Do these Cannas look like they have the virus?

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

If you have patience and can transplant liners I would go with http://www.ag3inc.com/Plants.asp?ID=9 they tissue culture their canna's to ensure virus free

Norristown, PA

Thanks for the info about sources -- I'll do both. I can get the mature cannas for this year and try the liners in pots. I'd rather start out safe and not be sorry in the future!

Thanks!

Sharon

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Tissue culture cannot get rid of some of the viruses. Some cannas have not been able to be tissue cultured "clean".
Some also do not replicate well in tissue culture. Some old cannas we will unfortunately never see offered clean again.
It's been a tricky situation to get clean cannas available again, but several of us have been working to that direction, and it is getting there :)

Those still putting out virused cannas are not helping the clean growing effort.

Do the clean growers a favor .. refuse to buy virused cannas and let that seller know they should not be still offering them.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Abutilon sorry - forgot about your work in that area duh - pssst - Sharon - check out this site... http://www.karcheskycanna.com/

there you didn't toot your own horn...I did :)

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

I will take some pictures in the next few days. How does one get a virus? Is is spread by an infected canna touching a healthy one? Does it stay in the ground? This particular one I am thinking of is in a pot. Should I get rid of the pot? I love cannas and hate to see this happening. Sorry for so many questions.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

there is a lot of speculation that insects that suck on plants are carrying the disease like aphids etc....when you have time read the link above from Plants Delights - Tony's got a ton of info (skip down towards the bottom to get to the nitty gritty)

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

I would get rid of all the dirt in the pot wash the pot very well with soap and water and maybe even wipe it down with bleach or even rubbing alcohol (to kill any bug that could be hiding out somewhere. the virus is from touching infected one weather its bugs, or your tools.. I'm not 100% if it stays in the dirt but why take that chance..

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

For most of the virus, if you don't keep virused cannas around, then it is not there to spread to clean. CaYSV spreads very quickly and has been the most devastating to cannas in the last years.

A local grower not far from me has grown gorgeous clean President for many years. It is the only canna he has ever grown. He is far from everyone so never near any other cannas. I laughed when I was in his greenhouse he had aphids on his tomatoes right next to the cannas. An organic grower, he said he always has a few aphids on his tomatoes in spring. As he is far away and not exposed to virused cannas, I assume there is no virus in proximity to spread .. because if it was in his aphids tract, it should spread. So I now tease him about his pet aphids :P

Thank you, Sharon.
That is my old site, Sharon, I tried to take down because I cannot access to update. But they took the money out for the next increment, so it is still up ): I have been putting them on my Blog for now until I get that resolved: http://karcheskycannablog.blogspot.com

Virus spreads easily enough in live tissue. Touching, cutting, bugs, etc. and in live virused tissue left in the ground where a clean plant will be in contact.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

"Butterfly Brocade" is gorgeous Alice!!

does the virus eventually kill them?

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

No just makes them grow funny, maybe not bloom and look like crap when they grow.. Some people have said they dont mind the streaking in the leaves and keep them anyways, and thats fine just dont share them or plant them around others cannas as the virus will spread.. I however say kill them all, lets get rid of it once and for all..

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

http://www.cooltropicalplants.com/Canna-pests-and-diseases.html just read this and thought i would share

this is my first year with cannas, now i am worried and am going to go check all of them. i would agree with killing the virused ones to stop the spread. also, if it makes them stop flowering then what would be the point of keeping nonflowering virused plants? i live in an isolated area, no close neighbors and no one gardens, so i dont think i could have unknowingly spread it, if i have it, could I? i just had my first one bloom yesterday so this is really disconcerting. maybe i dont even have it, but still upsetting to think people are profiting by selling diseased plants. well, better go look before getting upset. thanks

sorry, just read the link that was just posted. one more question-the brown line at the end of the leaf is or is not part of the virus thing? looks like the healthly leaf also had it, just trying to be certain because i know some of mine have that brown on the edge. very thin but there.

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

the streaking will burn up in the sun. I have also read that in full sun the the streaking is worse and will burn up alot faster then healthy ones.. I would recommend if you add any canna to a collection pot it first and have it FAR away from other cannas, also have separate tools for those.. If possible even in a green house/room alone.. The healthy leaf is edged in red that may look brown but its red.. the healthy leaf is what you should be looking for as far as veins ectt.. not all will have red edges

thank you. as far as i can tell i dodged the virus bullet but not going to buy any others just in case.

Norristown, PA

Abutilon/Alice -- looked at your current site (blog) and I get paid Friday -- going to see what I really, really want and what I can afford!

The other company that sells liners does have some labeled as Virus Indexed and Negative -- that is comforting.

Sharon

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

I will be ordering next spring from you too.. Now that i'm moving over there i can get them shipped...

