What's happening in your neck of the woods/Summer 2011

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Susan - I'm so sorry to hear your news. Will certainly keep you in my Ts and Ps and hope that something comes along for you.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Susan :She can contact us by email at albertasheltierescue@yahoo.ca.
( We don't publish our phone numbers or give them out unless people don't have email or we have already had an email contact)

Well my GP thinks the hip thing is a soft tissue injury so is sending me to see a physio - appointment is on Monday. In the meantime she has given me a prescription for Tylenol 3's since that seemed to help with the pain.

All the peonies are spoken for and most picked up. I planted mine this morning. Went and bought 2 new clematis this morning - I have had several that have no sign of life , some are charging along and some are just barely out of the ground.

Bailey and Abby were groomed yesterday, first time since Feb so they look pretty good. I will take Sassy next week- we have a groomer who does the foster dogs free - and Buddy needs to go too as we hope to have him adopted soon so he needs to be tided up!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Thanks Carol - I'll pass the info on to Gerry - she's thinking of adopting another Sheltie.

Dundas,, ON(Zone 5b)

Holy cow! Miss a while and it's so hard to catch up. But worth it to see how you all are doing.

Fancy, so glad your hip problem is not as serious as you feared.

Susan, will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. There's a right place for everyone, and you can find yours. Your hubby too.

Marilynne - are you sure that wasn't just one of those Thunder Bay mosquitoes I've heard about in your backyard? What an interesting experience that must have been. The best I get here is coons tipping over my garbage cans.

And Teresa - what beautiful flowers! I'm not sure we're going to have any here this year. That poppy - does it have seeds you can bake with like the regular poppies do? It's really beautiful.

And Viola Anne - what great bells! That must be so much fun. Me, I'd love to learn to play the marimba, but don't know if I could afford an instrument, and then don't quite know where I'd put it, but keep hoping it'll all come together one of these days.

Rain and more rain here - cold most days then the occasional hot day. Terrible storms here yesterday evening, lots of power outages, trees down and rain so bad that people had to pull off the road cause they couldn't see - and in my small neighbourhood, not even a drop of rain. Just so weird - I've never seen anything like it. It has been getting warmer occasionally and quite hot yesterday so I planted my tomatoes out finally and they were really pot-bound so not happy campers right now - and it's jacket-cold again tonight and I don't think that will help. Planted my broccoli and lettuce a few weeks ago and so cold and so rainy they haven't grown even one inch!! Lots and lots of blossoms on the strawberry plants on the roof garden though - hope it gets warm enough that they fruit out properly.

I finally got my project that I started after my visit to Kenya in 2009 on-line. It's been a struggle with the first group breaking down due to in-fighting, and me so far away, can't mediate, but another group came forward to take over, young people and they're doing a bang-up job. And of course I had problems making the site as I hadn't done any HTML since about 1998, and not anything since and so much has changed that I mucked up several times trying updated and newer things. So, keep your fingers crossed for us - they really need this. http://tribaltravel.info/

Betty, if you run a B&B, maybe I'll take it into my mind to escape the city one weekend and spend an overnight in your neck of the woods. Don't think I've been up that way.

Anyway, way past time for bed, but wanted to check in as I've been away for far too long

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

yes, a place for everyone. To be truthful, I'm rather glad I'm not working there anymore. I was working my heart out and not getting much respect. It would have been nicer if there were more people my age in the company...

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Nice to hear from you Cybercrone, I looked over the site and enjoyed the music. Not something I think I could do, but I certainly applaud you for your efforts. I have a dear freind in Etobicoke who visits countries hard done by and provides bedding for children, she loves doing it.

Susan .. are you eligible for EI ?

Well .. it was SUPPOSED to be sunny here today, but, OOPSIE , seems we are going to get rained on .. still going to the border though, my package has been there long enough.

Going to try and get a picture of this critter, but, I have to tell ya .. we have one HONKIN big squirrel under the bird feeder!! At first I thought it was a Ground Hog !! But, I kept watching, and it's a grey/red squirrel .. chases all the other smaller squirrels away (NOT a bad thing)

TGIF ^_^

~M~

Dundas,, ON(Zone 5b)

@Marilynne: Have you seen the video on-line of the bear going "hand-over-hand" across a wire strung up to hang a bird-feeder and then eating all the seed? It's really amazing since you would never believe that a bear could travel on something so small.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

yes, Marilyn, I'm eligible for EI. Just have to wait for all my pay-outs to finish.
I finished my app for EI, and they're continuing it from my previous app (which ended in Dec) and I suppose this will increase the length of time I can use EI.
Will have to see.

