Ugh! Now its dropping segments!

Phelan, CA(Zone 8b)

My Rhipsalis Elliptica, which I bought from a box store a couple of months ago, was SOAKING wet when I got it home. It was in a heavy mix. I was afraid of root rot developing. I posted about it, and followed you guys' advice about repotting it in a fast draining mix. I did, in cactus soil, perlite and orchid bark, about equal parts. Waited until I was sure it was dried out again before watering (maybe 2-3 weeks). Now, a few weeks later, I noticed its dropping segments. Its dropped about half a dozen in the last week. I'm rooting them all in water. The soil feels pretty damp, and its been at least 10 days to 2 weeks since I watered it. Here is a pic of the soil. Doesn't look like rot to me--don't see any brown spots at the base of the segments. What do you think?

Thumbnail by Seaecho
Phelan, CA(Zone 8b)

Here is a pic of the entire plant, so you know how it looks in general. Looks decent to me. Does it look like it might be in danger of losing more segments?

Thumbnail by Seaecho
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If the soil still feels wet now and it's been 10 days to 2 wks since it was last watered, that suggests that it got overly soaked back then and spent a lot of time with wet feet which could definitely cause some problems. If you made sure to put it in good-draining mix I'm not sure why it would be holding onto water like that...does your pot have drainage holes? How about a saucer attached to the bottom to catch water? If it's missing drainage holes or if it's got a saucer and you're not emptying it right away after watering that can keep the soil overly wet.

Phelan, CA(Zone 8b)

Yep, has drainage holes. And I empty the saucer right after watering, before I rehang it. I sure don't want to lose this plant. I let my plants get fairly dry between waterings, and then I give them a really good soaking. Maybe I'm soaking the soil too much? I have always heard that's the way to water instead of just giving the plant a little bit of water.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It is the way to water if your soil drains well enough. Given what you used in your mix it doesn't seem like it ought to be holding on to water the way it is, but for some reason it is. You might check out some of the soil recipes in the sticky threads in the container gardening forum--with those they drain well enough that you shouldn't have any problems like this.

Phelan, CA(Zone 8b)

I keep hearing Pro Mix is the best, but can't find it for sale anywhere. I received plants from Zone 9 who use it, and its great! Anyone else have good luck with it? I might order it online if I can find it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.