My name is Sidney and I am hopelessly addicted to coleus!

Mount Laurel, NJ

Well any fast growing, spreading plant in an UNWANTED place is certainly bad, but I love my vinca vine. I have a 30x 8 concrete porch that is about 2 ft high, and I grow vinca vine all around the base to soften the look. It's shady for most of the area and hard to grow some things. I like the vinca vine here. It's also nice to put into hanging baskets.

Thumbnail by coleuslover123
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

That is beautiful. I have never seen the variegated. I would only be able to use it in pots because here it gets very leggy and ugly.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

coleuslover, you have a perfect spot for vinca major! Pretty. I have vinca minor, vinca major (as in your pic), liriope, and winter creeper covering various ares in my mostly dryish shady yard. I find that if I do my Fall or early Spring maintainence by cutting off last season's growth that each stay put and look good.

Also, I have found that where a "ground cover" has "taken over" an area that it can be mowed with mower at low setting which seems to keep the plants {like english ivy} busy growing new leaves rather than spreading.

Do you trim your vinca back?

Mount Laurel, NJ

Yes, I trim the vinca frequently. Oh that's a good idea to mow the ivy. I think I'll try that. I have an area in back by the stream that is about 100 ft wide, and I'd like to keep the ivy down by the stream but not up by my grass. I want to grow hostas and other perennials up by the grassy side. Last year I was able to put some coleus in there, but this year the ground hog ate them all. It's very shady there.

Thumbnail by coleuslover123
Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

I love the coleus. They really add color which I love.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Sugar, how are you doing in the summer heat?

Some living things actually like this time of year. You will find no coleus here>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I am actually at Brinda's in Yukon, Ok. She said to tell everyone "Hi".
She has a great new pool and we are having a terrific time.
At 10PM it's 96º.
I have been to Santa Fe, Red River, and Taos, N.M.
Will be back in Fla next Sunday.
Sidneyy

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi Sidney,

My name is Dale and I am becoming hopelessly addicted to Philodendrons,

Showboat, looks like a cross between Zanadu and selloum>

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I have driven past this a hundred times and never noticed it until last week, go figure.

Here it is again from a different angle.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Here is another Philodendron. Has the same stem and size as P. selloum, but it's leaves are very different.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I have been researching, looking for a name, but, haven't found a photo that matches it exactly.

I might have to go over to the ID forum or Tropicals or.....

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Have you tried propagating the P's. I have been tempted several times to top mine and try propagating it.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Dale, have you checked out the Aroids forum?

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I know the Philodendrons that grow as house plants are very easy to propagate.
Those are quite pretty.
Sidney

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.