Susan .. good to hear you can collect EI. Service Canada has lots of 'services' available to help folks secure alternate employment.

Went to the border and picked up a parcel today and Lorna's parents were treated to the sight of a fairly large Bull Moose running along side the road on our way back .. course my cell phone was out of reach to take a picture .. just happy he was running BESIDE the car and not dashing out in front of it !!!
All we need to see now is a Cougar .. they do exist around these parts, but I'd rather I see a bear/Moose or deer as opposed to a Cougar thanks !!

Heard on our local news that TBay is one of the cooler cities in Canada today .. not as cool as Baker Lake .. they had SNOW FLURRIES yesterday !!!!

Busy weekend on the way .. best rest up !!

TTFN

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Right now I'm angry at the company:
1. they were to courier items to me from my old desk, and part of them is a live fish, a couple of plants, and a vase of flowers. As it's 6:00pm, do you think the fish will survive? At 3pm I was told the courier had the box of my stuff, and I don't know how long he had them then....... doesn't look good for my fishy......
2. a secretary from the department called me at home to find out about some files. I emailed the HR advisor and told her "This is a privacy breach - I didn't give her my home #, nor did I authorize the distribution of it. I feel uncomfortable being asked about files for a job I no longer hold!"
she emailed back, said she understood, passed this on to the boss, and said she'd follow up on it! I hope so!!

Dundas,, ON(Zone 5b)

@Susan: I'm sorry to hear that they seem to be treating your belongings so cavalierly - and I'd be really pi**ed if my company gave out my home phone number too. Hope things are going to get better from now on.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

well, I'm sure by now that the fish is deceased, but I'll be able to get another.

here's something funny - I was just talking to a fellow that was my co-worker, and the one who got me the fish. He said they put plastic wrap around it, and then stuck a straw in, to allow for air! Isn't that the funniest, stupidest thing, when I could have picked it up as I'm only 10 min from the office?!?!?!
Now, it's been sitting like that for awhile, and can't be fed. Siamese Fighting Fish don't need to be fed every day, but certainly every 3 days. How long before I get the fish? Monday, perhaps....... it's been packed since Thursday........!!!!!!

how foolish.........

Susan, I have to say, that if the company you worked for can treat a fish that inhumanely, your better off making that company a memory.
I really do feel awful for you.

Down to a week left in the visit. All has gone well, and this week will be a flurry of activity as we wind down. Elderly aunties will take centre stage tomorrow as we bring them lunch and spend the afternoon. Short trips from the city have yet to be taken to view wildlife areas .. mind you .. we've already seen quite a bit without even having to seek it out !

Tuesday, at sometime, I have a technician coming to see what's wrong with my dishwasher :-( seems it doesn't want to discharge ALL the water after the cycle .. sure hope it can be a morning appt !!

TBay is having wonderful weather ... cool cool mornings though and the mosquito/black fly war continues.

Off to make a cheese cake .. big supper tonight ...

TTFN

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all, busy weekend having the entire family over..wedding celebration Friday night, day of fun yesterday, so much so 3 of the boys still getting their beauty sleep!

Weather isn't the best, wind is up and rain is in the air ..been working on a 2nd pond, got it dug however ran across a problem, dug right where the old septic system is and now have to cut the plastic line..now wondering if it's part of municipal line, wouldn't that be something cutting it and finding out it is the one I presently am using

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Marilyn - thank you - I'm feeling like a huge burden has been lifted since I left (except for the anger about the incompetence with my stuff - fish included). I appreciate the thought from you.

Bob's out back, standing on our biggest shed, pruning the cottonwood tree that's growing from our neighbour's yard with branches way over our yard. It's sending fluffies around - looks like snow, for pete's sake!!

I would take pics of my garden, but my camera is one of the things I'm waiting for from the courier!

My indigo bush is starting to leaf out - it's a very slow growing bush - the rest of the trees are in full summertime leaf. The bush is only 4 years old here, and it's going to take awhile before it flowers, f'sure!

Dundas,, ON(Zone 5b)

Man, it was so cold again here today everyone was wearing jackets.

