What's happening in your neck of the woods/Summer 2011

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here's another nice one:

CHICKEN WITH PEACH JAM

6-9 CHICKEN PIECES (BONELESS, SKINLESS BREAST OR THIGHS)
1.2 CUP FLOUR
1.2 TSP EACH SALT AND PAPRIKA
¼ TSP PEPPER
OIL FOR FRYING

SAUCE
8 OUNCE JAR PEACH JAM
½ CUP CHOPPED ONION
½ CUP BARBECUE SAUCE
1 TBSP SOY SAUCE

1 MEDIUM GREEN PEPPER CUT INTO STRIPS.

PREPARATION

HEAT OVEN TO 350. IT USING GLASS BAKER REDUCE HEAT BY 15F

COAT CHICKEN IN MIX OF FLOUR, SALT, PAPRIKA AND PEPPER.
HEAT OIL IN LARGE SKILLET
BROWN CHICKEN ON BOTH SIDES

COMBINE SAUCE INGREDIENTS
ARRANGE CHICKEN IN 9X13 PAN
POUR SAUCE OVER TOP
BAKE,UNCOVERED 40 MINUTES OR UNTIL CHICKEN COOKED

ADD GREEN PEPPER STRIPS ON TOP, BAKE ANOTHER 5-10 MINUTES
IF USING BREASTS DECREASE BAKE TIME TO 25 MINUTES
AND TOP WITH PEPPER FOR A FURTHER 10 MINUTES

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thought my first post with recipes disappeared but guess it was just slow to load

This message was edited Jun 3, 2011 4:44 PM

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Carol ... thanks SO much, I will likely try both recipes as chicken is a real favourite !!
We do intend to go out a few times as well .. so .. that'll take the edge off having to cook ^_^

Betty .. here's hoping your Mom has some nice perennials .. I did manage to re locate most of my Rudbeckia .. plus Delphinium and Phlox .. but .. like Alberta Ann .. we are having such cool weather .. annuals are going to be slow in coming along ..

Dogs are antsie, best go and see what's got them ruffed up !!

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

no, Betty - it is so...... Summer is supposed to be hot here, but have lost plants to frost already. May have lost my hibiscus and the two brugmansias I was given..... thought because we were having +20c weather that we were "good", however even in summer we can have pretty chilly nights.

Ann - it may seem like summer's gone, and yes we're expecting a possible freeze again tonight, but.... well, I'd better just cover my plants is all....

yummy, Carol - I want to try both those recipes - we love chicken here (well, maybe mostly me, but because I do the cooking, I get to choose LOL) I just Know that Bob will love the Peach-y chicken dinner ^_^

Spent the day indoors, then went to neighbour's for dinner, then Bob decided to pull out the shears and cut some dead branches off our lilac. Yard's looking pretty good! Better than last year. We didn't even get a spring, and a short summer. Looks like it will be better this year though!!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

oh - should let you know....... Carol - remember when I came to the RU in Calgary, and Inanda (when she lived in Winnipeg) brought some irises? I think it was 3 years ago.... anyway, they're finally blooming! Dark, dark, dark purple...... so beautiful... but for some reason they are very short. Anyway, I'm thrilled. I've never grown irises (my mom used to grow the yellow/brown ones), so this was wonderful to see them bloom!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Afternoon all, what a weekend, worked most of yesterday in the rain cleaning mom's gardens at her cottage and today was kyle's bike-a-thon he does every year for cancer fundraiser..I now am on the couch, covered with my blanket, tired and chilled, not the weather making me cold as it's a sunshine day..guess being tired does that!

Susan, not good about losing some of your pretties..lost a few shrubs and one tree..harsh winter did them in!

Has Bob been able to fill in his days since he's been off work? The part about him having more time to help in the gardens would be a plus! Thoughts will be with you tomorrow as you meet with executive staff re the end of probation period..may you have raving reviews..

"m" only brought home 7 hosta's that grew around her fire pit..have same but they'll be fine as border fillers..

Carol, saved those recipe's as well..don't cook much but always nice having a different recipe to make..I'm a chicken eater as well

Alberta Ann, did you get the snow they werecalling for?? Think I'm going tp key in Alaska weather for fun and see if they maybe are getting the sunshine

Watching trees sway, perhaps it's not me and is cooling, best I turn on the furnace..

Sitting watching the rain fall and listening to the furnace run ... must be NorthWestern Ontario as yesterday we had the AIR on !!
Lorna's folks arrived on a glorious day, marred only by .. MOSQUITOES .. !!! Lordie .. we were siting outside watching the birds at the feeders and we lasted MAYBE half an hour before the mosquitoes chased us inside, with a few tagging along into the house just to make things more interesting ....
Did get some geraniums planted and some tomato plants as well .. but, today looks like a stay inside typa day.

