a bit ( I was inside so did not notice) and pleasant in the afternoon. Pretty steady stream of people going thru the house. This year somebody came to their senses and provided armed chairs for the interpreters ( Last year I took in my stool!) We don't do tours, just are stationed thru out the house to answer questions.

Yesterday was a very nice day, not too hot. I dug up the perennials from around the area where I had the Shubert Chokecherry removed. They were large but not hard to dig although I have paid for it the rest of the day and last night with a lot of hip pain. Well I have acupuncture this morning so that should take care of it.

I was also on my knees clearing out the wood chips that were spread over the whole area, I want to use them again. Now I can get the Stump Grinder fellow in and clear that whole corner and then put the perennials back. Not sure if I will get the new tree in this year or wait until spring. Today I have to deal with the pile of debris!

And since I was on a roll I removed about 2/3 of the Honeysuckle vine over the gate arch- it was starting to look pretty tatty! It will grow back. But that leaves the whole side looking very open which it has not been for almost 20 years so it is rather strange and exposed!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning, or is it afternoon, yikes morning sure passed quickly..

Had a wonderful time at the Elvis Festival, must have, left 7am and didn't get back until near midnight, almost 17 hrs...lol

Ooooh wish you had all been with me, talk about a crowd going wild when Chilean Miner #12 - Pena came out and sang Elvis son...omg..still have shivers...

Loved the Gospel Breakfast I think the most..Ann and I were about the 10th person to enter the facility so had a seat right in front..lordy some of those Elvis's have been around since Elvis and great voices, but, sure did enjoy looking at those young ones..lol

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Chilean miner

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

"M" Jeff and Julie however much I said I'd love to do it, get to see some backroads did not take me up on it, so guess I've a free long weekend coming up, except for, Kempenfest on Barrie Bay, but that usually takes Saturday morning, don't like doing it when there are thousands in attendance..know which vendors that have what I want or think I want..lol

with Suzanne on holidays and Paul tentatively leaving on his Thursday I might transfer the calls to my home Wednesday, that way I get get some corners cleaned that normally I don't get to but once a year..don't panic, usually just my laundry room and under the stairwell which is a catchall..have one junk drawer, why do we have junkdrawers??? half of what is in it can be thrown out so it would be an excellent opportunity to do so...in a swap, had 12 christmas block to do by August, mailed out all but 5 so I could work on that as well.

Carol, sounds as though you are pleased with all the work you've had done and work you've done..know what you mean by being so open, had a tree which was about 20' tall that fell a few years ago which was hiding half the neighbors yard and bang..there I was seeing all..managed to plant several more trees, helping a bit but takes quite a few years. Do you not have a young neighbor with strong back who could help with riding yourself of the debris?? sounds like a heavy job you shouldn't undertake.

How many people Carol on most days would go through for the walk tour??? The area you are responsible to answer questions is concerning??

"M" got to hate those nights you can't sleep..is it due to the pain?
Beautiful daylillies..all my lillies I planted over the past few years have been eaten, drats, don't know what kills that new breed of lilly bug..sure are hungry suckers.

Rained heavily on my way home from Collingwood last night, this morning a bit of rain, I think it's a sunshine day, not as hot as last week but now being in the mall and no windows except side offices I'm not sure what it's doing.

Be nice come winer time, I'll not be worrying about the blizzard out there because I won't see what is happening..imagine, my talking about blizzards..

when I look at my gardens and almost finished blooming I know what's coming...

Victoria Harbour, ON

Drats jeff just posted the following..what he saw today...

julie and I just witnessed attempted suicide, guy drove off bridge we had just gone over, wouldn't get out as car sinking, people jumped in and heroic young guy from lock busted window with 2x4 and literally dragged out as last swoosh of water went in, very intense and very close call

This message was edited Jul 25, 2011 6:31 PM

Dundas,, ON(Zone 5b)

Well, Betty, hope you are coping all right with the sight you saw. It turned out OK, so that better anyway.

Woo-hoo! Got my first raspberries and blackberries off the vines on the weekend, and my first tomatoes (2) today. I have no idea what kind they are, tiny, yellow and light-bulb-shaped. They're tasty little gems though, quite fleshy.

I'd had a whole raft of partly used packets of heirloom tomatoes and didn't know what was good, so just started a few of several kinds and planted out the best of what came up.

Keep well all . . .
~m

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Betty things like that I prefer to do myself; however when I get the new tree I will be asking a couple of guys to come dig the hole! The garden really needs a clean up but I think I will call for my garden helper to at least do the front yard.

Normally at Lougheed House one of the Historical Interpreters ( our official title!) is on duty and we tour whoever wants thru the whole house. Sometimes it is 1 person, sometimes a large group although we try not to have moret han 10, gets a bit crowded. We dont have specific tour times as we never really know how many tours there might be, sometimes none, sometimes 2-3. I only do a 3 hour shift which is enough for 2 tours.

When we have events like last weekend where the house is open and free and there is a constant flow of people we are stationed in several of the main rooms- usually 2 of us on each floor - and we just answer questions or offer information if people look like they need it!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.