When summer does come it will probably try to make up for lost time all at once and we'll be dying of heat. I don't know if there's anyplace left that's getting "normal" weather. *sigh*

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Well the Tylenol 3 apparently was not such a good idea ( although it worked before)-took 2 on Friday morning and within an hour was dizzy,nauseous and just wanted to lie down but couldnt because somebody was coming to pick up peony roots. Anyways after she left I slept for almost 3 hours! OK after that but tired and not very ambitious, did not even walk the dogs!

Handyman called to say would do shed floor on Sat so i had to clear out the shed contents!

Sat am was pouring rain and I was supposed to meet Joanna ( banana) at her workplace to pick up some baskets- a drive of about 45 minutes. You can be sure I did not take any Tylenol! But the rain cleared as I left town so that worked out ok. Came back with 3 lovely huge baskets of mixed color Calibrachoa(Million Bells) and as I got home Tom the handman arrived!

He did the shed floor but I it was raining a lot so I did not reorganise until later - sure looks nice. I finished on Sunday which was a nice day.

However Sunday morning I decided to try 1 Tylenol and that was a mistake- not so bad as before but still not good! So I called off my shift at Lougheed House and just lay around and eventually finished up the shed.

It has rained, occasionally poured off and on pretty much every day lately.

This morning I went to the physio and she agrees the hip pain is either muscle or related to my sorry spinal cord. So I had heat with electrical stimulation and accupuncture and have had a really good day since, put on heat this afternoon - no idea why I did not try that weeks ago!- and I sat and read and then napped and got up without a lot of pain or needing to hang onto something. Back for another session on Friday and probably again next week.

Here is a pic of my clematis fence today - there are 4 different plants, purple, blue, and two different pinks.The pinks were planted later so they are all down at one end.
One of these days I will cut down most of thepurple and blue and then maybe add another pink at the other end. They will grow up again - I prune the blue ones severely every year when they finish flowering.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Carol - are you possibly allergic to Tylenol 3? It can be awfully hard on your stomach.
Glad your shed floor has been finished.
Probably didn't use heat on your back because we're always told to use cold to lessen the irritation/swelling, and only use heat to relax the muscles?!
Bob had his hip worked on by a great chiropractor! It was his sciatica and it's great, after 2 visits!!!
It's Associate Chiro @ Center St and 10th Ave NE.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

No I think the reason I did not think to try heat was because I was focused on the possibility it was evidence of a metastisize to the bone.

Yeh I have had chiro. done on my back a few times, especially after radiation treatment and I too have a good one! I love it when he puts me on the what I call the rack - which stretches and releases alternately- feels great when done.

I have a pretty wonky spine and it gets gradually worse- my height has already decreased by about an inch and a half. .And I have one leg shorter than the other so that creates problems too!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Carol, here is hoping this day is not only filled with sunshine but with good health!! Nice to get projects done isn't it? I've been making a list of things that need done and was so sure I was on top of things but seems I was wrong..

Love your clematis, I envy all who can grow such beautiful vines noticed though at the front of my house although skimpy one is trying to make something of itself..have 3 on side of house, almost string like, guess it would be too late to dig up and move to the front??

Susan, glad Bob got off the ladder without injuring himself!

Still hobbling, doubtful my little toe was broken, think just badly sprained..still painful though. With it being the right foot, my digging foot I won't be digging up and working on the pond...boohoo..wanted it done and operational by the weekend, not going to happen!! Time is limited seeing it's father's day weekend..visit with step-father (bought an e-reader and had Jeff download with a zillion cowboy books) he will be at the cottage, 1 hour drive away...hoping to do that visit on Friday...then Saturday early morning drive to Toronto to the rose greenhouse, as many of my cousins live out of town I put roses on my dad, grandfather and uncles graves on their behalf and mine of course...then another trip to where Roger is buried to put a wreath on his grave..then a trip to another town to put flowers on maternal grandfather's grave, there goes my weekend..I'm a strong believer in
looking after grave sites in honor of the dead...sure would be easier if all were hurried in same graveyard...none of the others feel any need to visit the dead...not sure where I got my need??

