My name is Sidney and I am hopelessly addicted to coleus!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Here are a few of the planter boxes I have on my deck this summer.

Thumbnail by sugarweed

Here's another

Thumbnail by sugarweed

And another

Thumbnail by sugarweed

And a flat of new ones I got from Badseed.

Thumbnail by sugarweed

After a rain

Thumbnail by sugarweed

A tray my friend Betty brought me.

Thumbnail by sugarweed

Here's what Chele's plants looked like after the rain.

This message was edited Jun 26, 2011 4:34 PM

Thumbnail by sugarweed

Here's a very lush OSP I have this year.

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Jupiter, FL

Very nice ! I think just about everyone here in Florida is getting rain THANK GOD !
I need to out there and take some pictures :)

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Sidney, looking good!

somebody else's pots>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

Dale what is the light leaf in the above pot?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

It is Helichrysum petiolare 'Lemon' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/90267/

It usually dies in the rainy season.......

My new project out in Carrolwood is to make this house look good>

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Sidney....the day you stop your addiction, is the day the rest of us will all be sad gardeners....We count on you! :D

Hillsborough, NC

Dale ~ can't wait to see pics of what you do with your latest project. I'm sure it's going to be beautiful! The yard definitely needs some color :-)

Dale, I can hardly wait to see the showplace you create.
Mary, thanks for awhile I was wondering if anyone was even going to respond here. I was thinking maybe my planters weren't as pretty as I thought they were.
Most folks have gone to another site, but Happy, Pirl and a few others occasionally drop by.
I usually put everything in the ground, but this year I am overwintering on Taylor Creek, about 500 yards north of the Taylor Creek Lock on Lake Okeechobee.
Here they prefer all planting be done in pots. I chose a plain moss green pot from WM and they are mostly made in the USA. Lately they have brought in a few from China. I now check the bottom before I buy.
I also got 6 of these 'stone' colored deck rail pots from eBay. I may order another six if a friend will split the order with me.
We are getting a great long rain here right now and the fireworks ban has been lifted over at Palm Beach. I hope they lift it here too.
I may try to sell my Jacksonville house. The city cut down 2 of my big Live Oaks and my yard there is full sun now.
My love affair with Jacksonville is over.
Here is one of the big planters on the deck so it doesn't get tossed.

Thumbnail by sugarweed

Yipes! Cut them down? That's a shame!
I've kept all of mine in pots this year, none are in the ground. After the freezes, I had so much yard work to do (which still is not done) that I didn't want to make anything permanent just yet, so this year will be the year of the nomadic pots.

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Hey folks glad to see you are still around.
I have no coleus this year none notta.
I came to see yours glad you all are still at it.

Lavina

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

Sidney, Great looking babies you have. They do like south florida and all the rain you are getting, Now could you stop hogging all the rain we NEED some too! Love ya!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi Sidney, my name is dalethegardener and I am hopelessly addicted to sending photos of coleus to your threads....

This message was edited Jul 8, 2011 11:51 AM

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Speaking of rain, I have had almost 5 inches this morning and it looks like more is one the way.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

We really needed it - my newly planted peach trees were suffering, but, not anymore.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

It is almost 1pm and it is still raining. That means it is nap time....

Hi Lavina, Mary, Pheadra and dear sweet Dale.
I'm off to Keys in the AM.

I hope the weather holds off for you! I'm headed up to Flagler for the weekend....travel safely!

Stockholm, Sweden

Nice photos of coleus. They are so pretty, I think I like them :)))

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Hey Sugar Dale and Alice glad to see you all are around. So many have gone.
We need rain bad It has rained all around us a few times but missed us. It rained for 10 minutes Friday.
Sugar wish I could go to the keys or to Visit Alice. Bet its cooler where Alice is.

Hugs
Lavina

Here's the forecast for here in Okeechobee.
Monday, 92 | 72 °F T-storms
Chance of
Precipitation50%Tuesday, 92 | 74 °F T-storms
Chance of
Precipitation40%Wednesday, 94 | 74 °F Chance of T-storms
Chance of
Precipitation40%Thursday, 94 | 72 °F Chance of T-storms
Chance of
Precipitation40%Friday, 92 | 72 °F Chance of T-storms
Chance of
Precipitation40%

We get some of this rain and I water alot too.
We have Temperature 91.0° Feels Like 105° Humidity 63% outside right now.
I'm inside and going swimming shortly.

