What's Happening in YOUR neck of the woods?chat with friends

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Has been pouring here since about 11am .. feel bad as this is the weekend for the "Thunder Bay Blues Festival'
http://www.tbayblues.ca/
Hopefully this will clear out for them .. it's an OUTSIDE venue by the lake shore.

Betty .. my Mom always 'raised' an eyebrow when I spent $$ frivolously .. at least what SHE thought as frivolous LoL
And, I am the same way with Murray (my son) altho, I have toned down a lot.
So .. are you busy reading concise and confusing instructions ?

Laundry day, house work day too .. mostly resting my shoulders .. furnace is on .. A/C was on yesterday .. go figger ?

TTFN

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Omg "M" took everything out of the box, different parts went from a to k so I made little tags so I'd know all supplies were included, each put under their respective alphabet..got instructions out..no instructions for the English language but for every language but English!!

Placed the sides as the picture said, piece of cake because it says entire project will take 90 minutes...got the drawer metal slides and 'j' pieces, 1/2 slider that is suppose to come apart doesn't so must be a trick to it?? Ok I want a dresser but not this badly...after 1/2 hr. Everything is in the box ready for return..nope, not sitting without instructions trying to figure out this project...surely there is somewhere you can find a little dresser that is put together!! I know, you told me as much lol

Sorry to hear it's raining..I got all inside/outside work done this morning and with all my weekend projects done I'm at a loss..want to get up and do something but here I sit...gorgeous outside so should go work some of the gardens! Make myself useful!!

I so loved "M" Beall street when I was in Memphis..favorite think listening to the blues, even bought a cd..

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Today was my day to make potato salad - 20 lbs of potatoes to cook, and 1 1/2 doz eggs lol
Took it to the church for the Stampede Lunch tomorrow (in the fridge there).
Then I washed down the washrooms preparatory to the Lunch, too.
Now it's time to get some home time for a few, then it's back to making posters for the decorating of the church hall.

Hope everyone's having a great weekend!
oh - Will & Kate were here on Friday, for the opening of the Stampede Parade friday am.

Betty .. I feel your angst re putting together the cabinet .. I think the days of 'ready made' are fading, unless you are dealing with a larger 'furniture type of business', in which case .. you are actually PAYING dearly for a unit already assembled, but, to me anyway, it's worth it !!
My level of frustration comes far too quickly these days.

That's a lotta tatters Susan .. did you make the salads with 'mashed' or 'cubed' potatoes .. either way they are bound to be good.
Have seen lots of footgae of kat and Will and the Stampede .. they both look wonderful in Stetsons!

Rained ALL day Saturday and today is to be humid with fog, maybe rain .. I got my usual 2 hours of sleep and will now just sit up and rest .. Lilly is tucked in tight beside me here on the Love Seat, sound asleep
Have to venture into the city early to go to the butchers, I was to have taken steaks out of the freezer last evening but, because of the bear sightings over the last 2 days, I decided not to meander out to the freezer in the garage.

TTFN

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

s'funny you should ask, ~M~.........
I always cook the taters cubed, but today my DH cut them while I peeled........ he cut them 1" thick, but then they were 3" long. Anyway, after they were cooked, he mashed them. I don't - usually they're so well cooked that when I stir they break up, and they're already 1" cubes..... I just don't mash 'em on purpose LOL Anyway, they got mashed siiiiiiiiiiigh. BUT I didn't put the celery in - just celery salt (to please him). He said his mother always put celery in, but I'm not his mother I keep telling him LOL

Victoria Harbour, ON

Terrible 'M" that you can't get more than a few hours rest at a time, you must be exhausted. Are they hunting the bear? Sure is close, I'd not be going outside for sure,

We've had the best of weather here this weekend, imagine your rain is heading our way..

Didn't realize until I started searching how much furniture really comes in boxes ready for assemble..if that's the way of the future then at least make instructions one can understand!

At a loss this weekend, was going to Sable Beach, that got cancelled, then had day planned yesterday, that changed..house is clean, gardens in good shape and here I sit trying to decide what I can do to keep myself busy! Just sitting is not for me. Lol

Susan, were you anywhere near Will and Kate? I put celery in my potato salad..I boil my potato's until they are almost cooked,let cool then dice

My Mom did the mashed potato salad thing .. and it was good .. she did use celery, green onion and some radish finely cut .. no egg though.
When I started making it, I decided to cube the potatoes and add hard boiled egg ..
To each his own, and, truth be told .. potato salad is ALWAYS a hit no matter how it's made. One of the local hospitals I worked in had a chef who made 'Hot German Potato Salad' .. now THAT was worth working the 4-12 shift for LoL

I have to admit Betty .. I do get tired .. and I have had to lay down a few times and make a deposit into my sleep bank !!
I could pay ANOTHER visit to a walk in clinic, but, have decided to just wait for my own doc and the Aug appt.

