Bush beans

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi Amanda

You're singing my favorite song!

By the way, don't I already owe you some seeds?
I ad5-6 mailers almost ready to go when work got busy).

I see mostly 'bush", but how about:

Snap Bean "White Half Runner"
Phaseolus vulgaris
O.P. Annual 51 to 60 days
2'-3' tall climbing

I'll also hunt for any "onesie" pkts of pole beans.

Also on hand:
Burpees Bush Fordhook Lima Bens
"Blue Lake" Bush 18-24" tall
English Pea "Thomas Laxton" 60 days ' - 3' tall bush

For "gobs of seed" next fall, I'll hand-pick something from Ed Hume or Territorial or ...!
Name your favorites!

Corey

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Have you of you tried the japanese yard long beans? I love them, grown on a trellis, they produce an abunt crop, and they taste so good. I was given 6 plants last year and this year I put in 25 plants. pick when about 18-20 inches long, use same as regular green beans.

Hudson, MA

Quote from Horseshoe :
I've grown navy beans, black eyes, and northern whites as well as pinto beans from the store.

I'd like to hear more about the pinto beans! Is it too late for central mass? I've got a spare wall I could trellis....

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I've decided not to plant beans. If I had more space, maybe, but in my small yard, the space to return ratio doesn't justify how EZ it is to just pick them up at the market...it was a nice idea, though...

So. Who want's enough beans to feed a small nation?

I have:
Zipper
Kentucky bush?pole? something-or-other
Crowders
Black-eyed peas
Cream Peas
and some others. LMK if you want any. The beans are from the 2008-2010 seasons.

Linda

silver spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Rick
are you getting any beans off your painted ladies. I'm getting tons of flowers on one, but no pods. Its so weird. I wonder if it has anything to do with the intensely hot weather we had a couple weeks ago.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

"I'd like to hear more about the pinto beans! Is it too late for central mass? I've got a spare wall I could trellis..."

Ireed, I'm not sure when your first frost date is up your way so it's hard to say for sure. I know most of the pinto varieties take 75 to over 100 days to mature, depending on whether you pick them fresh or want to let them dry. Picking them dry could easily take 120 days for some types. Also, you most likely won't need a trellis for them, they're more bushy than vining with the exception of some types may send out runners a foot or so.

GG, small gardens do better by planting pole beans, not bush. You'll get quite a harvest growing upwards and save your ground space for other plants. And pole beans will produce much much longer than any bush type so you still have a chance to grow your own.

Shoe

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Gymgirl:

- - -
Zipper
Kentucky pole?
Crowders
Black-eyed peas
Cream Peas
- - -

Oh, boy! We have NO pole beans in stock in New Bee Seeds - just some runners. Any pole beans (indeed, any beans or peas or other crops) would be very welcome.

All five you listed sound great, but maybe just "whatever you have most of" and "whatever's oldest". I never heard of "Cream Peas" before.

Is there anything you're looking for?

Yehudith:
>> are you getting any beans off your painted ladies.

I have a tiny yard, no good trellis yet, and haven't planted any yet. My current climate problem is an unusually COLD spring!

Corey

RickCorey_WA,
You misunderstood me. I giving away ALL the beans. Not gonna plant them.

Since you're the first to respond, and since this is for the newbies giveaway, I'll send you all the beans I have.

P.S. I owed you a care package, anyway, remember?

Thank you for my seeds!

The offer for beans is now closed.

Decatur, GA

I have grown bush beans and they tasted great and produced for a long time. My problem with them was BENDING over to pick them. My back was screaming at me by the time I got them all in the colander.
I am now growing pole beans for the ease of picking only. They were tasty last year. ^_^
Helen

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Yayy!

No, I forget things being sent me even faster than I forget things I owe people ... but at least i have notes on what I owe and keep checking the lists. Eventually i'll send someone the same thing twice and they will KNOW I'm senile. Or disorganized.

Can I send you postage, say by PayPal? I know that RisingCreek's seniors can use some of those beans, and Amanada was looking for pole beans.

