CLOSED: Free Seeds for New Bees July 2011

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

This thread is for Newbie seed requests, information and questions.

"New Bee" means that you joined DG in the last year (or so)
and are a paying subscriber. (Not necessarily "new to gardening".)

For the cost of postage, we'll send you at least 10 packets of seeds in a bubble mailer. That's all there is to it, thanks to all those who share seeds with us.

To get your seeds, send whichever you prefer:

1. $3.00 by PayPal, and a private Dmail to me (RickCorey_WA) to get my PayPal ID and send me your address and Want list.

or

2. A First Class envelope with 5 or 6 First Class stamps, your printed address, and a Want list. (I'll supply the bubble mailer.) I am in the address exchange as RickCorey_WA, so you know where to send it.

or

3. A bubble envelope containing 4 or 5 first-class stamps, your printed address and a Want list.
(Even the empty mailer will cost you $1.71 to send, so this is the most expensive option.)

Be sure to send:
- - - your DG screen name,
- - - real name,
- - - return address,
- - - postage and
- - - a list of "Wants".

Don't post your address here in the public forum, send it by Dmail
or put it in the DG Address Exchange: http://davesgarden.com/address_exchange/
(You have to add your address to be able to see everyone else's.)

You can list specific or general Wants: vegetables, herbs, annual flowers, perennial flowers, re-seeders, vines, shrubs, trees, lilies, or particular plants.

Look down 2 posts: I typed a quick list of some things that we curently have multiple packets of.

I'll do my best to find suitable things if you mention your Zone or "cold hardy only".

We won't always have exactly what you ask for, but will try. The more specific you can be, the more lucky you might get ... and it also prompts us to try to add those to our Stash.

I should warn you that I often get behind and may not get your seeds to you for weeks: once I got months behind.

Everyone, new and old: if you would enjoy donating seeds for new members, that would be great! We can also trade (Dmail or post a list of your Wants).

It's fine to print or type your address on a plain piece of paper: I will glue-and-tape it to your return bubble mailer. If you send a bubble mailer, I'll use that to return your seeds. If you use tape to close the bubble mailer that you send to me, I'll do the same when I return it, so you can use it a third time.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
There is another "New Bee Seed" request thread over in the "Welcome Mat" forum:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1182272/

There is also a "New Bee" Chat Thread over in the "Garden Talk" forum:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1152857/

We came from here:
- - - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1160896/
- - - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1182370/

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

We need four stamps worth of postage ($1.71) to return a bubble mailer. The extra stamp goes into the "pot" for postage due. If you don't send a bubble mailer, we ask for an extra stamp to pay for the new mailer.

Please make sure to use enough stamps when you send to me.
An empty bubble mailer is now $1.71 (four stamps). That's why I urge a 44-cent First Class envelope.

If you are kindly sending seeds to share, it takes a fifth stamp if you go over 3 ounces.
Please let me know if I may add your name to labels for seeds that you donate.

First Class "Package" ... bubble mailer
1 ounce $1.71
2 ounces $1.71
3 ounces $1.71
4 ounces $1.88
5 ounces $2.05
6 ounces $2.22
7 ounces $2.39
8 ounces $2.56

Please feel free to Dmail me with questions, and don't hesitate to remind me if I'm slow.

Happy Gardening Everyone,
Rick Corey
(Helping Robin)

This message was edited Jun 29, 2011 6:50 PM

This message was edited Jul 27, 2011 10:29 PM

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

This is a great opportunity! Now just to pin it down to a few types of seeds I want... :)

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi Outlaw!

Here's a list of things we had multiples of, and I don't expect to be out of soon:

(P.S. Anyone (even an Old Bee) who sees something they like can have it for a trade & postage,
OR for a bunch of saved seed come fall.)

==============================================
new seeds from JonnaSudenius August 29, 2011:

French Marigold - Tagetes patula - “Jolly Jester” [A]
Creeping False Holly - - Jaltomata procumbens - [A] vegtable (make jelly)
Great Burdock - "Cardone" - - Arctium lappa - - - - Biennial Zones 3a-10b
Catmint “Cool Cat”- Nepeta subsessilis - [P] Zones 3a-7b *** mint: runners may be invasive
Delphinium elatum - - - - - - - purples - - [P] Zones 3a-8b
Bladder Campion - - Silene vulgaris - - -[P] Zones 3a-8b
Big Betony - - Stachys macrantha - - - - [P] Zones 4a-8b *** tolerates part shade & clay
Korean Mint - Agastache rugosa alabaster [P] Zones 4a-9b
Flowering Onion - - Allium aflatunense - [P] Zones 4a-9b
Heartleaf Oxeye - - Telekia speciosa - - [P] Zones 5a-8b
- Allium cyathophorum var. farreri - - - - - [P] Zones 5a-8b
- Amica montana - yellow medicinal herb [P] Zones 5a-8b
Nettle-Leaved Mullein - Verbascum chaixii [P] Zones 5a-9b
Peach-Leaved Bellflower - Campanula persicifolia [P] Zones 3a-7b