Supposedly have someone coming to look at my car today. I have become jaded as so many times I have waited and so many times I have been let down by 'NO shows'.
If it doesn't go this week I will have to decide whether to keep it or, to trade it in at the dealership.

Tea is brewing .. TTYL

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

I've had German potato salad and loved it..

I put green onions, radish, celery and top it with paprika..you are right about regardless what is in it it's yummy. You've both convinced me to make a potato salad today!! Best I do it before the heat of the day...

Went out and got the gardens watered, will try to clean up front gardens here and there..front deck linoleum must have been put away damp, bit of mold look to it..dropped a gallon od naves, let it soak 5 minutes and it didn't eat through the varathane, pleased about. That because I had painted it to match the chair cushions..

Came in for a coffee and a knife..although just sand under the back patio slabs it is amazing just how many weeds work through the crevices, shouldn't take long to get that cleaned up.

"M" sure hope your vehicle sells today..whT is maddening is their calls to.come then no shows.

After my experience with the dresser yesterday I looked at craigslist and there was one, had a mirror and was white, posted several days ago, had no response so imagine it was sold..looked nice and for $120.00 and great thing about it is I wouldn't have to put it together...

Glad you are able to sleep a few hours here and there..is your doctor on holidays? No fill in?

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

My potato salad - cut the potatoes into cubes, THEN cook. Cube hard boiled eggs, and add with sliced radishes and chopped green onions.
Add salt, pepper, paprika, and celery salt - stir vigorously. Add Hellman's Mayonaise, and still vigorously enough that some of the cooked potatoes break up (less breakage than mashing, so you see the cubes, but also have some crushed). Add yellow mustard and stir.
All the seasoning is "taste".

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all, weather is heavy this morning, hoping it means a day of rain seeing as hot weather is called for all week...

Hard to get used to starting at 8:30 ratherbthan nine, might have to go back do do regular schedule.

Susan, much the same ingredients..you must be tired!!

See that it's time to leave, chat later

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Rained all evening and night, hope it dries out enough to get the grass cut today!

Having a regular abdominal CT this morning so nothing to eat since last evening - supposed to drink 2-4 cups of water before. Get there at 1030 and have drink another litre or so of something special ( thank goodness no taste) over next 2 hours and then scan. Contrast too so IV in hand!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Yes, I'm tired - was a long day yesterday, the basement flooded when someone put paper towel down the toilet and it backed up the sewer. The City had to come by to clear it, and in the meantime we had no washrooms!

Carol - I hope your app't is over quickly so you can get back to regular eating. I realize it's a "regular" app't, so you're used to this, however, I hope the results continue to be good for you.

Victoria Harbour, ON

OMG, think the getting ready for tests are worse than the actual tests and/or diagnosis.. Hard when they make these test so late in the day and you are fasting...bet your tummy is growling.

Not raining here, very hot, might get a late afternoon shower and am hoping we do, everything so dry! Here I'm asking for rain and your saying enough is enough!

Jeepers Susan .. what a horrid thing to have happen!!! Sometimes you have to wonder at people ..

Carol .. hope 'that stuff' is tasteless .. was given 'tasteless' stuff once and it tasted like chlorine .. bleah .. guess I'd be way OK now as I have no sense of taste anymore .. I do miss it every so often .. specially when I have to fib when someone asks me how something tastes !!

It is H O T here .. I work a bit in the gardens, then come in and cool off .. no use to sit outside as it's 90+ with no breeze at all .. rain would be nice, but, none forecasted. All said and done .. no snow to shovel LoL

Best get back at it

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

yes, Betty - it sure doesn't look good when we have No Washrooms during one of the biggest events we have at the church. We wanted to show off our new washrooms, but ended up denying access while we used the wet vac!

Bob's off to an interview this am - hope he gets the job, at a decent wage!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Sending prayers and as an extra 'good luck' as well..sure hope he gets it..might turn out better for him...Lord has a plan you know!

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Carol, sorry I didn't catch you before you went as the special liquid they offer comes either chilled or room temp. With the big volume you have to drink it's best to have the room temp one cause you don't get chilled waiting for the scan. Bye now it's too late and you will be home soon so ....

