June 2011- Heat, Sunshine and Rain

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

The babies look nice and healthy!!!

We got rain today! Whooo!!! No watering to be done for a couple days. Now I can get my tent set up and air mattress aired up tomorrow too. I hope anyways! lol

My canna and 'Golden Attraction' butterfly bush.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

pepper, that is a lovely bf bush. I've never seen that color or seen that plant for sale.

Blooming today unnamed daylily and Brunella Lily.

This is the daylily:

Thumbnail by Crit

Brunella:

Thumbnail by Crit
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1181763/#new

Will, yep, Dear Daughter.

You'll get used to the job :o)

That's why I never planted in mine. I didn't want holes in the bottm. It didn't seem right, LOL! I keep junk in it in the garage.
Happ, I can't imagine it either, but I'm going to find out!

Pepper, LOL! Here I am hoping it doesn't rain because we are too wet!

I hope all goes well with the floating and the camping!

Oooh! Nice combo!

Crit, I have a lot of no ID daylilies too. I have two books and still can't name them :o(

I have a similar one I call Brick Red. It's not all that pretty, but I think it's an old one and it's from a friend.

Brunella is very pretty!

We're supposed to get rain. The humidity is up and it's cloudy. RATS!!

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

HAPPY dance, or should I say HAPP dance we finally got rain yesterday, last night, and I hope this morning......Katie bar the door though, if the sun comes out we will be smoking in humidity! wowzer!
I have not had the rain you to the south or north of me have been getting. We hadn't had rain in a long time, so I am glad. I had huge cracks in the ground. I can now pull some weeds, plant some flowers, not water, and dig up some flowers and finishing edging. The ground was so hard I couldn't get the shovel in! DH was hoping for a drought because he hates mowing...rofl.

Are the twin’s home yet? Grandma is gonna be very busy.... ;)

Pretty blooms Crit. I have lots of noid daylilies. A friend of mine gave me a bunch from a friend of hers that was a hybridizer. When my friend got them they were all named and tagged. My friend took the daylilies, threw the tags away and then clumped them all in one little bed next to the sidewalk! LOL. She asked me a few years ago if I wanted some and I jumped at the chance, I love the blooms and I am outlining most of my gardens with them to keep from having to edge, sides I am not particular if they are named or not. Doesn't change how pretty they are.

My daylilies are just started popping open, some still don't even have scapes yet.....hope this rain helps.

I think idling a noid daylily is impossible, there are soooo many varieties and some of the differences are so suttle that you would have to be a scholar in daylilies to tell the difference. There is a daylily place not far from where I live and he took us to his "small" daylily garden and was showing us the difference between two daylilies that to me at first looked exactly the same. I would have never known they were different. I have lots of noid's...LOL I am trying harder to tag the new ones I get, but I am beginning to believe as long as I have DH and animals it might be a losing battle.

This is one I got in a swap last year.
Radiation Biohazard.....got to love the names of these things. Course it kind of looks like one of those signs....

Thumbnail by happgarden

Love that daylily Happ!! Especially the name. LOL.

We got the rain too. Happy dance here since I dont' have to water for a couple days!! Give me rain anytime!! LOL

Crit, my bb is similar to Honeycomb bb, which is much more common.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Aww, love the Happ dance! We are cool and humid now. That's almost as bad.

Well, I'm glad DH doesn't get his way with a drought :o)

They did get home and we're going out today to see them. They'll have clothes on now!

Threw the tags. Too bad it wasn't in a drawer. Now we are going to HAVE to see pictures of them!!

Daylilies love rain. I never knew their roots absorbed it like a camel's hump. I make sure the older varieties, especially, don't get too dry.

It's hard sometimes, but I can find differences in blooms. I do have trouble identifying tho.

Oooh, that's prettier than Frans Hall which is also red and yellow. I like this one! The name does say it all.

Pepper, I love love love Phlox! My Frans Shubert puts out beautiful pink seedlings!

I have the old time purple garden phlox. I don't think they are the muddy seedlings, but if they are, I still like them. These don't seem to reseed. The clumps just get bigger. I wish they would. I'd like to see what I get.

I finally got a good picture of the Mock Orange. This is Innocence.

Thumbnail by billyporter

Oh happ..... I LOVE that daylily! If you ever thin it, can I get a start!

I've only seen the redish, bluish and blackish bb's. Never a golden color. Love it!

bp ... I didn't know that about the daylilies. That is interesting!

We had a light pink one at work this year also. It was called 'Pink Delight'. Very subtle and pretty. I've also seen white ones. In fact my grandma has a white one.

Pink delight: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/49901/

White Profusion: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/94259/

Honeycomb, the more common yellow one: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/51666/

Golden Glow, the one I have. I checked the tag and got the right name: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/125132/

There is a sale at the other place for postage. If anyone is interested, dmail me and I will give you the URL

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

babies are so sweet.

