Preen and house plants ?

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Seems like I am always behind pulling out all the grass and weeds out from house plant pots. How about using Preen? I'm, of course, thinking plants that do not sucker or put out off shoots. My understanding was that Preen prevents seed germination, yes?

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9b)

Yes, Preen does prevent seed germination. I don't think it would harm suckers or off shoots. Though I don't know for certain.The organic (don't know if OMRI certified) Preen is just corn gluten meal.

Hope this helps, David.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

I have out it in one pot. Will keep an eye on it and maybe try more pots later.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Preen (regular version or organic version) won't hurt plants, suckers, etc--all it does is prevent seed germination. If you're going to use it in containers though make sure you read the instructions on amount to apply per square ft/etc...in a garden bed I don't think there's much chance that you'd apply too much, but in a pot that would be a bigger concern. I'm not sure if accidentally using a huge excess of it (especially the non-organic Preen) might have some negative effects.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Good point.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Seems to be working well with no harm to the plant. I've started applying more Preen in more pots. Esepcially in the Cactus and Succulents where pulling out every last weed/grass is difficult.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

gasrocks, is everything still OK with your pots treated with Preen? I'm interested in trying myself.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Yes, plant seems fine. I have added Preen to a few dozen house plant pots so far.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the update.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.