Rain Rain go away. We have so much water it's standing everywhere! We had 60 mls in just over 24 hrs and the mosquitos are everywhere. You stir em up by just being there. I have just bought the Off Lantern as suggested by V Ann and it did help somewhat so will continue to use it.
Anyone looking for inexpensive composite type of pots ...London Drugs had them 50% off when I was in there on Saturday. It actually made them reasonable.

I am babying some Hosta's I started from seed that was gifted by V Ann and one is showing streaking . They are all small still but are growing and almost all came back after a Lonnnnnnng W____r. I didn't want to say it out loud.
Ann

Victoria Harbour, ON

lol don't blame you for not saying it, just last night I was thinking that shortly the 25th will be here and it will be all downhill from there, got a flyer from USA promoting xmas decorations..how do you like that!!!

Didn't know that about liquids taken at room temps..see, learn a lot.

Wow that must be difficult trying to grow hosta from seed..got to tell you hosta's have taken over the gardens, with the weather we had started in May it must have been prime..giant size, problem is they've shaded all my pretties and now they shall not bloom!

I'd love to send you my weather for a few days of rain!!! want to trade!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Well, Bob got to see the desk where he would sit, but they have other interviewees, and won't tell him until next week if he has the job. btw - they asked if he'd mind working "overtime" of 10 - 15 minutes......... he lauged and said 2-3 hours is overtime LOL

Victoria Harbour, ON

Praying he gets it Susan, you both deserve to have something good happen! Now why do they show people where they would work and get their hopes up, why not go through the process and if selected then show them?? can't figure that one out..is it in the same field ?

Ann, thanks for the rain...didn't take long to get here..now for your sun to arrive, look out the window perhaps you can go sunbathe..lol

Not sure if I mentioned I bought a dresser, no english version directions to put together, photo instructions useless...well I just returned to box to the new store JYSK and played the little old lady and I now have the floor model dresser in my car...beats the aggravation I would have had putting the pieces together..now if it will fit??? should have measured first right?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Well that is over with for awhile! Ate about 10pm last night then just water although I cheated and had about half a cup of unsweetened coffee when I got upIn the two hours before the test have to drink a total of about 2 litres -no taste thank goodness, getting up to pee every 10 minutes! Then more fluids IV with the contrast so still peeing after the test! Stopped at the Safeway ( to pee!) and got myself 2 hot chicken ldrumsticks, nice crispy crust and 4 giant do nuts- two apple fritters a honey dip and a jam filled. Have already eaten the chicken and two of the donuts! If I had not put them in the trunk I would probably have eaten them all on the way home!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

LOL Carol - there goes your diet!! (not that you need one, f'sure!) Sounds like something I would do - fast, then "pig out" LOL
When do you get the results?

Betty - Bob asked where he would be working - they didn't volunteer to show him the area. My Bob, as always, jumps the gun and thinks he has the job, cuz he's a good guy. He IS, but that doesn't mean anyone else knows that.......

Victoria Harbour, ON

Well let's hope this time Bob is right and they see he's just the one for the job?

Talk about humid...

Carol, did you eat all your goodies? Was the test just precautionary?

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Hi from Montreal. Here with a conference and there are a lot of ladies I know. Spent much of today trapsing around Old Montreal.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Ann, how wonderful you get to visit Montreal..am sure you've done the tourist many times over and get to tramp only the best of the best..been years since I've been..loved 'caves DES moines'. Likely no longer there...

Helps when you meet old friends...will you take in nightlife?

Always so much to catch up on :-)

Carol .. glad the scan is now over, the bladder side effect is sever a nice on to deal with.
I tend to agree with you re having put the 'goodies' in the trunk .. safer there than within easy reach LoL

Susan .. positive thoughts re your DH job interview .. gotta be stressful

ViAnn .. enjoy Montreal .. do hope you were able to enjoy some of the elegant patios or, as Betty says, some of the 'nightlife'.

AlbertaAnn .. feel bad re the mosquitoes, NOTHING can ruin time outside like them !!!

Another stellar day on the rise here today .. maybe get a bit more weeding done ..

Take care all

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning, another scorcher for sure..not record breaking but close to it..this morning it was heavy sky but then as I left, sunshine came out..coming home last night I couldn't believe it, from the a/c in the car and extreme heat outside all the windows were fogged up and I could see a thing.

Ann you sent but 20 raindrops, want to try again..need rain!

Wow, those mosquito's, guess because of rain and humidity are as big as a hummer, well perhaps not that big but sure are numerous and love my blood! Shouldn't water in the late afternoon, should give the ground time to cool but if I wait I'm covered in them..

"M" don't you overdo..does Lorna like weeding?