==============================================
Shasta Daisy Leucanthemum x superbum 'Amelia' 3'-4' tall
2'-3' spacingfull sun [P Zone 5a - 9b]

Formosan Lily Taiwanese Mountain Lily Zones 5a - 10a 2-8' tall
9-12" spacing sun to partial shade winter-sow seed

Dwarf Pomegranate Punica granatum 'Nana' [P Zones 7b - 11] Shrub 24"-48" tall
4' - 6' spacing full sun to part shade

Edible Hibiscus Abelmoschus manihot Glossy, edible foliage
tender perennial as Annual [TP Zone 8b-11]
sun-part shade don't let dry out 4'-6' tall, 2'-3' spacing

Red Trumpet Vine "Red Sunset" Cow-Itch Vine
20-30 foot long vine 12"-15" spacing [Zone 4-10 ]
MAY BE INVASIVE IN SOME REGIONS

Castor Bean Ricinus communis Family Euphorbiacea
tender perennial as Annual [TP Zone 9a-11] reseeds

Orange Coreopsis 'Calliopsis', 'Golden Tickseed' Coreopsis tinctoria
Family Asteraceae orange & bright yellow blooms mid summer & later
Annual 2' - 3' tall 9" - 12" spacing
direct sow after last frost self-sows freely

Morning Glory 'Heavenly Blue' 8'-10' tall 3"-6" spacing
sun to partial shade may be invasive

Moon Vine, MoonFlower Bush Annual or [Tender P Z 8-11] [LOTS]
needs warmth full sun 8'-10' vine 12-15" apart
from arejay MAY BE INVASIVE IN SOME REGIONS

Red Trumpet Vine "Red Sunset" Cow-Itch Vine
20-30 foot long vine 12"-15" spacing [Zone 4-10 ] [LOTS]
reseeds & runners MAY be invasive
from LazLo

Mexican Hats Perennial Z 3-10 short-lived P?
24"-36" tall Full Sun easy from seed
DS in Fall or divide rootball

Red False Yucca Hesperaloe funifera
New Mexico False Yucca [ P Zone 7 ]
3'-6' tall 2'-6' apart full sun
heat tolerant drought tolerant well drained soil
Evergreen Shrub, Cactus or Succulent
no spines, soft leaf non-patented

Ornamental Millet 'Purple Majesty' Pennisetum glaucum
Non-patented ornatmental grass dark purple/black
2'-5' tall 9-12" apart dramatic, unusual

Double Hollyhock "Peaches & Dreams"

Dinner Plate Hibiscus

Northern Sea Oats / Chasmanthium latifolium / Uniola latifolia / ornamental grass

Dianthus Mixed Colors Red-Pink-White-Purple

Light Pink Hollyhock

=========================
coming from Nancy NF2932:

lavender breadseed poppies / Papaver somniferum http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/238/

Yarrow / Sneezewort / Achillea Froelich, mostly pink

"Meadow Phlox" / "Wild Sweet William" / Phlox maculata 'Alpha' / Perennial Zone 3?

==================
from Heather (hmacdona from Calgary)

Clarkia elegans "Double Mix Clarkia" 18-24" tall rose, salmon, white, purple & crimson

Blue Licrorice (Agastache) tall Perennial

"Tidy Tips" / Layia platyglossa / Layia elegans (Family Asteraceae)
. . . Annual Wildflower Western USA
. . . Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured foliage, herbaceous, Silver/Gray
. . . drought tolerant, reseeds even in Zone 3

Nemesia, Annual, part shade
. . . aromatic blue blooms, glossy herbaceous chartreuse/yellow foliage
. . . Requires consistently moist soil. WS, Bag seedheads

Chilean Glory Flower / Glory Vine / Eccremocarpus scaber (Family: Bignoniaceae)
. . . Tender Perennial Zone 8a flowers first year from seed

Pulsatilla vulgaris / Pasque Flower / Anemone pulsatilla / Anemone serotina
. . . drought-tolerant Perennial Zone 4
. . . nodding purple blooms very early spring through summer
. . . deciduous foliage is deeply divided with soft silvery hairs
. . . WS, direct sow fall, stratify indoors?