Great plants pics everyone.

Jan

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Crit, I thought it was intersting too. Especially after a few dry years and them losing leaves. I never let them get too dry now. The more water the bigger the flowers too. At least full size like they're supposed to be. Not supersized, LOL!

Pepper, Pink Delight is very pretty! I like the white too! I love the last two, but don't think they do well in zone 5a. I'm a bit cold for them. I sure love them tho!

Jan, they sure are. One thing I missed tho is them smelling like Johnson's Baby Lotion. The pink stuff :o)

More pics. They've already filled out a little more.

This wasn't easy, LOL!

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

This was better!

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

The closer the camera is to her the bigger she looks. She's a bit bigger, but does have a larger head :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

Wish I would of seen the pic of the garden phlox before now, I think I dug some up it today thinking it was a weed. Dang that is the pits. I know I have dug up more hardy geranium than I can count on 2 hands......I don't buy it anymore because of that.

It was HOT and HUMID yesterday....wow I did get a few things planted, moved around, and cleaned on. I have to mow today or bale one of the other.

Crit I will keep you in mind on the biohazard. I got it in a swap last year and couldn't figure out where to put it so it is still in the pot. Think I will put it right out where I can see it when I come out the front door.

Billy how were those little ones?

Editted to say I wrote this last night and didn't post until today, so Billy sorry I missed the pics until just now...rofl.

This message was edited Jun 19, 2011 8:02 AM

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Happ, that is a bummer! I hope it's mow. Baling is hard work, LOL!

They are doing so well and have filled out some already. They were real good for us yesterday! I can't wait to hold them again. I still didn't get enough pictures!

Have a great day everyone. I have to get busy!

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Awww.. Sally is a doting Grandma! Well, I am starting my second week of employment at Fedex tonite in the wee hours!
Will

How's it going Will? What are you doing there?

Hope this goes thru. Have tried posting several times only to get a server error. Can't even post pics tonight which isn't that big of a deal. lol

Waiting for the next batch of storms to hit tonight. lol

Enjoying the new job yet Will?

I was having trouble too. THought it was me. Now my custom box is on the left instead of the right and I don't know how to change it back.

Yup, storms are suppose to be here in a couple of hours too.

You can't change it. It's a permament. The admin changed it for several reasons. Part of it was to accomodate the ads better. Most aren't happy about it but at this point there is nothing you can do about it. I also had mine on the right and prefer it there.

It's going okay, thanks, Crit, I handle Fedex packages. And you? How's it going down there in sunny Tulsa, Crit? It's a tedious and physical job at Fedex, but I'm getting used to being sore! Enjoying it, Pepper?! No! But, it could be worse I suppose. The hardest part is getting up at 2:30am! I've always managed to be on time and stuff, but my alarm clock is getting a workout from the snooze button! I'm thinking I'll work there for awhile then maybe move onto something with sooner bennies and better and more hours.

I pushmowed my small-town KS. ˝ acre yesterday, this time I seem to have traded the usual runny nose with Chigger bites all over my ankles and legs! And I was wearing sweat-pants and socks, and a Sombrero to protect me from the sun even!

I noticed the change here too with the layout and stuff, glad it wasn't just me! I haven't had any trouble with anything else. I had to look to make sure I was logged in because things didn't look like usual.
Will

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Will, I have researched recently about chiggers. I discovered sulfur powder keeps the chiggers away. Some people mix talcum powder and sulfur powder together and shake it in their shoes and socks.
Others have spread sulfur on their lawns. They say it stinks for a few days and then goes away. I haven't tried it yet, but am considering it.
Chigger bites will drive you nuts!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Will, boy, that week went fast! How are you liking it? Who all do you deliver to? All people, all businesses or both? Who is up at 2:30 am to recieve a package? LOL! Hang in there long enough to get a good work report.

I would consider the work, exercise. It will be good for you!

Pepper, I hope the trouble isn't on your end of the computer.

Hmm, custom boxes changed. I never noticed, LOL!
I just looked. All my things are on the right, but the custom box is just a heading. I have no idea what is supposed to be in there. I did customize my page quite a while back.

Birder, interesting about the chiggers. I don't have a problem with them here, but remember getting the bites as a kid when I'd been in the grass. Knock on wood, but I wonder why I don't have them?

Have you ever seen a Mulberry Tree so full?