Gymgirl, you go on the list of "anything you want that I or NB has, you get". Some month, I'll have a list ... we do have stuff I never heard of:

Texas Sabal Palm, "Texas Palmetto" Sabal texana or Sabal mexicana Palm Tree Cold Hardy

Dwarf Pomegranate Punica granatum

Formosan Lily "Taiwanese Mountain Lily" Zones 5a - 10a Lilium formosanum
near white 3" to 6" trumpet-shaped blooms

Mexican Buckeye Ungnadia speciosa Family Sapindaceae
Pink, Rose/Mauve blooms Late Winter / Early Spring
deciduous shrub / tree [Zone 7a-9b]

Persian Silk Tree / Pink Mimosa Tree Albizia julibrissin
30'-40' tall 10'-20' apart Zones 6-10

Red False Yucca New Mexico False Yucca Hesperaloe funifera
Evergreen Shrub, Cactus or Succulent no spines, soft leaf [ P Zone 7 ]

Dinner Plate Hibiscus
Northern Sea Oats Chasmanthium latifolium Uniola latifolia ornamental grass

Dianthus Mixed Colors Red-Pink- White-Purple

etc

(I think I may be beginning to get the idea of how to do New Bee Seeds. I send someone a few small packets, and they send back a few BIG packets. I think that seed savers have invented perpetual motion - or at least perpetual seeds. Seeds are like what SF author Spider Robinson said about joy: "Joy shared is multiplied, sorrow shared is divided.")

I just got the "Bountiful Gardens" seed catalog (all OP, no GMO, most heirloom, many rare). I think I will be ordering from them eventually, and then asking around "who would like to trial ABC-XYZ next spring, and maybe share back some saved seeds next fall?"

Corey

Rick,
"Freely you have received, freely you should give."

This is a quote from a VERY good friend of mine...

Nothing is required except getting the seeds to those who need them.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> "Freely you have received, freely you should give."

I like that!

My own favorite was on the wrapper of a chockolate kiss of some kind:

"When love is given freely, the rewards are great."

I tried it, and it worked for me.

Corey

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Awww - you two are making me blush. All this mushy love stuff. :D

Corey - I have chasmanthemum latifolium - love it - do you need seed for that list or are you just saying you found things that are new to you?

Also - I am not sure I need runner beans. I can stick with my bush beans I guess. I'd be glad to send postage if I was going to beg for some from somebody. When I sent all my extra loose stamps to Robin as a newbee - it didn't occur to me that I would be trading so much (!!!!) that I might have been able to use those darn stamps myself. :D

i just received some scarlet runner beans from lycodad (Al). I want them for the flowers/hummingbirds, but I understand if you pick them when they are small/young they are tasty to eat too.

Have a good night.

A.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

AmandaEsq - Scarlet Runner Beans are indeed edible. They were the only beans we grew when I was a child growing up in England. They will flower in hot weather, but will not set beans until the weather cools.

Pick them small, as you suggested. As you remove the top, pull the top towards the bottom to remove the tough string. Then do the same with the bottom piece and pull the other string towards the top.

In England we called these "string beans"

Funny. In New Orleans, we call these "string beans," too...maybe we're related? ^^_^^

(EVERY gardener is related!) LOL!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

We call all green beans "string beans". This is a carryover from the days when all green beans had strings and needed "zipping". With the introduction of newer "stringless" varieties the name fell by the wayside and many folks chose the term "snap beans" (because you could snap them w/out stringing them first) or simply called them green beans.

As for me, I call 'em all kinds of names and comfortable with them all.

Shoe (who just picked a pound or so of Romano type green/string/snap beans)

What, "fall by the wayside?" It's simply relative!

In Houston, I use my refrigerator.
When I go home to New Orleans, I get it out of the ice box...

In Houston, I go grocery shopping.
When I go home to New Orleans, I "make" groceries...

In Houston, I put the dishes and the laundered clothes away.
When I go home to New Orleans, I "save" them, both...

In Houston, I may drink a soda.
In New Orleans, I have a soft drink...

In Houston, I ride the bus
In New Orleans, I "catch" the bus

It's purely relative!