Tricolor Daisy / Chrysanthemum carinatum / Ismelia carinata

Sunflower "Moonwalker"

Larkspur, "Rocket" Annual 24-36" tall

Cosmos "Bright Lights Blend" / Cosmos sulphureus, drought tolerant annual reseeds freely

===========

TREES:

Texas Sabal Palm "Texas Palmetto"
Sabal texana or Sabal mexicana
Palm Tree Cold Hardy to 16 - 18º F Zone 8a or 9b
tolerates wind, drought, salt, and most soil types.
20-50 feet high 15- 25' wide crown 8-32" trunk

Mexican Buckeye up to 10' Tall [Zone 7a-9b] full sun to part shade
6'-8' apart very drought tolerant
Ungnadia speciosa Family Sapindaceae
Pink, Rose/Mauve blooms Late Winter / Early Spring
deciduous shrub / tree
direct sow Fall or WS

Pink Mimosa Tree / Persian Silk Tree - Albizia julibrissin - Mimosa arborea
sun to part shade - acid pH 4.6-5.0 Zones 6-10 direct sow in fall
30'-40' tall - 10'-20' apart

Crepe Myrtle Lagerstroemia indica
12'-30' tall 8'-10' apart full sun pH 5.1 - 6.5 (acid)

Desert Willow, Desert Catalpa, Flowering Willow, Orchid of the Desert
6'-30' feet tall 6'-8' apart Zone 8a-9a

EDIBLES:

Snap Bean "Blue Lake" Bush

English Pea "Thomas Laxton" 60 days O.P. 2' - 3' tall bush 3" - 6" spacing
Lima Bean "Burpee's Bush" Fordhook Phaseolus lunatus

Snap Bean "White Half Runner" Phaseolus vulgaris
(String, Green or French Bean)

Runner Bean 'Painted Lady' Phaseolus coccineus 6'-10' tall
needs support edible ornamental
full sun (part shade) [A or TP Zone 9b] may come back from a tuber

==================

We have these coming in from OutlawHeart81:

Broccoli- early purple sprouting
endive- 'De Meaux'
dill-'delikat' annual
Swiss chard-'fordhook giant' & 'five color silverbeet'
fenugreek-annual
Sorghum-'sugar drip'
Okra-'burgundy'
Squash-'straightneck early yellow's
beans-'lima'- bush bean
Basil-'genovese'-annual

Corey

This message was edited Jun 30, 2011 11:43 AM

This message was edited Jun 30, 2011 7:07 PM

This message was edited Aug 3, 2011 12:34 PM

This message was edited Aug 10, 2011 11:33 AM

This message was edited Aug 29, 2011 11:52 PM

This message was edited Aug 30, 2011 8:20 PM

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Corey - if you weren't so busy telling bad lawyer jokes on other threads I bet you'd get those envelopes stuffed in no time. :P

A.

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

i didnt know there were any bad lawyer jokes.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

OW.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

LOL bad lawyer jokes?! I had a really cheesy pick up line/lawyer joke, but for the life of me I can't remember the punch line. Anyway. Since this is a seed thread for newbies it should be noted that morning glories and moon vines can be invasive.
Also, what if I wanted to send some seeds to share with others and get some seeds, could I send a bubble mailer with an SASE and the seeds inside?

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Outlaw

>> what if I wanted to send some seeds to share with others and get some seeds, could I send a bubble mailer with an SASE and the seeds inside?

Yes yes yes! Say what you want and send what you have. I'll split them up and label them if they are big packets. It would be great if you list the color & variety.

>> Since this is a seed thread for newbies it should be noted that morning glories and moon vines can be invasive.

True, totally. Also Trumpet Vines, I think. My intention has been to add that warning when I re-label, if any source says it, even DG Plant Guides, which tends tto be ultra-careful about "invasive", "poisonous" and "may irritate the skin or cause allergic reactions". The MG seeds are currently in commerical pkts from year-end-sales, and I was only going to re-label them if I split the comm. pkts in half.

Unsurprisingly, the commercial pkts do not mention "may be invasive".
Just like they never say "need stratification" or "need lots of attention".
And comm. seed pkts usually say "easy to start from seed", "high-yielding" and 'favorite".
"ALL the varieties are above-average."
Funny how they never say "don't buy this pkt if ..."

