Lets see you plant racks & what you like/dislike

Port Elizabeth, South Africa(Zone 10a)

On another thread we were talking about pots and racks, and I thought it would be nice to see how everybody handles this! So I will start by showing a few of my options!

This is a galvinized steel rack - 11" deep, 60" high

I like this one for the hight and depth (fairly shallow), but I dislike it for the solid bases and being straight up, meaning bottom rack (s) can only really be used in the front part. Solid rackbase does protect plant direct underneath from getting excess runoff water from top, but it reduces airflow (may not be such a big issue)!

Thumbnail by Little_things

This one is also 60" high but half the width of the first, same depth. Like it for tight corners and to put like for like plants together - do not like plants underneath each other - need to be careful when watering.

This is a heavy duty plastic rack - lots of space - about 70", which may be a bit high. I like it for the seedlings but as can be seen the depth become a problem on the lower racks, light, so the plants are not that deep down there.

Well-known rack and the closest I will get to a hothouse!LOL It is covered at the moment - expecting rain, but it will not work here, steel is already rusted and well I am getting pretty anxious if I have to leave my lithops and mesembs in there for too long, because no ventilation, high humidity, rot!

Maybe I must just note that all my plants have to live outside or semi-protected.

This message was edited Jun 24, 2011 7:43 AM

This one is about 20" deep and 70" high and I put a plastic cover around the back and top for the ocean winds and rain. I recently added another smaller rack inside to give more space, but to allow bottom plants same sun. Works well, but still above each other.

Now this is my newest project - the racks go like a stepladder, removing issues with light (sun) and water from the top (somewhat). I know you get nice similar metal racks and wood, but I wanted it square still on top, because when I am finished the top (where I put pachys out of coming rain) will have a thick tunnel plastic cover, so not to allow rain and I will put a netting in front to roll up and down if it rains from the front angle, netting because it would keep most of the rain out and allow for ventilation. Its pink because that is a undercoat, will be white when finished and in addition it will also allow me to view my plants better when I stand in front of them. I put nice thick wood slats on there to be able to put any weight on it and also its about 11" deep per rack - so about 3 pots deep. I added another 2 slats at the top back, precisely for the reason of putting some big pots on top out of the rain, when needed - again to max. space, which is an issue, so always need to go vertical. My main garden is in front - ocean facing and does not allow for putting sensitive stuff - the aloes do well there - but the flowers not so much, when a storm comes through!

NOW LETS SEE YOURS!! It cannot be worse than mine, do not be shy! LOL

INSPIRATION PLEASE!

This message was edited Jun 24, 2011 8:14 AM

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Ah, interesting. Well, I have 2 short, 3-rack shelves I rescued from a friend's abandoned mini-greenhouse. The shelves are open construction, black-coated steel. I use them on my deck. I like that they are short, because I have them against the railing rather than the wall. Since they're short, they don't block the view over the deck railing.

Like you, I'm concerned with plants above draining on plants below them and causing damage. Right now I'm handling that by staggering them so the water doesn't drip directly on the plant body. It's not perfect, but it's mostly working.

Another thing I do on racks, benches, decks, and even one roof I have covered with pots: I post rugged plants on the front lines (the sun-facing, south- and west-facing perimeter) -- Crassula ovata, Trichocereus pachanoi. Their pots heat up, but the ones behind them are spared. In many cases, I double up the pots (especially the 8" clay flower pots I buy at the 99-cents-only store). I think 2 layers (plus the air in between) probably keep the root region much cooler.

Oh! that reminds me I need to move an Aloe ericetorum tomorrow... it looks like it's baking too much under the sun and we may hit the 90s tomorrow!

This message was edited Jun 23, 2011 11:20 PM

I would love to stagger, but I may stagger into the neighbours yard !! LOL!! That is the best idea for multi racks, you are right. 90's, whoo, not so common here, thank goodness. We had a 105 last year for 1 day - bad enough to stay in the memory banks.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

little things your name is perfect....! LOL

Love all those little ones.

Jan

Its the little things in life that makes it interesting! LOL!

C'mon, I want to see other racks - ideas, ideas!

Mission Viejo, CA(Zone 9b)

Here is the rack I just made. I thought I would have all kinds of space to collect more plants. LOL I gathered up all the stray plants all around the yard for my new rack. But look, the rack does not look empty or even needing more stuff!

Thumbnail by Ravens444

Thanks raven - nice rack - they do tend to "get full" fairly quickly!

Edit to note - You know what I love most about yours - all the various pots with plants - looks interesting and inviting - I want to go and look at them!

This message was edited Jun 24, 2011 5:14 PM

It is fun to make pots and glass fish/flamingos for them! Your welcome to visit anytime!