Thumbnail by billyporter

Haha, billyp! I deliver Fedex packages to pimps and whatnot, I just deliver the package, I don't have to know whats in the package! I'm just kidding, I don't deliver at all.
The drivers come in about 6am and load up. What I do as a package handler is just carry the packages off the conveyor belt and stack them sorted for the drivers. I gotta tell you, some of the drivers are jerks! This one always has some wisecracks for me, "don't stack that there", "the label is over here", I might have to deliver a package to his forehead! And those drivers will tell on you, they'll just make stuff up!
How am I liking it? Well, it wouldn't be so bad if sweating and regularly getting behind wasn't a part of the job! But yeah, I expect it is good exercise, you're body doesn't know everything stinks!
But, my co-workers are pretty nice, they are team workers too. My work report is good, they said. They just now, (after a week) tell me not to time in even a minute early, which I don't really understand, how am I supposed to time in at the same time that I report for our morning meeting?! I didn't say anything though, it's not easy having bosses that are 20 years younger than you, oh well!

Thanks birder, sulphur eh? I may be trying that. I am ate up with Chigger bites on my legs and ankles. If I itch once, theres no stopping, then thats red for a long time and it itches like crazy! Last nite I put oatmeal in a sock (and put it on me as I bathed), I put Cortizone cream on me before I went to bed. Maybe it'll only last a couple days! Chiggers mean business!

Those are some nice Mulberries bllyp. Is that a Red Mulberry or the more common non-native White Mulberry? I don't see any white mulberries there myself. Mulberries are good though, you or somebody oughta get them before the birds do!
Will

This message was edited Jun 21, 2011 4:40 PM

We had a big mulberry tree in the back yard when I was a kid. My mom would get after me for eating them, that they were not for people. I never really knew why.

They don't want you to clock in early, because then you can leave early or they have to pay you overtime.

I wish people (administrators) would JUST LEAVE THINGS ALONE!

Will, get some BiteMD for those bites. We found some at Cargo Largo last year and that's the first and only thing I have found that works. I apply it twice a day til it doesn't itch anymore.

Another DG'er had chiggers and she used chiggerx . I always just use clear fingernail polish.

I've tried the fingernail polish and it never really worked for me. It always made me mad too!! LOL

Thanks, I'll keep those in mind. I like fingernail polish too, but this is too much I think to do that suffocating thing. It's equally as bad on the other ankle and my legs are bad too. Sorry, not a pretty foot, I forgot about my pedi appointment!
Just kidding about the pedi but heres an ate up ankle this evening!

Oh Crit, it's just a part-time job, theres no chance of getting OT, but I think they want the vast majority of employees to have the same dismal 4 hours a day, it's kinda pathetic but I think they don't mind if everybody there is broke! We can't just leave, I'm pretty sure we'd get fired. Like today, my early 20 something boss says "you can go home right after this box". They like to dismiss people one at a time.
Will

This message was edited Jun 21, 2011 8:55 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Will, that looks like poison ivy also.

Have you tried UPS? They might be better.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Looks like chiggers to me. They are dismal. I think they're worse than mosquito bites. One time, I visited a friend's garden, and I was eaten up by chiggers. I called my Dr and he gave me an Rx for itch medicine. It worked really well. You may want to consider that avenue.
I had a chigger recently at the between of my two littlest toes right at the crevice. It was driving me wild. I ended up scratching it, and then, I put vinegar on it. (Research) It burned like wild fire, but it quit itching after that. I "think" I killed the little burger. I'd rather have the burn than the itch. It's scabbed over now, but I have relief from the itching. Man, I feel for you.

Owie, owie .... that looks miserable.

Step-son likes his UPS job. He's a box thrower (his words lol)

Will, I know you handle the boxes that say "plants" on them very gentle right...rofl. The drivers are pretty crabby because they have a certain amount of time to get their routes done also. Everything is based on time! I think FedX and UPS have the same company model they work off of. As many part-time as possible but at least they pay better than like Wally world.

This cool spell is amazing! Would hate it if I was a kid cause we went to the lake all the time and the pool so it would be a little chilly for all that.

Will, my XDH was in the blue berets (back in vietnam days, it was the air force’s equivalent to green berets) anyway back to the point, the chiggers in the fields out in Texas were so horrible the guys wore panty hose under their camouflage fatigues, all of us wives would just crack up watching the macho men trying to get into these things...rofl. They have to be the thick hose so the chiggers can't bury in.

Here is one of my pretties blooming.

Thumbnail by happgarden
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Ha-ha. Another reason to live in Minnesota!

Getting lots of rain last few days.
But garden is really going. Pepper plants grew 6" since Sunday when I cultivated them.
My son is staking & tying tomatoes.

3 workers are trying to keep weeds under control. So far, so good.

I am going to the shop to do some sanding shortly.

Wow CG your garden is doing good. I was late getting the tomatoes out but they have really hopped to it. That is really the only thing i have in the new raised beds because I don't have any soil but one little glob....but look out next year.... Are you a commerical grower, a farmer's market grower, or growing for you?
One of my friends is a farmer's market grower and they hit about 5 farmers markets a week.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Will, I see. I would actually like your job better than being a driver. I'm sure they give everyone a hard time. Just stack your packages and ignore them. They don't even rate a good morning till they say it first.