I can only do planters this year so I have around 40 pots or planters.

So good to hear from all of you.
Sidney

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Sidney you have ben addicted to Coleus for a long time now. LOL I was but the weather wont let me be around here. Now setting all new records every day for temp and no rain. 120 days for my yard.
All my beds are gone now and will be looking for cuttings soon as the weather breaks. LOL

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

When it rains here, it goes everywhere but in my garden.

It became so hot that I moved all the Heuchera and Coleus plants in containers. They were slowly bleaching or just not thriving. They went either to the east side of the house with only morning sun or in the garden beneath our large, tall oak tree with filtered light. Unfortunately the plants under the tree seem to be happy, but so do the bugs. They don't touch the irises, clematis or other perennials. They must be liking the sap as they have gone after the sweet potato vines as well. I think we now have cuttings of everything and plan to give them a fresh start. Here's hoping "Fishnet Stockings" takes off. I will post some more photos, but I know my gardens are not nearly as nice as yours.

With our cold spring, we tend to focus first on the blooming plants. Once they are done, we try to make the yard as inviting with foliage plants and late bloomers, like Dahlias.

Thumbnail by cathy166
Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Cathy166, what's the name of the coleus above this post? It has a good strong color that I love.

Dale, Do you grow all of these coleus or you have a great friend nearby?
If you grow these yourself, please share with us the best place to get plants, plugs or seeds. We would be forever greatful.

This message was edited Jul 31, 2011 4:11 PM

That coleus looks like Defience to me.
Sidney

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Of course that tag just said coleus. It is a lot like Defiance although the leaves are broader at the base, but it could also be Hotspot or Walter Turner.

I bought 3 plants last week that all had the same tag Twist and Twirl. One was Golden Twirl, but I've yet to identify the others. Never fear I'm still in love with them all.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Sidney, Getting any rain down on the lake?

Peg, The above photos were taken at a local wholesale grower. They have stock plants which provide their cuttings.

I saw this recently, at the Mall, it is Vinca>

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Not vinca vine as I know it. Dale, do you have your own nursery and greenhouse?

At least 3 of these were labeled Twist and Twirl. One of them is Golden Twirl.

Thumbnail by cathy166
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I think this may be my new favorite coleus. The camera picked up the pink, but I cannot see it unless I look really close.

Thumbnail by cathy166
Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Hey you all.
Glad to see all are well. I am not looking at Daves as much as I used to cause it annoys me to have to schroll(MSP) over since the format has been changed.
I still have no coleus this year, can you beleive that.
Maybe next year
hugs to all
Lavina

Mount Laurel, NJ

Cathy I have twist n twirl too, and it does indeed put out sports so that I have all three variations too, and they all came from my same twist n twirl. Interesting plant! I've seen the red sport labeled 'hot embers'. I have one like your dark purple one too. I purchased it as 'blusher'. It looks very similar but my pink is a little brighter. I have it in dense shade. Here is a picture of my 'alabama sunset' before it got eaten by the ground hog. I'm glad I have a picture at least! I actually caught a ground hog in my trap. There are more of them though since they ate more after I caught one. Fortunately they have not attacked the coleus in the front yard nor inside my little fenced patio area, so I still have a lot of coleus.

Thumbnail by coleuslover123
Mount Laurel, NJ

There are a lot of different kinds of vinca. One variety that is frequently used as a vine is 'periwinkle' with bluish/purple flowers and comes in a variated leaf (as well as a non variagated version). It is fairly invasive, but I don't mind as I have a big area I like it to cover.

Beware, beware
My sweet mother had a large area that was hard to mow so she planted Vinca/periwinkle.
It was fine the first 5 years and then It took over a whole acre.
The stem type can be great in companion planting, but the blue vine is straight from Hell!
Sidney

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Sidney,

The cure for vinca vine is round-up.....

Too sunny to see it well, but, it is cute>

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.