Thumbnail by Ravens444

Yeah! See you tomorrow - only 10000 miles! LOL! Thanks for the posting, as I said - love it!

Arlington, TX

I need a smaller version raven, love the overall look.

Yes, if I can find a place for it, this look would go with my deck and overall yard design -- painted or stained lumber.

I love how you just gathered "all the stray plants all around the yard". Sounds like me, and it reminds me of the First Rule of Greenhouse Construction :
• A new greenhouse is filled before it is built.

(No greenhouse for me yet.) ---DC in L.A.

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

Wow, those shelves look well used. I don't use hardly any shelving because of the layout of the patio where my plants live. The plant zone is around the edges of the patio, next to the walls. There's around 35-40 meters of linear space there so there's rarely a need for even a double-decker. Instead I use these little tables I make myself. So far I've made 15 of them.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero
Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

I like the design of this rack because the sun hits it from the right side, giving max exposure on top and good protection below.

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7b)

Mine are more decorative. But since you all have so many succulents, I hope you don't mind me posting some I got and what their needs are.

Thumbnail by curvesarein
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7b)

Here is my other rack in my AZ room. I have cats ,so have to be careful of too many plants.

Thumbnail by curvesarein
Arlington, TX

Like the tables, simple and attractive.

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

These are my favorite. They fit right under my bay window. They don't hold very big plants, but you can get quit a few smaller pots on them. The shelves stair step, so there is no worry of getting water run off on any of the plants. And they fold up for easy storage (like that is going to happen) LOL.

Thumbnail by smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

This one also folds up. There is very little room on the two outside bottom shelves.

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

I got this at a thrift store and put some paint on it. It is holding most of my E. Los Angeles plants.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I love the green one you got from the thrift store. That's a great find Gary!

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Nancy! I have this one, too. It is like yours Rian, only a clear plastic cover came with it. The shelves are not very sturdy. I put the heavy pots near the outside edge.

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

This is where I put my succulents during the winter months. It is too nice to put outside.

I noticed every ones plant rack looks full no matter the size. Just think if plant racks were free... how many plants would we have then?

"I see your racks are full. Congratulations! You have earned your next free, bonus rack. Just sign here and we'll deliver it tomorrow."

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I have plants scattered all over the place trying to stage the pots as part of the overall landscape. I do like this cart for some of my patio plants. This is a picture from last year as this year it's so full of plants you can't see the cart!! Besides matching my patio furniture, the cart is mobile so I can relocate it to sun / shade as needed. I even wheel it inside on the half dozen winter nights when we get frost.

Thumbnail by 48flash

Love the different racks. From simple to decorative! That inside one of smashed looks like a nice practical one.

Smashed if you closely at my rack with the plastic, I reinforced it with wood, I agree, they are not very strong.

Nice flash! & practical!

This message was edited Jun 25, 2011 7:15 AM

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

Yes, I see the wood now. I may have to do that. I like the last one you posted, too, LT. I like the way the shelves are smaller as they go up.
Flash, I like your rack. It would be nice to have to move plants in and out from under my porch. Love the painted lizzy, too.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thanks Smashed, it was actually a patio serving cart that I beefed up with a few added cross members. I have another cart that I have not assemble yet that is a cross between my cart and your indoor shelving unit. Its the same stainless construction as yours but about the size of my cart. It has 3 shelves and 4 wheels for easy movement. It,s actually a food service cart that I bought at Sam's Club. I need to find a place for it.
The painted lizzard is Lola; she drives the male skinks wild------

Flash you must bring Lola for a visit with Frederich - (the lead on a previous thread), I think some pottery will get smashed!!hahaha

Smashed - the wood addition led to 3x strength - I can load the rack now! The pink one (last) - racks are actually the same width (3x4"pots) but stepped, looks funny with square frame, but its about being able to cover the top so I can keep them dry.

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

My plants are feeling lonely. I have no racks. All plants go into the ground, or if they need to be potted for awhile, then they sit on the ground. Xuling

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

wow, all those little pots to take care of, since I've never grown any of those types plants, I'm thinking you don't have to water too often, as least I hope ya don't.....

Jan

Colton, CA(Zone 8b)

This is not exactly a plant rack but it is how I house a few of my shade loving plants. It is behind my work shop on the west side. Don

Thumbnail by Dlmcgrw

Nothing wrong with it Don - practical and efficient. What is in those hanging baskets that is hanging nearly to the ground above the rack?

I'll bet those trailing pots are Senecio radicans. I have it and I can scarcely figure out what to do with it, it trails so far out of the pot.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

That's a fine plant rack Don and a dynamite collection of plants

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.