Best get on some rain gear and walk on down for the paper with the dogs .. will take the 'golf umbrella' to try an keep us ALL covered ..

TTFN

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Sunshine day in my neighborhood "M"..bet you didn't want to hear that did you!! I don't want to say that we've NO mosquito's because I have encountered a few but not bad..this year now having the back porch screened in it should make sitting out after supper enjoyable..rain or shine!

the wind has been up more than usual..have 2 stained glass pieces on back deck, one needs repair due to knocking on the wooden frame so this morning I stopped into the hardware store and got 'L' brackets which should eliminate more banging, should have done it as soon as I hung them. Bought some time release miracle grow so tonight I'll scatter amongst the plants, not that the greenery part of the gardens aren't spectacular but it may help flowering.

I'm sure the visit with Lorna's parents is going well and enjoying those home cooked meals.How do you spend your days with them if it's raining???

Well .. not 20 minutes after I posted .. the sun came out, and we are experiencing a beautiful day !!
Were it to rain we'd play cards .. Lorna's folks love a good game of cards .. and we know several games now, so, never a dull moment there.

De frocked my Bleeding Heart today .. because it got hit with the frost last week the flower bearing stems were down and covering up Asiatic Lilies .. can't have THAT !!

Hope the 'L brackets' work for ya .. the wind can surely cause lots of damage ..

Off to get lunch out ..

TTFN

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Glad it cleared up "M"..I have no luck with bleeding heart but my neighbor has some gorgeous white ones...perhaps that's the answer, plant a few facing the same direction. My poor lillies "M" are once again destroyed by the lilly beatle that's about..lost all except one and I'm sure it's about to be din/din ..

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Snow was falling at the farm and at the airport , for those of you who remember Jag on June she gave me a snow report as she was leaving the farm. Some sweet potatoe vines were touched by frost in my yard so I had to cut off damaged bits. Most things that are tender have not left the G house. All my Tomatoes and most of my Coleus are still in there and being protected at night with heat mats and a heater.
I just have to remind myself to be patient , summer will come I just hope I'm awake for it or I may miss it!

Sunday was a lot nicer with a 19 degree day so I was able to do some clean up in the yard along with organizing my shed so finding things is easier.

Carol's chicken reciepe's are good ones and easy is always a good route for me.

My Hosta's are finnaly showing there heads so others should follow soon.
Alberta Ann

Victoria Harbour, ON

Learning so much about my country through you all, wish when I was in school I had found DG, might of gotten me better grades..just unbelievable that you don't get the spring and summer months such as we do..it's almost as though you are in eskimo territory, not quite, I'm teasing but I sure didn't realize how short your seasons are except of course winter..

Ann, you sure know how to keep busy!!

Susan, waiting anxiously for update on today's meeting!!

Guess what showed up as we were eating lunch today .. we were INSIDE .. i can't believe I went out and took the pics, but, the bear was far away .. he has an injured back paw/leg :-(
He hung around for about an hour ... must be careful going out back in the evening and early morning ..

3 pics ..

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Number 2 ...

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Last one

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Victoria Harbour, ON

Wow "M" can be very dangerous with him being injured..if he stayed for an hour then I would imagine he's taken a liking to your place..be watchful..do bears go after dogs?? And yes, you were brave go out to take a photo!

What did your visitors have to say. Lol?

While looking at photo's I'm eyeing rhubbarb leaves...need a few more cement rhubbarb lavers..your leaves look very large, it's just reminded me that if I don't get them done soon I'll miss out this year.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Betty - no meeting today - postponed until tomorrow, but I think this is a non-event.
Nothing's being said about my getting a performance appraisal, and nothing's being said about extending the probation.

It's called 'Elephant Ear Rhubarb' and several people have come for the leaves over the years .. have made a couple of pies this year, just want enough to make a coffeecake.

Re the bear .. I kept the dogs in. as you open our back door you are in their compound .. it's a 4 foot high fence, but am sure Mr Bear could get over it if he wanted to .. caution is the word of the day now ..
When I spoke to the
Bear Tech' on the Bear Hotline, he said the bear would likely be MORE cautious of humans as he was injured and at a disadvantage ..

Susan .. good luck today ..

I should try to get some sleep, I'm tired, but, my shoulders are wide awake !!!

TTFN

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Never heard of rhubbarb elephant ears "M"..what I wouldn't give for a few of those leaves!!!

Bear might be more cautious of humans but I sure wouldn't want to put it to the test...

Susan, best of luck today..they always say no news is good news but I personally would rather know the outcome rather than wonder...

Going to be a hot one today and more so tomorrow...thank goodness I bought that portable A/C unit last Thursday..trying it out..

