How would I control bamboo?

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

Someone around here is offering free 10 ft bamboo for the digging. I would love to have some but hear horror stories about it's invasiveness. I have an extremely low budget (on unemployment) and also rent from my roommate so I would not want to put much money into barriers and she would not be paying for it, but also would not want to do anything to cause great grief to my roommate who owns the house or to the neighbors. What do you suggest?

Does it need full sun or will partial sun work? Would it shoot right through trash bags if I planted them in the bags and into the ground (full sun back yard)?

If I plant some in the front yard garden bed in a 5 gallon in partially shady area will it live well but stay around 5ft-ish?

Are the roots destructive to pipes or anything underground?

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Probably not the answer you want, but I think it depends. It depends on the kind of bamboo you are going to dig up. For instance, you would approach containing clumping and running bamboos very differently and the type of bamboo would determine whether it would handle being in a small container like a 5-gallon bucket. If it is a running bamboo, trash bags would not be an effective barrier at all.

If I were in your situation, I don't think I would buy the bamboo because I think you would need to spend some money on containment and since you are renting from a friend, I wouldn't risk that friendship by planting something potentially aggressive like bamboo in their yard without the proper containment in place.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

My guess is that anyone with all that bamboo free for the digging has running bamboo, not clumping. I agree with GardenSox, I wouldn't do it, there's way too much potential for it to cause problems.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

Thats kinda what I thought. Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.