Hope you all get to play in the garden today...seeing flowers opening almost daily...worth a morning walk!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

my goodness Carol - I, too, had a wonky spine (scoliosis) but a chiro in Winnipeg straightened that out nicely - was side-to-side and back-to-front twisted. Said I "s'ed" both ways, far more than should be. But - it's better now.
Today I hop over to them again because my lower back is sore. I need to use up all my Blue Cross benefits before the end of the month cuz that's when they end with the company. Glad I still have them until then - will work on my knee, neck and lower back ^_^

Victoria Harbour, ON

I  think this is hilarious! I NEVER HEARD CREATION EXPLAINED THIS WAY BEFORE !!!
In the beginning, God created the Heavens and the Earth and populated the Earth with broccoli, cauliflower and spinach, green and yellow and
red vegetables of all kinds, so Man and Woman would live long and healthy lives.
Then using God's great gifts, Satan created Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream and Krispy Creme Donuts. And Satan said, "You want chocolate with that?" And Man said, "Yes!" and Woman said, "and as long as you're at it, add some sprinkles." And they gained 10 pounds. And Satan smiled.
And God created the healthful yogurt that Woman might keep the figure that Man found so fair. And Satan brought forth white flour from the
wheat, and sugar from the cane and combined them. And Woman went from size 6 to size 14.
So God said, "Try my fresh green salad." And Satan presented Thousand-Island Dressing, buttery croutons and garlic toast on the side.
And Man and Woman unfastened their belts following the repast.
God then said, "I have sent you heart healthy vegetables and olive oil in which to cook them." And Satan brought forth deep fried fish and
chicken-fried steak so big it needed its own platter. And Man gained more weight and his cholesterol went through the roof. God then created a light, fluffy white cake, named it "Angel Food Cake," and said, "It is good." Satan then created chocolate cake and named it "Devil's Food."
God then brought forth running shoes so that His children might lose those extra pounds. And Satan gave cable TV with a remote control so Man would not have to toil changing the channels. And Man and Woman laughed and cried before the flickering blue light and gained pounds.
Then God brought forth the potato, naturally low in fat and brimming with nutrition. And Satan peeled off the healthful skin and sliced the
starchy center into chips and deep-fried them. And Man gained pounds.
God then gave lean beef so that Man might consume fewer calories and still satisfy his appetite. And Satan created McDonald's and its
99-cent double cheeseburger. Then said, "You want fries with that?" And Man replied, "Yes! And super size them!" And Satan said, "It is good." And Man went into cardiac arrest.
God sighed and created quadruple bypass surgery.

Then Satan created Cuts to the Health Care System.

Amen

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

LOL yeah, that's funny, Betty!!

Victoria Harbour, ON

A Rednecks Observation of Canada (Canucks) as told by Jeff Foxworthy:

If someone in a Home Depot store offers you assistance and they don't work there
You may live in Canada

If you've worn shorts and a parka at the same time,
You may live in Canada

If you've had a lengthly telephone conversation with someone who dialled the wrong number,
You may live in Canada

If "vacation" means going anywhere south of Detroit/buffalo for the weekend,
You may live in Canada

If you measure distance in hours,
You may live in Canada

If you know several people who have hit a deer more than once,
You may live in Canada

If you have switched from "heat" to a/c in the same day and back again,
You may live in Canada

If you install security lights on your house and garage, but don't lock your doors,
You may live in Canada

If the speed limit on the highway is 80km per hour and you are going 100km per hour and everybody is passing you,
You may live in Canada

If you actually understand this list,
Then you definately are Canadian....

If you have more miles on your snowblower than your car,
You may live in Canada

If you design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit,
You may live in Canada
If you carry jumper cables in your car and your wife knows how to use them,

If you can drive 90 km/hr. through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching
You may live in Canada

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

LOL too true, Betty.
Love the Jeff Foxworthy jokes - he's funny!!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Look whos in the garden today!

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

And isn't this a pretty Iris!

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

And here is one of the lovely baskets I got on the weekend.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

hahahaha looking very happy in the garden!
and yes, it is a very pretty iris!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

oooooh million bells! I've always liked them!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Love the speckled look to it...

Omg, what a gorgeous photo..should enter into photo contest..your greenery looks so lush..

Did a walk around in my garden, can't believe how dry it looks..
Been digging a secondary pond and with earth all over yard doesn't look as inviting..hopefully my foot will be in shape enough to finish my project shortly...

Waiting on Ann to come for spaghetti dinner, best I go pay attention to cooking before I burn it...

Dundas,, ON(Zone 5b)

Got some gravel put down all along the space between the sidewalk and the fence on the weekend and was trying to figure out how I could grow some sweet peas along the fence.

I went to Home Dept and got a length of PVC pipe and cut it into 6 in (more or less) lengths. Cleared the gravel down to the newspaper, and punched the pipe through the newspaper, then stomped it a bit further down. Pushed the gravel back around it. Filled the pipe lengths with potting soil and planted my sweet pea seeds.

Has anyone ever done this? Did it work?

