2011 - 'Spring Secret Hosta Swap' - Sign-Up Below.

Charlotte, VT

Crit I'm very happy that you love the hostas. I'm sorry that I Dmailed you to tell you what you were getting. I guess I got a little too excited as well and when I had to make a substitution on my have list I wanted to make sure that you were ok with that. Frances Williams' scape looks even better now then when I packed it up! I got the taping to the bottom of the box idea from someone that sent me a hosta in last years swap. Hosta lovers have great iideas.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Mines gone out today, chock full.

Tomah, WI(Zone 4a)

Woo Hoo got a box in the mail today and I want to thank Rose for sending Frosted Mouse Ears, Silver Threads and Golden Needles and a very nice size Clovelly with the bloom stalk intact. Even Frosted Mouse Ears is going to bloom. They are in pots now but couldn't wait to take a picture lol. Thanks again Rose!

Thumbnail by hostaluver84
Huntersville, NC

YAAAAY! I got my box!

I must admit this Carolina heat had them greatly appreciating their long drink and breather in their new home!

Blue Mouse Ears, Golden Tiara, Pearl Lake, Lemon Lime, Quilting Bee, Thomas Hogg and Fire & Ice; what a line up!

Plus I got an Japanese Iris with Culture Sheet . .for good behavior??!! lol

I'm pleased to report my box has been sent to my swap buddy; due to arrive around 3pm tomorrow.
Thank heavens for express mail. While it is not currently over 90, tomorrow has no guarantees. :)

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Hostaluver84,

Glad to see that the flower didn't snap off of Clovelly. I tried to be really careful when I packed it.

Rose

84, Love that photo of the plants Rose sent you. Reminds me of seeing a big Rotweiller dog with a little Schitzu!

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

My swap buddies box will be delivered on Saturday. If you won't be around or don't use a door they may leave it by, be sure to check around. :-)

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

My box was shipped south yesterday =) Could arrive tomorrow or Saturday!

Let's see, I guess mine went northish. Maybe it won't be hot there when they are delivered.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Wow love all the hosts everyone got! Don't you just love the names of some of them. They just crack me up sometimes! I know I have clovelly on my list I really like the piecrust edges... Have to make a tip to ONE of my favorite little greenhouse and get if they have it this year... First I have to make some room. Will be busy this weekend I hope plant and taking out ground cover. Ronna

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Haha, Ronna, I have the day off and was just making a map of all the local greenhouses (and Lowe's to see what's on clearance) that I can search for perennials. I only buy hostas online or at Telly's, but I want to redo a couple beds with other stuff while the ground is still well-watered from all our rain. Now I'm off to get my allergy shots then shop for plants!

And my hosta package made it to the destination post office this morning =) I'm guessing it will get delivered tomorrow.

Charlotte, VT

Where I live it's been wet which makes it a great year for transplanting. Bad weather for farming, good weather for blight, bad weather for outside recreation and no irrigation needed this year. Mother Nature can never please everybody! At least my hostas are happy.

Funny Hell, I was thinking along those lines the other day. Good weather for weeding, bad weather for mosquitos; good weather for the water bill, bad weather for the wet carpet in the basement. :D

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Eleven,

My delightful package arrived today on my day off. I am so glad, too, because we won't be home tomorrow when the mail runs.

I got Blonde Elf, Pilgrim, Patriot, Lemon Lime, Allegan Fog and Dixie Chickadee.

You did great! I have none of these. Allegan Fog is one I loved but lost! Dixie Chickadee is adorable. I love them all. They are all potted up and here's a pic but I could have found a better back and front drop!

Brenda

Thumbnail by plantnutz
Lindenhurst, NY

Wooohooo...i got a great box of hostas from Gardenmart yesterday when i got home from work.
Thank you so much for the lovely:

GOLDEN DROP
LAKESIDE ZINGER
ELF

I don't have any of these and i love all 3 of them. I even shared a piece of 2 of them with my new friend and fellow gardener who lives in my town. She loves hostas too.
Martha - your notecard was so pretty and chock full of info....what a treat.
Mine are all now planted into the gardens in their new spots. LOVE THEM!!

I'm digging mine today after i take my son to the Dr..............my swapee will be getting theirs early next week.....sorry i'm a major procrasinator. If anyone hasn't gotten their package and likes any of the 3 above let me know and i will add it into your package if your my swapee.

Charlotte, VT

50Glee your beautiful hostas arrived today. You must have ESP because you sent Earth Angel which is a hosta that died over the winter. I don't think that the hail damage is that bad especially since more leaves will be added over the summer. No worries. You gave me 5 hostas, Earth Angel, Brother Stefan, Toy Soldier, Blue Angel and Minuteman. You were so generous that I am going to give one of them to a cousin of mine who's going through a tough time. Beverly you've made me ecstatic and my cousin will be happy too. Thank you for your generosity!

Lelan thank you for making this possible again this year. You are THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Glad you like them Maureen. In a year or so you will have enough Gold Drop to share with your entire town. It's Green Elf which you have to call it because there is also a Golden Elf. This hosta has always performed well for me. Lakeside zinger was my new toy hosta before I entered the swap. Enjoy the plants!
Martha

Huntersville, NC

Thanks Helen!

Earth Angel is one of my favorites!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I have had an earth angel for a couple years now. Is it a slow grower? Mine I think only had three or four leaves. Love the coloring of it. Ronna

Lindenhurst, NY

Ok, my hostas were dug and delivered to the post office earlier today.