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Here is my pictures. I am positive it has the virus. It has a tag in the pot saying Tropicana Sunrise. There is a hibiscus coming back in the same pot so I pulled out what I could till I get the hibiscus transplanted. I hope my others have not gotten infected.

Thumbnail by ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Another picture. I sure hat throwing plants away....:o(

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Another picture. I sure hate throwing plants away....:o(

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Whoops same picture.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

ilovejesus99, I'm no expert on cannas but those leaves look like mine did. Please wait for someone with more experience to take a look and give their opinion.

My cannas went in the garbage today. :(

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Ok I will wait and see. Sorry yours had the virus. :o(

Victoria, TX(Zone 9a)

Well, for what it's worth.... Mine appear to be fine. And to think I was trying to get rid of these plants at one time, but they kept growing back even stronger. Now I am glad they did, because I highly doubt I would find any disease free ones easily unless I did mail order from some of the links here.
Good Luck everyone, with your cannas.

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Mine is the 65th reply to this thread, but it has had 434 views ... lol
Thanks for starting this this post, Toni. And everyone elses' input, also.
It's been a good one :)))

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

can anyone tell me if mine above have the virus?

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

ilovejesus99, I cannot see the leaves well enough to tell.
If you take a leaf and hold up to the light so it shines through, you can usually see symptoms.
In a clean healthy canna leaf you should not have that.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9a)

For what it's worth I am assuming mine are fine.I looked at pics from links everyone was kind enough to post and also from your own examples and compared them to the pics of my leaves. I rarely luck out like this so I am a happy gal.
For Those of you with virused ones... I feel your pain, best of luck replacing them.

Good grief had to edit for spelling.. Sorry it's an OCD thing..........

This message was edited May 25, 2011 10:49 PM

Norristown, PA

You guys -- I'm sitting here after being in a doctor's office last night looking at Country magazine. I got to a picture of a garden with a container of cannas -- which look as if they had the virus despite a bloom stalk developing. Lots of flowers, lots of variety, and I zoom in on the cannas and diagnose!

S.

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

The Pink Beauty I've had in the past, has green leaves. I see them listed on a site, looking to be diseased, but the description for Pink Beauty states it's a variegated leaf. Has a newer one been developed or are they leading people to believe their diseased canna are now "variegated" canna??

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

'Pink Beauty' should have solid green leaves.

If questions about how virus should look, google 'canna virus', virused cannas' and click on the images 'button'.
Not all the photos that will show virus, but many do to compare any symptoms you might see.

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

That's what I was under the assumption of...that nothing had been modified with Pink Beauty, and that it still has the same green solid leaves it always had. Which now makes me even more angry that a large well known company is selling virused canna as a variegated leaf, and spreading the disease.

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

I googled to see what it looks like (i dont have one, was just curious) and 3 sites have the same picture. I think they just use the picture they can find rather then taking one, and all 3 look to have the virus
http://www.dutchbulbs.com/store/cannas/60428
http://www.veseys.com/ca/en/store/springbulbs/cannas/dwarfcannas/dwarfcannapink
http://www.naturegay.com/canna-dwarf-pink-beauty-spring-bulb
but then again since they are all the same picture who knows what there plants look like

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

All of these websites have the same picture.
http://www.naturehills.com/product/canna_dwarf_pink_beauty.aspx
http://www.amazon.com/Dwarf-Canna-Pink-Beauty-bulbs/dp/B004P9QTOI
http://www.kvbwholesale.com/store/cannas/60428?kvb=87tv1nfhic7e2rbcudlnd2h9e7
http://www.paradisegarden.com/shop/product.php?id=PGB2976&browse=1
http://www.yardlover.com/pink-beauty-dwarf-canna-lily

I was at a Lowe's store Sunday and they had some cannas in pkgs marked down 75%. As I stood in line I decided it was not worth the 2.00 to see if they had the virus and take a chance infecting the ones I have. It was a great price but not worth what it could cost in the long run.
Sad to see places passing off ones with virus as variegated.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9a)

Good Grief! I am amazed how many companies are passing along that virused pink beauty. That's just outright sad.

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

They might not be.. I think the problem is they just put up a picture.. However having said that i wouldn't buy any of them just because of the picture..

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

They all say bright green variegated foliage. As far as I know it is not variegated. Really sad if anyone buys these or any virused one eventually all cannas could be affected.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9a)

Just bumping this thread to the top, because it's gone a bit without comment and I feel this is a VERY important Topic!

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

No only is the k. van bourgondien canna virused, someone i know ordered the Canna Stuttgart. We were going to do a trade. when shes got it they were all black, so she sent them to me to see if they could grow.. they had no white at all, just shrived black sticks, i guess would best decribe them.. all 3 roots in the package were like this.. I will never order from the big companies again for cannas, thats 3 times now they were black messes.. we have a few good sources here on daves and only they will from now on get my business.. People are better then a company, you can believe them and know they will do there best to keep clean cannas in there stock.. Big companies only care about the $$..
jen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.