Some people who sent potentially invasive seeds said "not if you know how to handle them!"
And I think it varies from climate to climate, what is invasive where.
The warning is a good idea. I went back and added it to the entries above where it was missing.

I usually call a local "Master Gardener" help line and ask if XYZ is invasive in my region. So far, they've said "no". We always have frosts, and have a very dry summer, so some things that would be invasive elsewhere are easy to control here.

Corey

This message was edited Jun 30, 2011 11:41 AM

This message was edited Jun 30, 2011 11:44 AM

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I just found a DG forum for "Invasives":

Invasives: http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/invasives/all/

Corey

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Here is a list of seeds I'll be sharing. These were shared with me, so I'd like to share the wealth!

Broccoli- early purple sprouting
endive- 'De Meaux'
dill-'delikat' annual
Swiss chard-'fordhook giant' & 'five color silverbeet'
fenugreek-annual
Sorghum-'sugar drip'
Okra-'burgundy'
Squash-'straightneck early yellow's
beans-'lima'- bush bean
Basil-'genovese'-annual

These will be mailed to Ricky Corey for mailing out, so maybe he will add these to his inventory and he can package them as he sees fit.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

The vegies will help a lot - thanks! That section is looking thin except for bush beans.

I edited post #3 in this thread to add yours to the list:
Post #8662981

If I ever get caught up with pkts I owe people, and sorting splitting and labelling, I hope to add some kind of list to a permanent location like a "blog entry" or "journal". I just wish they supproted tablkes or at least tabs. And someone recntly told me that my "blog" was 'access denied' ...

but first priority is getting out the seeds I already owe people.

>> he can package them as he sees fit

If pkts are already labelled, I hand them along as is.

If there's a lot of something, I split it up into 2x3 ziplocks (cheapest, easy to reclose and we can see into it.)

I try to get up to 1/4 tsp of fairly small seeds, and up to 1/2 tsp of bigger seeds. With very big beans, I almost fill a 2x3 ziplock. I haven't had to split up any dust-like seed for the NBs yet. I would rather make several people happy about the quantity, than twice as many people dissapointed (or out of luck if their first sowing poops out.)

And I also think: "If someone has good luck with the first crop, and still some left-over seed, maybe they will do a second crop the next year ... and save a handfull of that for replenishing the Stash!" I think if one out of 50 pkts sent out comes back multiplied, we will have invented perpetual motion.

When I make labels, I try to add as much info as I can find (I'm a detail-oriented maniac) ... but sometimes I have to guess at variety. First I make sure that anything the grower wrote down, I copy.

I try to get onto the label:

name & variety
color
annual or perennial (so I know how to give them out)
hardiness zone for perennials (so I know who to give them to)
tree-vine-shrub-flower-edible-grass-succulent (so I know how to give them out)
inches tall and inches to space apart
special things like tolerates shade, drought, heat or cold
may be invasive

Please, if you grow something out and notice what an idiot I was to label it as I did, let me know!
My ignorance about plants is somewhere between extensive and all-inclusive.

Corey

This message was edited Jun 30, 2011 7:17 PM

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Corey - don't be so self-effacing.

You're doing a splendid job! At least it sounds like the ideas and label making and organizing has been taking up a lot of time and/or thought. I know your packets are almost stuffed full. Soon you'll have it down to a science.

I have LOTS of vegetable and herb seed that is a year or two old. I would like to pass them along - maybe that should be something you put on your label too - the "prepared for year". So many seeds remain viable for a long long time, but like you I think if people fail with a plant the first time they are less inclined to try again. The more seeds you have to give, the higher the germ. rate I would think.

If you want them let me know. I'll be glad to send them, but not so glad to list them out one by one because as I said, there are LOTS.

A.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Amanda,

It would be great to get more seeds! I would say we are shortest on vegetables right now, and have fair quantities of herbs but they are popular.

Let me mention, to you and everyone, that a PARTIAL commercial pkt is just fine. I'll peek to see if I should split it further, tape it, and ship it. If it is a few years old, I am inclined to send out a larger quantity.

(Territorial, and some other vendors, have a "pkt size" and a "big" size. It looks to me as if "big" is 400% the size, and costs 50% more. I started buying bigger pkts and trading the rest as soon as I discovered Hazzards seeds: wholesale prices and low shipping cost!)