Special note to my recipient:
The box is as light as a feather......................but don't worry it's got a nice collection of six (6) different minis.
I saw you liked minis.

What a great swap -- any plans for a fall swap? I'm in:-)

Huntersville, NC

fall swap?? . . . Fall Swap?? Did I read FALL SWAP??
Oh! How much Happiness Can Be Enjoyed! But let me finish all proprieties of this swap first!
(Some folks just don't know HOW to behave! ie . . . ME!) ROFLOL

Thank you Mittsy for your thoughtful selection! I DO believe you DID some 'homework'!
I LOVED your DG customized note paper with your picture! NICE!!
(I'm soo envious. I tried some 'note print effort' but it wasn't as nice or informative as yours!)

I've got to ask: How do you, Mittsy, and Lelan make your tags?? I NEED to make some!

As I was dividing hostas, I see tags from Lelan, 2009; still black, dark & clear!!
What do you use as a marker, ink??

My box is in the north-ish area and went out for delivery this morning. I guess maybe it was more north-east-ish. If you are there, be on the watch!

Glee, you have to use a PAINT sharpee. However, I have a Ptouch laminated label maker that seem to last a longgggg time.

I wonder if my dymo labelmaker labels will last as well. May paint one side and label the other until I see

If you can buy laminated tape, then yup, it will last well.

I just got the clear plastic lable tape, is that going to work?

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Yay, I got my hostas box today! I was actually working in the garden planting some new perennials and didn't realize I had mail until around dinnertime. Oops.

Mrs_Ed sent was *so* generous! She sent me:

Deja Blue - yay! I love it already
Tick Tock - adorable, and it's blooming
Just So - looks like a small, will be interesting to watch it grow
Twist of Lime - a cutie, of course
Lancifolia - an oldie but goodie that I didn't have yet
Chartreuse seedling - the note says it's similar to Fragrant Bouquet but smaller, I think it looks both greener and sturdier than my FG, I like it!
Blue Frances Williams seedling - lovely dark blue
Sedum ternatum - nice little rock garden plant, yay!

Thank you so much, Mrs_Ed!! Sorry no pics yet, I couldn't take any today because I accidentally locked my camera card. Tomorrow I hope to get some planted =)

Wooops on the card, Eleven. Hope you enjoy them all and they made it okay.

Crit, I'm not sure. Guess there's a way to find out though…

May just have to trial and error. Print a tag, but also paint pen the other side and see if it holds up.

My buddies box was delivered at 5:05 yesterday afternoon. I hope she found it!

The bad thing about my paint pen is that the pen itself did not hold up as long as I had hoped. Maybe I was pushing too hard on the tip. But the label maker has its drawbacks too. spend money on the labels and I don't like the waste (lots of space before and after).

Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

When I use a label maker I type in a name, then four spaces, another name, four spaces, until I fill the memory. Then I print all of the names at once and use scissors to cut them apart. This way you get more out of the tape without having so much wasted at the begining and end of each name when you print individual names.

Just lurking here to see all the cool hostas and wanted to say thanks for the idea on the lable make,, I hate wasted tape too! So thanks again!!

Franknjim, I've tried that, it works with one-line labels but not with two. Even when I did the math calculations, lol.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I also have a brother lable maker and I love it. Have to get some more tape now but I will soon. The lables last and last! Even here in the coldest state on the planet! lol.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

I gave up and bought aluminum strips and an engraving tip for a roto tool. Other than not being a great engraver they last forever. LOL

Charlotte, VT

I love the labeling ideas and I'd also like to know what you attach the labels to. I tried etching copper labels last year, but they turned green over time which makes the labels hard to read now. I was thinking about getting an alphabet metal stamp kit. I'm just wondering if the thin copper label would be destroyed when I stamp them. What do you think?

I put my labels on the vinyl mini blinds. I have some of the metal markers too, but not many. I don't mind the vinyl because they are not for public viewing as much for me to remember what is what. :D

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Dear Patti,
All hostas arrived in perfect order! Thanks so much! I will get to meet them in person tomorrow evening as I will be returning from my southern trip {washington, dc and greenville, NC} Tomorrow afternoon. My son was constantly reminded by me from the day before I left until the day they actually got there about what to do with them and he has potted them up already. He's probably glad they arrived also but for vastly different reasons than mine!
Thanks again!
Martha

Glad they made it. If I had realized you weren't going to be home, I could of waited to send, but we are in the triple digets here all week and wanted to get them sent off.

Willamette Valley-OS, OR(Zone 8a)

A 'Big Shout Out' and "Thank You" to Bobbi(hostaluver84).
I Received My Hosta Box on Friday, June 24th.

Bobbi Sent Me Five(5) Wonderful Hosta Gems.
All 'New' Beauties Added to My Gardens.

My New Precious Beauties
(That Bobbi Actually Sent Me are):

American Hero. (My Mistake...I am so Dumb)
Dancing Stars. (I am Even Dumber)
Happy Hearts.
Polar Moon.
Sleeping Beauty.
Wagon.

and...
Winfield Blue.

I am so Delighted and Grateful for Your Additions to My Garden.
All Have Had a Long 24-Hour Drink and are Potted Up and Taking in Our Cool Oregon Breezes.
Thank You so Much Bobbi for Your Generosity and Kindness.
They are Just Beautiful!

Lelan.

This message was edited Jul 1, 2011 1:09 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.