2011 - 'Spring Secret Hosta Swap' - Sign-Up Below.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

No prob. Matt, my son and gardening assistant, called me the minute they got there, and had them potted up that evening. Now we are going to decide where they should go exactly and they will probably go in tomorrow sometime. Thanks so much,
Martha

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

^_^

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

My box went out today and hope it doesnt hit any of that sticky hot weather. I think it is going to miss it, fingers crossed.
So hope they arrive in good shape. I will dmail the tracking number thing tomorrow. I left it in my car.

GM everyone! Forecast of 101* here for the next 3 days. You all take care if you have heat where you are and stay hydrated.

Lindenhurst, NY

HI, i'm concerned that my swap recipient hasn't rec'd the package i delivered to the post office on Saturday.
When i go to the USPS to track it says it should be delivered on 6/27 -- but nothing else....

Today is the 29th....i think it should have been delivered already. I'm worried the box is lost in limbo???

My box is being delivered today to my buddy.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

And Delivered it WAS!

Thanks to happgarden for 5 lovely hosta.

Blazing Saddles (one of my favorite movies)
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Lemon Lime (to go with my Twist of Lime)
Lakeside Cha Cha
and
Pee Dee Gray Mulkin'

I'm excited to look all of these up and get planted! Thanks Joyce!!

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

What fun names they have.

Hope everything arrived in good shape. We are having miserable weather but I thought I got them out before we hit 100. I did have to remove some leaves because pineapple upside was too big, others I just tried to fold over. Enjoy.

I had to do the same with mine! Love the way you packed them. Everything looks pretty good, Pineapple upside down I'm not sure about since the leaves look like they are supposed to be yellow, LOL. Some are some aren't.

They are in a nice cool house right now though!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I'm with you mittsy! I think the names of the hostas are so funny! But you got a really nice group Mrs Ed. I really like my pineapple upsidedown cake! Colors are really nice on it.

Willamette Valley-OS, OR(Zone 8a)

OK...
Now Let's All Sit and Wait on a Block of Ice for ('happgarden) Joyce's Box to be Delivered.
Seems the Box Took a Left Turn Instead of a Right Turn Stopping for an Alfalfa Ice Cream Cone.
(I Just Bet it's Sitting in a Nice Cold Bucket of Water and Doesn't Want to Move...lol)
The Box Should be in Joyce's Hands Tomorrow(Friday).

Lelan.

This message was edited Jul 1, 2011 1:02 PM

Huntersville, NC

So after receiveing my hostas, I rushed to plant./pot because I was leaving town.

I received a wonderful selection from Mittsy. One was several little snippets of Hosta, Thomas Hogg.

Somehow the name and meaning 'Hogg" were never connected until two days after it was potted.
The darlings were soo cute, all wrapped in moistened paper toweling, truly resemblng new born babies.
I just KNEW these were more MINIS!!!

Two days in the pot and several leaves were singing (and acting): "I'm Coming Out"! (Ahhh . . . How'd they grow soo fast?)
They looked like 4 to 5 inches of stripped ribbon . . . rippling in the breeze !!.
As beautiful & colorful as it sounds and looks - it is NOT the behavior of Mini Hostas.
No. Minis are a more 'polite', 'reserved' and even 'dignified' group!

This wonton rippling in the breeze was H.Thomas Hoggs' . . . getting happy!

Don't get me wrong! I'm happy, he's happy. But upon my return home, He will be happy in a space that will be better suited to accomdate such exhuberance and growth . . . ie. not my mini pot! ROFLOL

Yes, Mittsy you got me on this one!! I promise to do my homework before I pot or plant!
No mater how miniature the arriving hosta - due dilegence will be executed: I will do my homework! ^_^

Lindenhurst, NY

Lelan, thank you for posting the update. I am disappointed in the post office, as you will see i brought this to the post office on Saturday and sent via Priority mail with delivery confirmation. It even says expected delivery date is 6/27. I've never had a pkg take so long, i usually have very good luck shipping on Saturday.

Per USPS website:
Label/Receipt Number: 0310 2640 0002 3365 8450
Expected Delivery Date: June 27, 2011
Class: Priority Mail®
Service(s): Delivery Confirmation™

Your item was processed through and left our KANSAS CITY, KS 66106 facility on June 30, 2011 at 6:18 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

Detailed Results:

Processed through Sort Facility, June 30, 2011, 6:18 pm, KANSAS CITY, KS 66106
Acceptance, June 25, 2011, 11:49 am, LINDENHURST, NY 11757

I sure hope these are still healthy when they arrive...i'm worried about the heat. Happgarden, pls let me know if they arrive tomorrow and if they are healthy. P.S. Pls don't worry, the box is very light because I sent you a collection of minis:-)

An Even 'Bigger Shout Out' and "Thank You" to Bobbi(hostaluver84).
I Feel Like an Idiot...
I Wrote Down the Wrong Hostas in My Hosta Book and...Posted the Wrong Hostas in this Post.

When I Went Outside Low and Behold Were 2 of the Most Beautiful Hostas.
I Keep Looking at Them and that's When I Relized My Mistake (Dumb Me).

I've Got to Tell You About the 2 Hostas I Did Not Post Before...
'Happy Hearts' has the Cutest Little Green Perfectly Green Heart-Shaped Leaves...and...
'Sleeping Beauty'...is Definately Going to be One of My Favorites...Just for the Name Alone.
It Has a Creamy White Edging on Beautiful Long Lance-like Leaves.

Bobbi Sent Me Five(5) Wonderful Hosta Gems.
All 'New' Beauties Added to My Gardens.

