Do these Cannas look like they have the virus?

Shirley, IN

I dont mean to but into this thread but I just planted cannas in my yard that I bought in packages from walmart. I am afraid they will have this virus . I was wondering if I plant them from seed can they still carry the virus?

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

yep seeds can carry the virus also. Just keep an eye on them, if there streaky or spotted pull them out and burn them

Shirley, IN

the cannas I got from walmart have the leaves now and they have yellow lines through them that almost look like veins, they are very pale green . Are the leaves of health ones then suppose to be darker green and no lines through them ? any good sorce out there for seeds?

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Brought this from another thread to be seen here, also.

-------------------

Many have spent A LOT of time and effort trying to eradicate virus from an infected plant.
It is better to grow clean healthy plants, be ever watchful, and stay as far away from infected stock as possible.

Even Longwood Gardens seems to have gone the same route as we did.
There is some valuable information in the read here, also, that we can all learn more:
http://longwoodgardens.wordpress.com/2010/08/24/canna-we-sav...

--------------

Victoria, TX(Zone 9a)

Very interesting read Alice, Thanks so much.

Melbourne, FL

Interesting article. Good news that the problem is being worked on. Hopefully it will mean a re-birth of non-virused Cannas in the near future.

Shirley, IN

Thank you for posting the pictures mine do have the virus so I will pull them out . do I need replace the soil where they were growing? I dont have any canna seeds right now but I would like to start them from seed if I knew the seed was from non virused cannas. But I dont know a good source to buy from.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

They don't have seeds but Brent and Becky's Bulbs have non virused cannas. Their website says that and they don't have a really big selection like they use to because of the virus.

I have some tall orange ones I would trade if anyone is interested.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.