In Houston I have "play" brothers, sisters, mamas & daddies, aunties, and uncles
In New Orleans they would look at me like I'm crazy if I called anybody a "play" relative!!! LOL!!!!

Hugs! ^^_^^

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

AmandaEsq:
>> chasmanthemum latifolium / Northern Sea Oats
>> do you need seed for that list

No, those we DO have, but keep us in mind next year.

I CAN send you bush beans, those we have.

BTW: does your screen name mean "Esquire",
or does it mean that you are somewhat Amanda-y?

>> In Houston, I may drink a soda.
>> In New Orleans, I have a soft drink...

In MA, it was "pop".

Sandwich / sub / hero / torpedo

Corey

Po' Boy - DRESSED!

Honey

Thank you so much. I'm looking at these gorgeous flowers and these gorgeous beans and wondering how one got to the other. I'll just enjoy my flowers for now secure in the knowledge that I can expect my beans later on when the weather starts to cool down later in the year. I wonder if I plant them on the north East or south east side of the house if it would help? I only have one seed left so I'm a bit loathed to try it out.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

yehudith - I think your bean would need full sun, but if you only have one left, why not give it a try on the East or South East side of the house.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Corey/Linda -

In PA we called a sub a "hoagie" - not on your list. :D

I bought some beans yesterday so I don't suppose I need any Corey. I still call 'em string beans or just green beans, but these particular beans are purple pole beans. Look tasty - anyone familiar with
the variety?

Trionfo Violetto / P. vulgaris

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Corey - yes as in Esquire. AND I'm fairly Amanda-y too some would say.

I took that screen name on AOL in 1996 because none of the names I picked were available. I was sort of self-conscious about it, but now it's easy when I join a website because the name is always available. :D

Left my practice in 2006 after 14 years of trial litigation. I figured I was too young to feel that bad.

LOOK AT ME NOW!!! Feel great, but poverty stricken. Go figure.

A.

Decatur, GA

In Michigan we drank soda pop!
Nothing wrong with being poverty sticken if you feel good! Sounds better than being rich and sick.

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

Amanda, I've grown Trionfo Violetto; it's a very good-tasting bean. Until I started with Fortex it was my favorite.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> Feel great, but poverty stricken.

Most people either have a job, and hence enough money to do things, but no time ...
... or no job, and have plenty of time, but no money.

If I retire when my SS is at its max, I may have plenty of time, almost enough money to maintain a garden plus myself, but no mobility or strength!

My hope is that, if national health care becomes real in my lifetime, that more employers will be open to half-time workers.

Corey

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Corey - them's a lot of "ifs"up there. Including one you forgot - IF SS is available when you (or I ) retire.

I have a job -hurt my wrist a month ago as some of you know. Still out. W. comp benefits are a nice gesture, but it won't pay my car loan next month.

I've been in school FT in the forestry program at NCSU for the last 2 years. Will finish up by the end of the year or early spring. Thesis, research, writing. Yum.

OR I can (and do) hide in the a/c until I feel ready to face the heat. It says 95 degrees on the weather gauge in the yard. Anyway.

Thanks for your thoughts. :)

A.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> IF SS is available

True.

But most of the rhetoric about "SS is about to crash and burn" comes form liars with political agendas. What I hear from people who are not doing the "Boogeyman gonna get ya!" dance is not alaraming. More like "a few years later and a little less".

On the other hand, I won't say I trust the party I'm NOT sympathetic to to refrain from breaking the law and transferring funds from SS to the general fund.

To "avoid politics" please let me not say which which party I distrust most!

>> W. comp benefits are a nice gesture, but it won't pay my car loan next month.

I understand.

I was 30%-90% paralysed for a year or so with GBS and was out of work for that long, then another 6-12 months of part time work. The was an SS program for that kind of temporary disability, that kicked in a little AFTER many motnhs of no work.

Funny story: Daddy Bush was challeenged about paying for one of those wars they started. He said "No problem, we can save enough money on these silly Leftist entitlement programs to pay for it".