I'm wondering if I can keep it damp enough but not too damp inside the pipe until the plants get roots into the ground proper.

What are your thoughts ladies? (Besides the fact that gravel is really, really heavy!)

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

what a great idea!! Please let me know if this works!!!!!!!

WOW crone .. I must say you ARE an industrious lil gardener !! LOVE Sweet Peas .. the fragrance is hypnotic .. I have just planted the seeds along the fence and everything turned out okee dokee.
My Nasturtiums are up as are my Morning Glories and Sunflowers, no flowers, just the greenery.

Having company for 2 weeks has put a real dent in my gardening, that and the fact that the Bear is still in the area, so I don't wander too far from the house or garage ... the folks leave on Sunday, so, next week will be catch up for me.

Went for Chinese Food tonight at a Mandarin Buffet type restaurant .. gawd .. i can hardly move LOL ...
We were going to go to the Keg tomorrow, but, I think perhaps we'll hold off til Thursday.

ENjoyed the jokes Betty, and the pics Carol ..

Off to bed .. shoulders are pitchin a fit ..

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Crone, how creative you've been, am anxious to hear how it goes. did plant sweet peas but no growth..just not good with growing vines other than hops..bet your design would be so gorgeous if it did take!! Must be the nice weather getting you out..couldn't ask for a nicer day now could you!

Carol, love your hanging baskets..the ones I've seen locally aren't as nice..I'm hoping to drive the 1 1/2 hrs to orangeville maybe Friday to pick up 4' never saw such glorious hanging baskets but then you pay for them

"m" that's the problem with the all you can eat buffet, over indulge and pay for it. Two weeks having company is a long time when you are used to a schedule..my gardens are neededing weeding, should book a few vacation days and get it done!

My 'schedule' is right 'OUT THE WINDOW' .. but .. the days are dwindling down ..
Going to the Keg tonight, then Friday to a restaurant on the Lake shore .. Saturday will be a surprise celebration here for Lorna's parents 60th wedding anniversary .. it's in July, but we won't be going east for it ..

The weather has remained incredible .. even the mosquitoes seem to have 'bugged off' .. going to my brothers lake home today to snap pics of the Sleeping Giant .. then off to a wildlife area.

I am ups, as usual, will sleep sitting up for a bit, give my shoulders a break .. have all the animals gathered with me here .. they are quite used to this new nocturnal habit of mine.

I see the Boston Bruins won the Stanley Cup 4-0 .. lots of disappointed Vancouver Cannuck fans .. but .. 80% of the Bruins team is Canadian !!

TTFN

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning..was going to say that "M" the trophy will spend more time in Canada than the USA because of players being Canadian..too bad it's that way, if you are a canadian player it should be mandatory you play on a Canadian Team, same goes for USA players..can you imagine all the hallaballoo that went on in Vancouver..it's only a hockey game for heaven sakes..makes my blood boil..

Sounds as though you are having a great time with Lorna's parents..they must be thrilled to see her improve with each visit.

Sorry you are still having shoulder problems..me thinks you are doing too much..

Look who is talking right..was out with sprained toe digging and setting up the secondary pond..much more work but the good news is sunshine all weekend..going to be doing all my graveyard runs before 6am just so I still have all day after the visits/travelling to and from..

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Send some of that good news here please Betty -started raining late yesterday afternoon and still coming down- until tomorrow apparently. Dogs won't get walked today! Taking Sassy for a groom this morning and going out to a garden centre just east outside town while I wait to pick her up- probably take almost 2 hours.

Hip is still in pretty good shape - about 50% improvement, another physio visit tomorrow.
Heating pad getting a good workout.

Puttered around in the garden yesterday, some weeding, got a few plant leftovers in the ground or moved and dug up some seedlings to pot up for whoever wants them. Never seem to have much trouble giving away plants!

Victoria Harbour, ON

You've had your share of rain haven't you? Was listening to the radio this morning on my way to work and they were talking about the Calgary Stampede..drats, so wanted to see it one day, well maybe not see, thought i might find me a cowboy!!! lol

I would imagine it's very easy to rid yourself of plants, wish I lived closer!!! with a lot of the earth I dug from the pond I filled in an area behind the big frame I have sitting in the yard..soil means plant another garden right..

Glad to hear you are feeling better..takes time and if you are like me I've no time for healing, want to feel better today!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Betty come to Stampede any year! I can offer a bed and food!
And it is not too difficult to get from my place to the grounds by public transport.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.