June 2011- Heat, Sunshine and Rain

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Happ, was it your b'day? I didn't see it anywhere!

Happy Belated Birthday!
I'm sorry I missed it :o(
Ah, I missed a couple days there. No wonder!

It is hard to line things up. I can't wait to see it! I'm so floored that you will be the one putting it up! I can barely use a screwdriver and pliers, LOL!

Birder, I remember watching Purple Martins when I was a kid. Then they stopped coming, or else no one put up any more houses for them. Dad has two, but the sparrows and blackbirds took over. Maybe that's the problem.

I didn't know allysum was fragrant.

I've been working out too while it's nice. The humidity will rise now, so I'll have to keep to the shade.

The 4th. Absolutely nothing.

Crit, July is our hot month so we are on schedule. The cool dry air sure was welcome. We just have too many mosquitos and I suppose the biting flies will be back too :o(

I think Conca d'or is pretty. It's nice to see a few light colors if the smell is heavy!

Will, you need to find the one mistaking them. It could mean your job. I'll bet it isn't you, but I don't know how you can prove it.

No water sure means a lot of things. The bathroom is one I never thought about.

Laughing, I was thinking about your truck last night and your honesty. It will work out for the best in the end, and bottom dollar is what it's all about. It will save you from having to license it or park it.
That's a nice dainty bloom!

Pepper, thanks, I don't feel so bad now over Happs B'day, LOL!

When DD was little we ran to Missouri for fireworks. My all time favorite was a little hen that ''laid'' about four colored eggs. It was adorable!

I have a ton of pictures downloaded that need to go into folders and also on the external drive.

Crit, the weather turned hot just as I need to move plants :o(

Oh dear, it's 7:45 already.

Have a great day all!

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Awh you all don't worry about my birthday, I sure didn't. In fact I celebrated with some friends last night. We still exchange gifts, went out to dinner and just had a nice time. I got two great picture frames that have a garden theme on them and then 4 cereal bowls and 4 coffee mugs with kellogs logo on them. My kitchen is a mix of advertisements and some antique stuff, so they were great gifts. Oh yeah and she game me 2 ee's I didn't have! Then the other present was a concrete turtle and she had gotten from a craft show so it was made in America, the back is mosiac it is really cool! Love it.

Boy the humidity is a killer! wowzer. I am taking off for a day of vacation and I will still have to get up at 4am to beat the heat to work in the yard....

Crit I have planted lilies in pots and even over wintered them that way. It worked good until last year when a mouse got hungry during the winter and ate every bulb I had in a pot!!! Least I am guessing it was a mouse. None in the yard have ever been bothered, but the potted lilies were in the "fort", I thought being protected from the weather, just not from the mice. That was the only thing they ate. Very disappointed when I figured it out.

I have trumpet lilies and the smell is amazing! The good or bad thing about trumpets is that they spead on their own, but the smell is amazing! If you have a costco close to you (not sure where Jackson, MO is) they sell lilies in big bags in the early spring.

Stay cool everyone.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

I don't think it could mean my job, but who knows what they're thinking. Overall, I think they are okay with my punctuality and work and everything, I'm not a jerk or anything there.
I have to chime in on Jackson's whereabouts! It's going toward Memphis, TN. and the bootheel of MO. on Interstate 55 South of St. Louis. I used to travel down I-55 to Portageville, MO. to visit a friend and Jackson is a nice little city almost there, I had to stop there for gas several times. I remember seeing the big ol' water tower there that says Jackson Bulldogs or Indians or something.
Shorter, it's not far from Cape Girardeau I don't think.
Pepper lives by the Fireworks capitol of the world! I kid my friend that he does! Fireworks World is like a mile away from his house! Good idea, I might do that, thanks Pepper.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, billyp. I don't think it's me either but thats because I'm the one that has the finger pointing at them! Seriously tho, I don't think they are upset about the way things are right now. But, this is keeping things from looking more perfect, which is best for a new hire! I think what it might be is the guy that helps me is going too fast. If he didn't help me tho, I would've already quit, I told him that. Hehe.. on second thought, the toilet doesn't require clean water, but it sounds funnier! I'm all about humor! I'm gonna tell him yet tho, that he needs to be stocking up on drinking water and whatnot.
Will

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

My friend from Okla. lives in Enid. It's really hot there right now. Wheat country. They had a poor crop this year due to drought. I grew up on a farm near Enid. We used to live in Enid, then to Tahlequah, OK. Tahlequah and Tulsa are "greener" than Enid. We almost settled in Jenks.

The HS are an absolute pain. We have had our share of grief with them. We put a "dummy box" near the PM houses and set a trap in it. We have trapped 3 pair (6 total) this year. Last week I saw one on the dummy box and saw one today. After catching 6 HS, my husb. just closed the dummy box. He would bring the PM house down via a pulley, and take out the HS nest. They finally gave up. You have to really be persistent and watchful. But, I have to tell you, the PM are sooo rewarding. They entertain us daily. We sit in our lawn chairs and watch them do their skillful flying and try to count how many we have! They move around so fast, they're hard to count. We "think" we have 20. I am having trouble with Japanese Beetles and Chiggers right now, and I am looking for something that won't kill off the beneficial insects and kill off our birds.