My New Precious Beauties
(That...Bobbi Actually Sent Me are):

American Hero. (My Mistake...I am so Dumb)
Dancing Stars. (I am Even Dumber)
Happy Hearts.
Polar Moon.
Sleeping Beauty.
Wagon.

and...
Winfield Blue.

I am so Delighted and Grateful for Your Additions to My Garden.
All Have Had a Long 24-Hour Drink and are Potted Up and Taking in Our Cool Oregon Breezes.
Again...Thank You so Much Bobbi for Your Generosity and Kindness.
These are Just Beautiful!
From Your Mindless Hosta Loving Friend in Oregon.

Lelan.

I wouldn't of know any different! LOL

Oh, Lelan we all have days like that. As I am crowding 70 I find I can't remember as well as I used to so now I write things down on little colorful post its. Unfortunately I usually can't remember where I left the note. Thank you for hosting another wonderful swap. We all appreciate your efforts and want to say THANKS A BUNCH!

Lindenhurst, NY

Hi Happgarden - pls tell me the plants arrived in good shape. (the post office site says they were delivered at 12 this afternoon. I hope they are still healthy.

So very sorry for taking so long Maureen! I just got home, I went shopping with friends all day, then met up with DH and other friends and I just got home. They arrived just fine and getting a big drink of water...only one was a little frazzled but it will be fine! We hit 100 today and yesterday was like 98 and the day before no better, so these little guys are tough! LOL

I got all minis which I love!
Green Elf
Baby Bunting
Lakeside zinger
Stilletto
Sweet Pickles
Tiny Tears
Oh they are sooooo cute.
Sorry for all the worry but they are fine....glad they are home in their swimming pool tho....rofl.
Here is a pic. Hard to take a pic of each one, they are so darn cute and mini.
Honest they are not soaking in Bud...rofl. Just those were the perfect size glass for the mini's.
I love them Maureen, I am starting to get a good collection and I am so glad you added to it.....

Thumbnail by happgarden

Mrs_Ed, I forgot to tell you, yes pineapple upside down cake has bright yellow leaves and then what look like normal leaves...rofl. The bright yellow are normal....LOL Should of said something now that I think about it.

Lindenhurst, NY

Oh I am so happy to hear they are in their new homes and getting a much needed drink....wow you are having hot weather.

I'm so glad you like them and just happy they arrived safely.

take care and enjoy!

Thanks Joyce, good to know. What kind of light do you have it in to keep that nice yellow glow. The green ones are probably just young, right?

Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Thank you Lelan for hosting another great Secret Hosta Swap!

Great plants there happ. I know you are excited to get them! I'm excited with all of my stuff too.

Been out planting ... have a bunch of stuff I bought at 50% off that I need to get potted or planted. Told myself that I would work until it got to be 100*, then I would stop until evening. Well, it's only 99* but my body told me to quit and rest. ^_^

Have a great day and a very happy and safe July 4th. Thank a service man if you see one .... they really love to hear that.

Charlotte, VT

Terrific idea Crit! We really can't thank them enough.

Mrs_Ed those are a new hosta I bought so I am not sure about getting yellow, yellow. Had it about 30 days in pots. In the nursery course they were under screening stuff, at my house they got morning sun and some late late afternoon sun and one just didn't get any sun at all, so maybe they just do that....sorry not much help.

Question I have an east window over the sink and the cutest rolling pin planter probably fromt he 1950's. Do you suppose it would be possible to plant a mini hosta in it? Tried herbs and they just got too darn big. I just ran across it out in the garage and I sure would like to find something to work in it.

Loved the swap as usual, I have been lucky enough to participate several times and it is always well ran and a great swap.

Thumbnail by happgarden

That is an adorable planter. Lucky you!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Yes, Lelan! Thanks again for hosting such a nice swap as per usual. I have really enjoyed planting a nd arranging my new garden spot... Did a huge amount of work as so sore for three days could hardly move. But the effort was all worth it ;) My new hostas look amazing, Thanks again Lelan. Ronna

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

My thanks also! It's great to get to know our fellow DG'ers a little better. Yes you can grow a mini in that planter. I have a cute one that looks like a squash. It has no drainage so you have to be careful not to overwater. I also have a terracotta pot that looks like a cereal bowl. this has drainage. If you put them back outside, you need to put them in the ground or in an outdoor pot because the winter weather can wreck the ceramic planters. I do this for centerpieces for my outdoor table in the summer on my deck. I have used Allan P. McConnell, Stiletto, lemon lime, Sea Wiggles and Lakeside Zinger and once had one with Cherish and Cat's eyes in it. Any mini will do.
Martha

Thank you Martha, I sure didn't see why I couldn't do it, this will be so much fun having it in the planter indoors. I have a shelf that goes around the kitchen and the decor is mostly old stuff and a lot of advertising stuff, nothing of any value but fun to me.

I am so appreciative of the Hosta I received in this swap. I just finished with my 2 Hosta beds and got everything planted. I'm so happy to have it done. They look so nice. ^_^ I'm going to take pictures of them tomorrow. I received some in another swap and they all look so good together!

Can any of you hosta intelligent people tell me what hosta this is? I grew it from seed that I received in a seed swap. I remember seeing it, I think here, and really liked with the scalloped edges. Thanks!

Thumbnail by Crit

Not Hosta. Looks like a foxglove to me.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/2526/

Oh how disappointing ..... I thought it was a hosta. :-(

Oh well, foxglove are pretty. Thanks for the info

OK Everyone...We Are Done!
This Went Very Smooth.
Thank You Everyone for Participating.

If You are Interested...
There Will be Another E-O-S(End-of-Summer) Hosta Swap in the Middle of August that Runs and Ends Around Labor Day.
It is Also a Lot of Fun!

Have a Great Summer Everyone!

Lelan.

Thank you Lelan. Great job!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.