My feeling is that, with most seeds, "3 years old" has only slightly reduced germination rate that can be made up for by thinning fewer seedlings. But people start to distrust seed around 3-4 years of age.

Thanks for reminding me about the "year" - I always put that on the label if I know it. Unfortunately, commerical pkts always list the year "packed for" and normal growers and traders record the date harvested (so commercial seed always SEEMS one year fresher than it really is).

>> Corey - don't be so self-effacing.

When it coms to people waiting a whole month for thier seeds, no, I do feel guilty. At least most of that delay is start-up learning curve, plus a busy time in the garden, plus more frequent visits than usual.

If you're referring to gardening ignorance: HAH! If there's a way to measure that, I think I could win many contests. At least when it comes to something like the New Bee Stash.

Have you ever heard of the Svalbord Global Seed Vault? I think they got that idea from Robin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svalbard_Global_Seed_Vault

Corey

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Oh! I should add that the seeds I'm sending some are older, just a few years, varies, but they came up fine for me!!! :)

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> the seeds I'm sending some are older, just a few years, varies

I decided when I reached 50 that that was plenty old for me, so I decided to age backwards for a while. I'm down to 41 now, and recomend this practice highly.

I know there are a FEW seed types, usually not vegies, that fade after the first year ... someone told me Delphiniums are like that.

But most - no problem! Plant a little more thickly, or thin fewer out.

Also, for fussy perennial seeds that usually benefit from stratification: some or many lose their germination inhibitions (dormancy) as they age, and after a few years you don't even need to stratify.

Corey

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Corey - familiar with the seed vault. My mother sent me a clipping or something years and years ago before they started to build.

I've worked at a wetland native plant nursery in MD and the NE Wildflower Society's Garden in the Woods in MA. You'd be amazed (or not) at how many entities actually exist now to store seeds, and for all kinds of reasons.

I will look through my seed stash (overflowed the old plastic toolbox I had forever and send you the things I can't/won't use myself. I will make you wait tho- shouldn't have sent Robyn all those stamps! now I am short myself. :D

I know that it's getting late in the season for some folks to start things by seed. Perhaps that could motivate you to send out their packets a little sooner. :P

A.

West Palm Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

If you haven't sent my package, Corey, I'd love some basil.

:P

thanks.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Dawn,

I see "or herb" in your list so there's almost certainly basil in it already. I'll make sure, or send two kinds. Did I mention I found some Bull's Blood Beets at Wal-Mart?

I have the cover crop seeds and thai peppers ready to split, but will need to dig more for the jalapenos.

Corey

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Wanted:
Hardy perennial flower seeds.
my garden is new so I'm working on shrubs, hydrangeas, and a lilac, and I'd like to add (but not sure what can be prpogated from seed, or would have seed readily available)

Hostas
Brunnera
Heucheras
Rudbeckia
Coreopsis
Columbine
Cone flower
Asters
Crane's bill
Shasta Daisy
painted daisy
balloon flower
clematis
Butterfly weed
Butterfly bush
Poppies
Foam flower
lady's mantle
Salvia

....just to name a few.... lol

As for veggies, herbs & fruits
I'd like
strawberry
Carrots
oregano
parsley
Beets
Zucchini
Watermelon

So there is quite a bit there to give you ideas for what I'd like, but I'm pretty easy, there is no preassure to get any specific color, or cultivar.

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Just wanted to mention, it is usually helpful, like you said, if we know the year intended, but found some 1998 seeds in a box I bought at an auction. They were for lemon cukes, so planted 3 seeds in a hill this spring, just to see if any would germinate, and all 3 did! LOL ! ! Sure hope they put on fruit now, but they will have to hurry and grow.... I'll save some seeds if they do. Might be something the newbies would like to play with!

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

That sounds great! I had a rough time getting my cukes started planted many Carolina hybrids packaged for this year and got...1
planted less Thai Mae and got 3, so we'll see how many cukes I get

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I needed some sugar baby watermelon seed and traded with someone on DG for them.

I am doing quickie germination on moist paper towels in plastic bags. After 1 week, only 2 of 12 germinated. They've gone to soil. Will keep an eye on the rest. They were prepared for 2008, and I only need one or two plants anyway. I thought I would test germ. extra in case they weren't viable..

A.

Corey:

Awesome; thanks!

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

OutlawHeart81,

I added that to my "NB Wants" list and that makes it easy to find thigs you'll like.

I have 4 pkts ready to go and many of the bulk seeds split into individual pkts.