Love the allysum. I hadn't used it much the past couple of years. It is growing out in the heat, sun, and pretty dry and just blooming. I also have it in bright shade near our front door--blooms constantly. I have it amongst NG Impatience. It looks frilly and delicate, but it isn't, and you get the fragrance as a bonus.

Hey, happ--you rec'd some nice gifts. Friends are great.

I guess if one wants to over winter lilies in a pot one must put chicken wire over the top of it. I may try to do this. I never seem to get in on those co-ops. :(

Shorleaf: You nailed my town! Yes, we're about 10 minutes from Cape Girardeau. The Mississippi River is Cape's eastern border. So, we're about 15 miles from the Mississippi. River. We're 2 hours almost straight south of St L. -- right down I 55. The water tank reads: Jackson Indians.

This message was edited Jul 1, 2011 7:07 PM

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Birder, also try Mona Lisa. It's a dwarf but the fragrance is outstanding!!! I have one called Statement but I can't find it anywhere anymore. Just as well. I had 3 and am down to 2. It's not multplying either. But it has huge red blooms and the fragrance just is huge!! I get most of my lilies from www.farawayflowers.com. Great bulbs and great service.

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

billy, usually July and August are our hot months. We had the 2nd hottest June in history (since they started keeping track over 100 years ago). We usually don't have triple diget heat until after June. Our hottest summer had 11 triple diget days (but tons of 99's!). We have already had 5 and 6 more forecast just this week. It is miserable! Broke 102* high Tuesday with 106*. They are comparing western OK with the dust bowl of the 1930's. They are in extreme drought, which is the highest level.

Alyssum has a very light sweet fragrence. I love the smell of it.

happ, I am taking Tuesday off for a 4 day weekend. I will need to start working in the yard at midnight (maybe a slight exageration) then quite when the sun comes up and it gets hot. 102-103* with this humidity is just a killer!

I use to live in Dora, MO (off of Hwy 60 I think it is) near West Plains in Eastern MO.

birdie .... I have a "DG" friend that lives in enid.

I saw the oddest bug on one of my brugs the other day, but didn't have my camera. It was about the size of a ladybug, but it was GOLD. It was the prettiest little thing, I've never seen anything like it.

TGIF! Have a great day everyone, and a long weekend! Be safe this holiday.

If anyone hears of any bulb co-ops, please share with the rest of us!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I don't know about this time of the year, but towards fall, there will be thousands of very tiny bees around Alyssum.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Crit: I have seen a DG who's from Enid. I know where West Plains is located. We go near there on 60 when we would return to Enid. My brother was telling me of a Mule Jumping Contest in West Plains over Father's Day. It sounded interesting and entertaining.

Pepper: I checked out the Faraway Flowers site. I couldn't get there from here, so I googled it. I did not recognize some of the catgories. I know there's Asiatic Lilies, Oriental Lilies, and Trumpet Lilies. I also have one that for the life of me, I can not remember what it is. It is suppose to get really tall (5 ft), fragrant and wants full shade. I don't know what "Bergman" is and some of the other categories. I am going to scoot over to the Lily Forum and see what I can learn.

Mona Lisa looks gorgeous. I noted it is hardy to minus 35 or some such. So, would that mean one could leave it out on the deck in a pot if temps don't dip below 0*?

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Cool! I thought I remembered you're town, Jackson, MO., birder! I bet you meant the Mississippi River is to you're East, the Missouri River empties into the Mighty Mississippi River at St. Louis. The Mississippi is a sight to behold, I see why Tom Sawyer loved it! I went to the Mississippi River several times when I'd go that way, neat river, very wide, about like the Missouri River is now!

How about this Echinacea purpurea, (Purple Coneflower), coming from what I thought was a weed before!

This message was edited Jul 1, 2011 6:02 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

She used to have Orientals on there but I noticed she doesn't right now. I think the Martagons are similar to tiger lilies but I don't know. lol. I just know I've gotten some good lilies from her. Her stock changes all the time so you have to check back every now and then.

Here is another site. I went to Garden Watchdog and this one has good reviews. I like the look of the site too.
www.thelilygarden.com

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Wups! You are right, Shortleaf. I meant Mississippi River. It's leaking around the bottom corners of the flood wall. We have so much water. I corrected the original post.
There wasn't any information on the Lily forum. A lot of the forums have info at the beginning with "sticky" on it but nothing on the lily forum. I will check out the other website.
I get rid of coneflowers on a regular basis. I do like them, but man, they re-seed quite a bit. They seem to take care of themselves.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I made new July 2011 Dry and Hot! forum go there:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1193888/

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

I'm there !!!!!!! ^_^

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.