My Rion Greenhouse

Hollywood, FL(Zone 11)

I have finally have a greenhouse and its almost finish, need to finish putting weather stripping all around.

What is everyone have for shelving?

Thumbnail by gaseedgrower
St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Ohhh, you got a big one, lucky dog. I use wire closet shelving on stacked concrete blocks, and one rolling cart with shelves that was a covered portable greenhouse. I have one rain gutter screwed onto one wall for winter greens, it gets to hot in the summer.

Hollywood, FL(Zone 11)

Thanks Cathy4. Its 25 feet long when we measure the finish foundation. Was a pain to pick the roof up, we have to call friends to come help. It took 8 grown men, wasn' t heavy is just awkward because of the length. I'll do the concrete blocks too that way I can move it if I need room for winter storage.

That's exactly why I like the blocks. Hubby changes them for winter storage. He used a pipe across the wire supports for hanging plants on one side.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

It looks like you have the same thing as me but mine is white. :) I actually had two smaller white ones and decided to join them when I relocated them. I ended up putting the roof together in 3 pieces then had two of my teenage daughters help me set it on and I finished it once it was up.

Some of my shelves are lumber with green wire fence tops and some are pvc since I had shelf tops from one of those little cheaper greenhouses. The legs rusted out put a friend suggested pvc.

Here is a picture of mine before I had much in it. I've filled it twice now already. LOL

Thumbnail by Badseed

lusting here, we lost a big old tree in a tornado, I have the room now but I don't think our codes would allow it.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

Here's what my Rion looks like after "The Big Storm". Homeowners insurance covered it, but not enough $ to replace it. Goodbye to my old friend of 6 years.

Thumbnail by pastime

How sad, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh no!! Which parts are beyond repair? Did something fall on it or was it the winds? Strangely, they are now telling me, wind damage is not covered. They also told me the automatic openers are not recommended for high wind areas. Why'd they sell me 5? LOL

You can buy parts if there is not enough to salvage. There is a limited 7 year warranty on the Rion greenhouses. I just bought enough parts to turn my two smaller ones into a larger one. I can't say it was really cheap but it wasn't awful either.

So sorry to see what happened.

If I was re-doing a greenhouse, I'd make a solid north side at least 3/4 of the way up and around the bottom foot. I wonder if you have enough left for 3 sides?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

To be totally honest, if I had to start over, I'd buy a metal frame or use treated lumber, invest in a blower motor and use two layers of plastic.

The Rions are only 4mil, have lots of gaps and unfortunately, wasps just love nesting in all those tubes. :( They look very nice, are pretty easy to put up and everyone compliments them but they are hard to heat.

I advise everyone to caulk as many of the little holes as you can. I had wanted to use spray insulation in the tubes when I put it back up but it wasn't in the budget. I experimented with cutting up a fun noodle (pool toy) and it worked well to fill the gaps. Cutting more is on my to do list!

We did caulk a lot, it made a huge difference on heating.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

Most of the tubes that make up the sides of the GH were snapped off at the base when it fell over. Lots of pieces are cracked and jagged. From my kitchen window I watched it swaying back and forth in the wind, like a old drunk, and could do nothing but wait for the inevitable. Luckily there were no plants in it. I had lined them out in the fall. I found all but 6 windows and the doors were saved. Rion does sell a three sided GH. That may be the answer. I could attach it to the side of the barn where there's more protection.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

How awful that you had to sit there and watch it go. :( How bad was that storm??

I forgot the Rion does now sell a lean to! I have no idea how much they are but that might indeed be a good option for you.

Wish you the best of luck!

Belvidere, IL(Zone 5a)

That's just terrible you must have been going through some pretty bad winds. I know we have been having lots of wind and rain here in Belvidere. Sorry you have to go through this.
Nancy

Hollywood, FL(Zone 11)

pastime, so sorry to hear about your greenhouse. I am just praying nothing bad happen to mind since I have waited a long time for mind.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

gaseedgrower,

I feel really bad that we only showed you the bad things or told you about them. I do hope you got some shelving ideas and can also use some of the tips.

I know how it is to wait and wait and FINALLY get your greenhouse! I think you will get much enjoyment from it. Do make sure to seal up any gaps while you are trying to keep heat in.

I put large Christmas lights in mine one year and it's very pretty all lit up. :)

Enjoy!!

Michele

Hollywood, FL(Zone 11)

Hi everyone!!!!!! I don't have enough weather stripping to do one whole side. I guess Rion did not send me enough and when I called and told what the problem, they told me I need to purchase it. They charge .75 cents per foot for that. I would rather not to order that if there is another solutions.