Hopefully everyone wiating will be mailed within a week or two.

Corey
Mr. Slow

I just harvested a watermelon from my garden, and while eating, have been picking out the seeds. But how do I preserve them? I know I have to wash them, but then what?

....and also have some Jack-O-Lantern Pumpkin seeds. My daughter has already put them in an envelope, but what info do I put on it?

thanks.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

With most seeds, the three most important words are
"dry, dry, dry".

I would say the most useful info is:

- the exact variety if known, or what company the seeds came from and that company's exact name or order number ... all leading to whether they were OP or F1 hybrids.

(That's why I don't often save seeds from the supermarket or a fruit stand. Commercial growers often grow hybrid seed, and the market seldom tells you what exact variety.)

- year harvested

- your DG name!

- whether they were grown close to related melons that could have cross-polinated (I don't know how promiscuous watermelon flowers are)

- your growing experience: easy, vigorous or slow. Did they seem to need lots of water, or were they drought-tolerant. if you grew any in shade, did they mind? Are there any pests that you normally have lots of, that they were resistenat to or vulnerable to?

(Remember that, if you are trading your seeds to someone else, they may never have grown watermelon or pumpkin before.)

If I have the exact variety name, I will copy-paste from DG's Plant Files unless I know otherwise. Often the comments below a plants entry will give you a better idea that the plain text of the entry.

Corey

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Rick

I will be moving back to Calif on JUly 24. I will send all of my seeds to you for newbies. I will be living with my son and DIL in a mobilehome and no yard!! Darn!!

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> I will be living with my son and DIL in a mobilehome and no yard!! Darn!!

ARRGH! I'm really sorry to hear that! I hope you find another situation WITH grounds, and we can send you r seeds, or others, back to you!

- maybe grow in pots or tubs?
- start plants and give most away?
- donate plants to park managment in return for access to common beds?

Corey

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I'll check out your suggestions when I get to Ventura

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Is the roof of the trailer flat?! ;)

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Not really. But the park where my son has his mobile has many restrictions. The only reason they have the mobile is that his wife and her parents decided to get it over his objection. They can not even let the kid out in the very small yard to play as its not fenced in and they are not allowed to fence it in for safety.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Wow... That's kinda ridiculous. Sure you want to keep the park nice, but that's more like prison. They are getting stricter everywhere about mobile homes, they got such a terrible reputation along the way that here in my county you can't put up a trailer unless you are zone for one, meaning it's a park, or one is in existence on the property, so literally, it needs to be there till after the new one is added, or built. Stricter on modular too.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Awwww, Marti - that makes me only want to try harder to grow a wisteria that you can keep in a container!!! :)
(not having much luck with the buggers).

I am glad you have family to go to. I guess we hafta be thankful for what we've got. Most of my peeps are gone. I guess I'm all grown up now. I hope you stay with us on DG. Maybe they'll have plenty of space for houseplants! ;)

We'uns newbeees will be soooo thankful for all of your seeds! Mr.Corey may have to hire an assistant (or quit his day job).

Loveyou.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I plan to stay on DG. I found a community garden a few blocks from my son's place, so will get a space as soon as I get out there. The cost $75. for 6 months and that includes water, mulch and garden tools. I'lll teach my GS how to garden. Mostly I'll grow veggies for the house, but some annuals.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

That's super news! Glad for you Marti. I know it's a big change. Having the garden will be something old and familiar. You'll have to get a giant wheelbarrow for that kid to push back and forth.

Loveya girl. Can we help in any way with your move on 7/24?

A.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I've managed to save up some money for gas. And the loan company for my Jeep is going to redue the loan and give me $500.00 in cash, so I will have enough money for gas on the way out. Once I get settled and start the garden I will have to come and beg for some seeds. For now I am packing all the seeds I have for this newbie site. I have alot of flower seeds for everyone. I am keeping some of my hollyhock seeds and taking a few roses with me. I have several small roses still in pots so they will travel to Calif with me.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Make sure we have your new addy so we can send you care packages. :)

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

And be sure to wear a flower in your hair....wait, that's san Francisco. Lol

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I will be lliving with my son and DIL.
Address: 66 Beethoven
Ventura, CA 93003

Elkin, NC

Wow! Where to start. I am a new gardener (as of June) and have so many questions. I do want to get some seeds and I want perennials, maybe some shrubs or small trees too. I have no idea what to get though. Please see what I'm planning for my wife below and let me know what you think may go well.

Thanks!!!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1196684/

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.