I guess you follow someone in and do as they do. I understand not having the time card read ''off.''

If you already got a good report then you just need to have more practice. You'll do fine.

I would call it a black mulberry since those are the ripe one's. We also have the white and go out to the cemetery just to eat them, as we did the other day. There are black mulberries on the edge of town and I ate some this morning on my walk.

Crit, kids and mulberries can end up a purple mess. The stain will last a day. Or, maybe your Mom was aware of the bugs that can be opn the one you eat. I don't look, LOL! (Yes I do.)

Agreed, they mess it all up for those who learn how to do things that work for the people. They get their job done, they should ''police'' themselves.

If you Google them, what happens is their bite destroys tissue, hardening it and creating a feeding tube. they can eat for a few days.

That looks pretty itchy!

Birder17, man, I feel for YOU!! That had to be torture, LOL!

Happ, I do imagine they are about the same. Schedules. if you can't keep up, they'll let you go.

Smiling. Those pantyhose would be worth it tho! Right Will?

Oh, how delicately gorgeous!!

Bernie, ''so far so good.'' Wonderful words!

Happ, those Farmer's Markets are a lot of hard dedicated work. Bernie's produce is picture perfect, laid out neatly and snapped up!

I see no rain. I think I'll walk the yard and see what's bloooming.

Have a great rest of the day all!

I thought I was protecting from Poison Ivy actually, I've had that before and it does indeed smart. This is a little bit of a different feeling and itch. I was totally covered that day on my legs and my feet, I couldn't have touched any Poison Ivy I don't think. I've had Poison Ivy before, I am not in the 15% of people that are immune to it. Oh, I know the saying, "if leaves are three, leave it be!"!
When I've itched Poison Ivy I'd be like, "oh boy, thats going to scar". I don't feel like that with this, it just itches like crazy!
Crit said it good, it is miserable! With any luck though, it won't last much longer, altho, so far it still itches pretty bad, maybe I'll try some vinegar in a bit.

http://www.maddash.net/videos/ups/ptph2/ That says "maddash", but it's a UPS site. They have videos instead of actual information. Tuition assistance is $3,000 a year there, which is good,
Fedex is only $1,500 a yr. Years ago a friend of mine worked there while attending William Jewell College and has had great jobs since. But, that assistance is not much when tuition can be way up there per semester. And the pay at UPS is only $8.50 an hour to start. I can't find it of course but I think they're bennies start much sooner than Fedex, if I lived closer to Lenexa, KS. I'd consider them more. Whats nice also there, everybody gets a scheduled interview, that you can reschedule or cancel it online if you want to. I've applied there twice over the years but always had to cancel the interview. The pay there though is pretty well down there, you'd need to live on the very basic essentials and not go much of anywhere or have a life or anything! Basically, I think you better still live at home..lol If I was younger I'd prolly jump on it.

I don't recall seeing any of what might be plant boxes, happ, tho I'd surely handle them with utmost care, seriously, I never let packages fall or drop them. Some package handlers I don't think are that caring or even attentive that they're sorted right, generally tho I think people there understand the importance of handling with care, they do stress that. I think Fedex might not be the preferred shipper of plant materials.
Thats a nice light pink Lily there, happ. Here is one of my 3 Purple Prince Lily Trees in the photo, it's growing like a weed! I ought to do that panty hose when I mow, I never thought of that. I think I'll wear my Sombrero and panty hose when I mow, wouldn't that be something! The cops would be loading me up! I remember a few years ago I drew my now deceased Aunt in our Christmas gift thing and she wanted "hose", so at Christmas I had a garden hose all wrapped up, they laughed for a while on that, but I did't know!

Last nite, everybody was behind, thats the plan there, swamp everybody with packages while they're there! You don't even have time to get a drink of water! I don't know how long I'll be there, it is pretty discouraging most of the time. Ack, Chiggers sound nasty, I hope they don't feed on me for long! Oh, I do like me a panty hose! I have plenty of extra from robbing liquor stores! It IS pretty itchy! Did you ever see that episode of Seinfeld where Newman is scratching from fleas? Thats what I do when people aren't looking, I'm fraught with Chiggers!

Oh, this weather is nice, at 4am it is great! Thats one good thing about that Fedex job. MN. though would be real nice Summer weather.

A "box thrower" hehe! I'm quite sure thats just an expression, if we got caught throwing boxes, heads would roll!

Last nite I loaded a 47" Vizio 3D flat panel tv at work, I was in a state of envy!

Will

This message was edited Jun 22, 2011 10:12 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Just enjoying the weather and trying to hurry up and pack as much as possible today. Tomorrow after work I have to go get the wood and we will probably cut more just to be on the safe side.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.