Was up early this morning and watered the gardens, gave nutrition to the hanging baskets..so would have loved to stay home..this afternoon after work I get a perm, later t.v. Bingo with Ann, so won't even have the evening to sit out. Mosquito's and black flies will miss me..

You know, my forehead is still infected, whatever feasted on me sure had an effect!

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Betty.... TO THE DOC you should go! That is too close to your eyes and brain!

nice Bear "M"

Susan, I don't think employers realize how stressful it is waiting for a review! Hope you have your Non issue review soon.

We had a lovely rain last night was 9 mm's all plants are still in the g house till this weekend. I think it's the latest I have ever been.
Alberta Ann

Victoria Harbour, ON

Alberta Ann, lets hope this week your greenhouse shall be bare and gardens filled with flowers.

Hot and muggy here today, thank goodness they repaired the a/c here at the office.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Just lurking here lately not much exciting going on.
My new computer had a few little issues so Ian came over on Sat and sorted them out. Now I have Windows7 his computer and mine are compatable so he can deal with problems from home which is nice.
Did a shift at Lougheed House on Sunday but only had one tour, other people visiting but wanted to do self guided.
Weather on the weekend was quite nice but not so nice now- cloudy with intermittant showers. At least my grass got cut today. But it is possible to get out and work in the y ard.

On Saturday I had a chance to talk with the adult children of the lady who lived across the street from me - she is in a seniors residence ( Alzheimers) and the house has been sold to a developer so I asked if there were any nice plants. She told me to go look and take what I wanted so I was digging peonies and irises - the peonies about 60 years old. I ended up with 16 pots ( not including the one I kept) and have been busy passing them on.

Yesterday Joan( one of our foster moms) brought foster Buddy over to stay for a week while they are away. In a wierd happening we have actually been contacted by the daughter of the original owner of Buddy ( previously Bunny) so we have learnt his early history.

Saw the oncologist this morning and relieved to hear my hip X-ray and bone scan are fine . I see in the report however there is a note about a couple of possible spinal issues( I have a scoliosis) and so I am wondering if that is also what is causing the hip pain. Since it has nothing to do with the cancer I will go back to my GP and discuss.

Ann I hope you can finally get those plants out!

Betty get thee to the doctor!

This message was edited Jun 7, 2011 6:41 PM

Victoria Harbour, ON

Carol, you must be so relieved that the outcome wasn't 'cancer ' non-the-less, still very painful for you, let's hope meds help ease the pain.

I'm extremely excited Carol, for the very first year (planted about 3 or 4 years ago) are peonies that are flowering in my garden, med. pink tone, kept moving them around as they were doing nothing, finally they've settled in and like their new parcel of land..lol..I'll take a photo when they are open.

What color were you able to get..there are white ones right?

Wonderful that you have more medical information on Buddy..you never cease to amaze me, always taking in dogs for various reasons..so caring!

Weatherman on radio was saying a high heat alert is on and that we may break the past record of high temps of 1950..so glad the a/c seems to be working today or we'd not be able to endure it...maybe not such a good thing as we could ask to go home..lol

Betty, Lorna's parents are SO happy they came here at this time due to the heat back east .. I'd have to bail if there was NO air conditioning ..

Great news Carol .. sure hope your hip pain isn't too unbearable .. have a friend who wants me to try some 'alternative treatments' for my shoulders, I'm such a 'traditionalist' though I don't think it'd be for me ..

Busy, busy here .. did get some gardening in earlier today ... it's only in the 60s here .. umm .. 15C ...

Off I go

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Think we may break a record today..storm blew in about an hour ago, thought we were in for it, but, moved on past us...yes "M" good week for Lorna's parents to be away..picked up a section of a liner to work on a river type drop into another pond, thought I might play tonight with it but think I shall pass!

Susan, any news on your interview?? You've been in my thoughts, please post outcome when able..

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Betty the only color you won't see in a peony is Blue and I am sure somebody is working on that one!

One of the peony's I dug is red, the others- no idea except there were red/pink and white in the back yard says daughter!

I have an appoint. to see my G P tomorrow to discuss the hip pain issue since it is not cancer related

Victoria Harbour, ON

Wow, talk about a severe storm, Rogers cable is down, not quite sure why my iPad is working?? Poor Sailor girl is frantic, keeps this up so shall I be!

Be safe everyone...

Have watched the weather channel off and on .. sure some bad weather down your way Betty .. feel bad for Sailor and YOU!!

I am off to bed .. busy day and another one tomorrow ..

~M~

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Carol
That is good news, was worried for you with not having you post and am thrilled it was computer stuff!
M hope your weather settles, a good thunder storm is amazing but you tire of the blowing and noise after a while and I know how hard it is on the furries.
Betty, hot! and we are not!
Here is my front yard, this is the latest it has been since I can remember. This is usually an April photo not a June one.
Alberta Ann

Thumbnail by annabell52
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Carol - such good news for you - I'm really happy for you!!!