Like two weeks later, I got a letter from SS saying that they had retroactively decided that they should have given me less while I was paralysed - that if I could work even half time from a wheelchair, any other expenses were MY problem, so I owed them back $22,000. Fortunately, they let me pay it back over several years.

I figure I paid for one cluster bomb.

I have no beef about "don't go back to work until you can pay your bills, including medical bills, out of your income". I was able to live with my aged parents until I went back to work.

But the retroactive SS take-back would have more than impoverished me if I hadn't continued recovering in the me4anwhile, and could pay them back out of a full salary, after the medical bills had subsided a lot, and been mostly paid off.

Sorry, hugely off topic.

Corey

Corey

I understand 100000% I'm in healthcare remember. But also keep in mind, we all have to sacrifice, that is unless you make over $250K then you can have all the tax breaks and incentives you want. If you're lucky enough to have an industrial farm and spread millions of dollars worth of pesticides and GMO seed we even understand if you get a subsidy. If you're homeless well that's only because you have a moral problem and you should pull yourself together. And people who want health care... they just want a free ride. We all know that.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

:/

I thought I would be accepted here on DG in this anonymous forum, but I see people mock and deride me here too. o well. Plants don't talk back. My bad for bringing up charged topic(s) anyhow.

@ Corey - your tale pissed me off.

@ yehudith- healthcare pisses me off.

Best back to the garden. Maybe inspiration will strike.

A.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Amanada, I hope you're kidding: I'm not trying to mock or insult you. If we disgaree about something, that's cool by me. I expect most people to disagree with most people about most things. Life is much more interesting that way.

Yehudith, I mostly agree with you. Government of the people, by the lawyers, for the rich.
The finest legislators that money can buy. (Campaign money, not corruption, mostly.)

And all too many zealots on both sides, who seriously believe that whatever "ism" or "ology" they worship is the answer, no matter what the question, no matter what the facts.

And hypocrisy and plain deceit, squared, cubed and to the Nth power.

Corey

Amanda

Like Corey I'm not trying to mock or insult you. G-d L-rd after reading your story I'm on your side. I practiced in a hospital where we routinely delivered girls as young as 11yrs old. The city had the highest maternal and infant mortality rate not only in this country, but among the industrialized world, mostly because these women had no access to healthcare. Many if they had had prenatal care would have delivered healthy fullterm babies and lived to tell the tale. Sorry if I hurt your feelings but the experiences stick with you even after 37 years in practice.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Ya know, I thought I'd say "just kidding" but then again I have traded some pokes in the ribs with Corey before and thought I wouldn' t have to so .. . .

I'M KIDDING!!! :P

I consider myself a pretty moderate liberal. But wildly liberal in some regards. Fairly conservative on some other issues. Truth is - my father died when I was a bay - we grew up on social security benefits, food stamps, whatever. One of my older brothers has turned into a raging conservative. He has apparently forgot where he came from.

No matter, I am not in the least offended by either of your comments. I was truly pissed off though, especially thinking about having to pay back $22K. I'd have something to say about that. I do tend to speak my mind. Loudly. I have burned a lot of bridges, but I sleep well at night knowing that I always do the right thing.

Hippie love to you both. :)

A.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

p.s. DO go easy on the lawyer cracks. There is a fairly sensitive attorney type in the room, few though we be. :P

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

ummm, can we get back to bush beans please? Thank you. Really.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I think I'm about done with bush beans, thank you. I have moved on to pole beans. Did you have a specific question about bush beans, Mary?

A.

This message was edited Jun 24, 2011 9:32 PM

Decatur, GA

This has gotten very interesting. I love heated conversations from intelligent people. he he he

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

No.

Peace.
Mary

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Well, I'll get back to bush beans by saying: I'm picking them daily. YUM!

And the best thing is... NO MEXICAN BEAN BEETLES THIS YEAR - YAY!

Actually, I squished two a few weeks back, but that was it.

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

We are watering today, since we have had no significant rainfall for ages, and then I'll pick for the first time tomorrow. I've been grabbing the few big ones as I see them and munching on them whilst in the garden, but I think I can probably do a full pick tomorrow. Picked raspberries this morning - now what to do with them! I still have lots in the freezer from last year!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.