I am very grateful for any suggestions/ideas "please".

Thanks,

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

We made shelving for our greenhouse out of two by fours with wire screening on top. There is also a shelf about a foot off the floor, made of wood. We have two of those, almost eight foot long, to go along the sides, and then there's a potting bench in the back which is also handy for storage. We made those originally for our 8x8 Rion greenhouse, but it got battered in a windstorm after about five years of our using it, so we gave it to our lawn guy and got a metal and glass one instead. We found one the same size so we could use the same foundation and other accessories. I think it's a bit tighter than the Rion, but I don't see it as any easier to heat.

We caulked in the places where I couldn't get the weather stripping in, I have bad hands.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Are you talking about the black rubber for the glazing or the puny piece of sticky foam they send? If it's the black rubber stuff, tell them baloney and make them send it. If it's the gray foam tape, it's cheaper to get it at a hardware store. I had to laugh at the gray foam piece they sent. Obviously they have never tried to fill ever gap! You'd have to fill between the corners of EVERY roof piece!

Hollywood, FL(Zone 11)

Badseed, yes that darn black rubber glazing.

cathy4.....both of my hands had surgery few years ago due to carpal tunnel(hope that spelled right).

Thanks guy's.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

If they didn't send you enough, I'd demand they send more. You have to have it to hold the windows in. If they shorted you, they owe you! How much do you need? I have lots of spare parts unfortunately. I'm not sure how much I have left but I do have some.

I had to order some stuff to put mine back up and of course the people that sell the Rions are not the same people I bought from. One of the things I needed was more T pins to hold the tubes together. They insisted one bag was enough. I wanted to order 2 and wasn't sure why they'd turn down the sale. Sure enough, one bag was enough for 1/2 of the bigger greenhouse. I had to call and have a second one shipped. Grrr.

Those black rubber strips go in much easier if you mix a bit dish soap into some water and dip them first.

Dumb question...you did separate the rubber into 2 pieces before you put it in right? Just checking. LOL

Hollywood, FL(Zone 11)

Badseed......not a dumb question, and yes we separate it and dip in soapy water. I measured it and comes up to 78ft. total. It is the whole one side plus half of the front. I am going to call Rion costumer service later today. They also have not sent some parts originally, keep saying it is back order.

I am hoping they are not going to give me much run around, that can be a pain.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Just for clarification, you bought a brand new Greenhouse kit and they want to charge you for what they shorted you and other stuff is on back order? I'd start throwing a fit.

Who did you order it from? Several places sell them now. The company that I bought mine from was the company importing them from Israel. They no longer have the contract. Are you dealing with Backyard Living? If I understood correctly, they now have the contract. I believe they can also make the parts on site.

You've obviously had your greenhouse up since at least May 7th, which means you ordered before that. In my opinion, that is unacceptable!

Since I showed you a picture of mine empty, I thought I'd show you a picture of it from a few days ago. Mind you, I've already taken out about 4 dozen perennials, several small rooted shrubs, 68 trays of vegetables (and the 16' of shelving they were on), a couple dozen hanging baskets of wave petunias, about 8 flats of daylily seedlings and then some. This is the second time it has been completely full. I'm telling you this because despite some of the downfalls we mentioned, you can do very well with this greenhouse. :) You can also see I got creative when I needed more shelving. LOL

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hollywood, FL(Zone 11)

I bought it brand new from Greenhouses.com on line. The greenhouse packaged came from Backyard Living Source Inc. and that is who I have been calling to check the status on back order. Just got off the phone with costumer service rep. She said I need to fill the form with total ft. I need for the weather stripping/glazing.

I can't wait to have mine at least half the look like yours.....thanks for showing what you have inside your greenhouse, I love it.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

If they do not do right by you, raise a fuss. All the little things I needed have been replaced but I had to buy most of the parts and pay shipping on some that I felt should have been under warranty. When you are up against the wall, you do what you have to. Hmph. Yours is new and it should come with everything.

Tomato and pepper plants that came out of the greenhouse at the end of April.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Perennials that came out a few weeks ago.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Whole bunch of daylily seedlings. Some I sprouted in there and the others I decided could sprout outside since they had come out of the fridge.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

An order I delivered last week to a friend.

Like I said, you are going to have a great time! You can produce a lot of plants if your timing is right and you be creative. Now if the weather would cooperate. LOL

Thumbnail by Badseed
Sasakwa, OK

Does anyone know where I can buy some replacement parts for my Rion on greenhouse?

This message was edited Apr 18, 2020 4:25 PM

Boonies, SD(Zone 4b)

I would go online and see if there was a dealer close by. If not, then call the company.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.