My news isn't so good - I lost my job today "No cause" they said, but it ended at noon.
I was physically sick all afternoon, then went to bed and had leg cramps. My body going through the shock I guess.
Now both of us are unemployed.
Good thing is, the company waited until my probation was over then they gave me severance for 6 weeks pay. Guess they thought enough of me to do that. All they had to give was no notice before the probation was up, and only 2 weeks severance after probation up.
I also have free job counseling, etc. for 1 month and some other stuff I haven't looked thoroughly enough at. Will do that when my brain settles down.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Susan, I'm just sick about your news..Omg you worked so hard and fit in perfectly...what's wrong with those people..£€>¥¥£>|... can't even think of words to express how badly I feel for you.

You and Bob certainly have more than your share od trouble..you are bound to go through different phases of shock...Lordy Susan, just don't know what to say...sending you hugs and prayers!

Alberta Ann, no flowers but sure love your landscaping design

storms were really bad last night..lightening hit my cable box, easily fixed, get another..not sure about the upstairs t.v.? Lots of tree branch debris but that's so minor in the scheme of things.

Overcast this morning, not sure what the weather will bring!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Betty - thanks for the &*O&#@HDF words LOL
You're precious, y'know lol I really appreciate your thoughts and prayers right now.

I was speaking to a friend of mine (she runs a catering service and I met her through the company I worked at). She says not only will she spread my resume around, but she's thinking she could temporarily use my services as an experienced office person, to help make her business more efficient and visible.
She only has word of mouth right now, and it's only her delivering, so it's a tiny business. And it's only her and her sister making the food (her sister is disabled, and apparently not much help -is not knowledgeable about invoices, etc). Who knows - if her business expands, she may be able to hire someone to do deliveries too! This would only be a stop-gap measure as Jackie can't pay much anyway.

BUT I've sent on my resume to her, so we'll see what she comes up with, considering the # of companies she visits each day. One of them has employed her son and a friend of hers, so ya never know!

Victoria Harbour, ON

You are up early Susan, imagine that you didn't get much sleep last night..lots of tossing/turning. Although the catering business your friend has might offer $$$$ it would be a help to keep you busy...you so remind me of my niece, nicest of nicest person you could ever meet, tries to do her best, but if anything is to go wrong, it will happen to her...she's always having to spend her energy being positive about the future! Not sure how you both do it!

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

OMG Susan how awful! Keep your chin up and I KNOW that an opportunity will arrive at your doorstep!.
Alberta Ann

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Sorry to hear your news Susan, hope something else comes up soon for both you and for Bob.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Carol - a friend of mine (neighbour) has taken in a Sheltie and I was telling her about your Sheltie rescue work - she wanted to know if I could pass on your ph# to her - I said I'd ask. She may be interested in taking in another Sheltie. She took in "Angel" and she's getting over being timid.
Or is there a general phone # for Sheltie Rescue here in Calgary?

Holy Cow Susan .. now THAT kinda news can sure take the wind out of your sails !!!
Feel awful for you, but, I also am confident you will find employment quickly ..

Alberta Ann .. just a lovely pic, and, as Betty says the landscaping is beautiful.

Another dinner done .. tomorrow we are off for a ride to the border as i have a parcel to pick up on the American side, will leave Lorna's folks on the Canadian side as neither have a passport. It'll take me 15 minutes MAX to crossover and go to the post office and come back .. then we'll go for lunch in the city.

Still up numerous times during the night .. sometimes wonder where my energy is coming from ?

Take care all

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I just spoke to Betty and got some wonderful advice which I will follow up on, and hopefully it will get us some tax relief!!!!! Thank you, Betty!!

When you get quality qualified advice, it sure is a ton of relief and I feel much, much better. So does Bob!! ^_^

Victoria Harbour, ON

Yikes, let A/C on today, wasn't the best idea, could almost turn on the heat!! What a difference a day makes re temps.

Returned my Rogers Cable box after work as it was zapped in the storm last night..couldn't believe the size of the new one..very micro.glad I've got tv again

"m" amazing, you say 15 minutes to cross the border?? I should cross over in your neck of the woods...as for your drive to the border how long does it take?

Funny how our body and mind refuses to close down from time to time..makes for a long night.

Guess Lorna's parents will soon be on their way home??

Victoria Harbour, ON

Pleasure speaking with you as well Susan..you've been in my thoughts today..overwhelmed when friends are having such a hard go of it...

Don't be too appreciative of the advice, best wait until you get some positive feed back, I'll be praying that to or row you finally get some good news...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.