Paint me green and call me Gumby !!! I had thought this morning that we were headed for high temps and lotsa sun .. well .. the sun deked outta here about 8am, and if has remained cloudy and cool (22C) ... nice after the last few days .. got a bit more gardening done ...
Lorna is a weeder .. just finds it a bit more difficult now with her prosthetic limb, says she can't 'feel' if she is stepping on something she shouldn't be, so .. everyone helps out .. it gets done .. how perfect would a world WITHOUT weeds be !!! :-)

Haircut lined up for tomorrow, we're going back to swimming at one of the large city pools (at least that's the plan) .. we enjoyed it before, but then Lorna got caught up with being fitted for her prosthesis and we stopped going .. I think perhaps it might help my shoulders .. I definitely will try the whirlpool !!!

Off to get supper on the go ..

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Victoria Harbour, ON

Lol, I remember watching Gumby, must have been when my kids were little..was a hot one..don't you love the days you expect it to rain any minute and it doesn't..not waiting, will go water everything before skitters come out.

Didn't think of the not feeling what is underground, could be dangerous!

Bet a hot tub would do you the world of good!!

Carol, how are you feeling today?

ViolaAnn, when is your Montreal trip over? Bet you've had a wonderful time..wo dered how all your hosta's are doing, this year mine are about triple their size...must have been all the May rain

Better go out and water

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Betty I did eat all the goodies within about 2 hours of getting home! Sugar deprivation! If there had been any candy in the house I would have eaten that too.

The test is just a precautionary - I gather the oncologist will order tests like this on a fairly regular basis so if anything new comes up he will see it fairly quickly. I have another Thyroid ultrasound in August.

Feeling fine today - did go to bed early last evening! Had acupuncture this morning,( for the hip issue) 2nd session.
Had a relatively pain free day, don't know if that is co-incidental or the effect of the acupuncture. Hope the latter. Go again next week. $70/treatment but if it works it is worth it!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Can you tell how well I'm doing with tv bingo, sitting here playing on DG!

Glad the tests were precautionary!

I'll say like you, if you are pain free then the $70 is well spent..makes for an expensive month if you have to go monthly!

You should hide a box of candy just for those times you need extra sugar..

Went to the new office this morning, lordy, just downstairs where I take the elevator to the 2 nd floor is an old time country candy store, just what I need!! Looked in their store but forced myself to leave with nothing

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Betty I am going every week at the moment!

No way can I hide a box of candy - if there is candy in the house it is eaten - quickly - no self control there!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Same here..won't even buy sweets..but have to tell you I'm not eating a whole lot to account for the weight I've put on..thought with all the gardening and outside projects I would get done this summer than I'd shed a few pounds but not!

Didn't win at bingo...

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

lol Carol - you're just like me - can't hide candy/chocolates from me! Now baked goods.... that's another matter - I'll leave 'em for Bob. I'm a "cookie monster" when it comes to chocolate, or macadamia nut with white chocolate chips........... yummmmmmmmmy!

My downfall is BREAD .. couldn't thank you for sweets or chocolate, but sourdough bread .. LOOK OUT ...!!!

Took a couple of pics of the veg garden .. I can take NO credit for it at all .. it is totally Gord's thing and he does it well.
He has, tomatoes, potatoes, beets, carrots, beans, cabbage, peas, squash, lettuce onion etc ..

Looks like another night sitinng upright and sleeping :-(

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

In this one you can see the 'FLEECE Plant' far left .. and Elephant Ear Rhubarb, lower left ..

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

What a super veggie garden! Please pass on my accolades.
Well all aren't cravings something!!
We have certain cookies that don't last and the red licorice won't either.

Still overcast here and still lots of mosquitos.
Started to pick slugs on hosta's, they are very tiny but they are there. It's a hard job cause the Mosquitos chase you like crazy and it's hard to grab the little monkeys. Oh well anything for my little guys.
Alberta Ann

I will pass on your 'ATTA BOY' Ann ..

Re the slugs .. just read today that is you place cucumber peelings in an aluminum pie plat, and place the plate near the Hosta, the slugs go away .. something to do with a chemical reaction between the aluminum and the cucumber.

Stellar day .. 23C and MEGA sun .. got a haircut and love the style ^_^ A first for me !!!

Off to make supper

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Amazing Grace, sung by 4 tenors:
http://www.clarrissegill.com/videoclips/amazing_grace.php

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

On the train back to Ottawa - very civilized. More about our trip later as the laptop on my lap is getting uncomfortable. But the hi-speed on the train is a lot faster than what we had in the hotel which was so slow that it kept timing out.

Ann

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.