Building a Home

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Wonderful to be 'weather-tight'!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Looks great!!!

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Thank You Thank You. Hubby gets all the credit. I just watched.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I bought an old used 2eye cast iron wood burning stove heater. It's got a little rust on it. It needs some cleaning done. Have to treat the cast iron with some stuff that i forgot the name of. I will take pictures of it tomorrow. It is still sitting in my truck. I couldn't wait to say something about it. It is a little smaller than what I would really like. I only paid $150 for it. It should handle 24 inch long logs. I was so excited to find someone who had one for sale. Can't make up my mind if I want to buy a bigger one for the living room and put that small one in my office or - what! It would be so very nice to have one in the office. It would heat our master bedroom at the same time. Hmmmmm.

Vernon, AL

sounds like a plan ....

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Your wheels are always turning. :)

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

I really love this channel.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Oh me too! Cricket, I've been following along & love your approach to things. So much talent & a way with words.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Thank You Thank You.

Here is my little heater. Hubby is afraid that it's design will let some smoke out into the room through the eye covers. That is a scary thought.

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Cricket ~ tell him not to worry. I have a one eye that we put in the GH. I worried as the smoke could kill plants. It has never, never, ever smoked back into the room. DH put two 90°s in the pipe and it still draws well. On the bottom of the front lip or on the door, there should be a draft door which controls how quickly it burns and prevents any chance of smoking back into the room.

OTOH, our prefab fireplaces will smoke back if they are not hot enough to draw or if the wind is wrong or if the barometric pressure drops or if the sun comes up... lol I hate that and after a year of using the box heater in the GH, I said I wished we had put a large one of the box heaters in the house. I could also cook on it and always keep a kettle of water to add humidity to the air. Not so on the fireplace.

You will love that treasure!

Isn't what you use called stove black?

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

The front door should have a gasket around it. I replace mine (wide, double doors) every couple of years; costs me under $20 for the materials at Lowe's or HD, but it's worth it because I don't have as much angle to the stovepipe as I'd like and it can smoke lightly until the fire gets hot enough.

I re-black my stove every year. Dirty job but always looks nice when I'm finished!

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

stove black sounds right....I was told that there is only one store in our town that sells it. This stove is so old. I was looking for the indention on the door where most gaskets go but there is no indention for the gasket to set in.
I had a wood burning heater in my first greenhouse about 12 years ago. It had gaskets but the gaskets were bad and we didn't know it and I lost a lot of plants one night due to smoke. Ever since then, we always replaced the gaskets no matter what but there is no place to put a gasket on this heater. And= I haven't found a draft door on it either. We had a heater years ago that didn't have a draft door , so we just left the main door cracked enough to draw in the air and closed it before bedtime.
Hubby wants one of those cast iron wood/coal burners that has the metal box around it so the grandkids don't get hurt if they decided they just have to touch it. I forgot what the heater is called. I insisted that If we get one of those for the living room, the top has to raise up so I can cook on it. My mom had one like that most of my childhood life. We use to warm our clothes on the heater before we went to school. Burnt a few pair a blue jeans doing that too. A new stove like that would cost a big pretty gold penny. I might have a gold penny lying around here somewhere.

Cricket... I can cook on my woodstove and the top does not open. Well it actually does, but if I open it with a fire going, it smokes up the room in a heartbeat.

I bought mine used, 6 years ago. I'd love a new, more efficient Vermont Castings stove but I don't have a gold penny!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

We have had several of the ones like your pic and have been happy with them. Ours did not have a draft door but the lip in front of the door lifted off allowing the draft of air to pass under the door. Never had any problem with smoke. None of ours of that model ever had a gasket.

We also had a big Ashley heater and loved it. Our son has it now. The fire box has a suround built in so you can touch it. It also has a thermostat and a blower. Very efficient heater.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Loved catching up on your progress! Way to go to you and your husband!

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Hey MsRobin.Long time no see. How are you doing lately? And thanks for viewing our progress.
We haven't worked on the house lately. Hubby been building a barn roof for someone else. ($)
I have been bringing in shelves for the kitchen. It's going to be a while before I have cabinets. I insist on
having oak cabinets and they are a little pricey. I will be buying the unfinished cabinets and will sand, stain, and polyurethane them myself... I may not have cabinets until spring.==unless I manage to buy
at least one wall cabinet each month.==budget.

My step dad said that this little cast iron wood burner will get too hot for my office and bedroom. He said it will heat my whole house and that I should consider putting it in my living room. Worried about the grandbabies touching it. Maybe i should build a fence around the heating area===iron fence...........im thinking about it. What do you think? Decisions Decisions. I would have to do some measuring. Not sure If I have enough space in front of the heater to completely close in the heating area.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

We put something up around ours when the kids were little but I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

A heater is only as hot as the size of the fire you build in it.

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Here's one link I found. I googled "woodstove guards".
http://thelograck.com/wood_stove_child_safety_screen.html
If there's any place around you that sells new woodstove, maybe they have some.

I'm sure it won't be long before you have cabinets. Great idea getting shelves for the meantime. And you can always use them elsewhere later.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

I prefer mostly open shelving in the kitchen, so don't rule that out going forward!

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I got a few more shelves put in the kitchen. It makes things so much tidier. Hubby went to a flea market and bought me a large pot. It's stainless steel and about 1/4 inch thick. 6 inches deep, and 22 inches wide with heavy duty handles on each side. I have no idea what someone used that big thing for but its gotta be good for something. I checked to see if it would fit in my stove oven and it does. My stove oven is extra deep.

Hubby still putting shingles on the roof. Slowly but surely. It is about 75 % complete now. BIG ROOF
He hung my Amber chandelier that I saved from the fire. But he hasn't ran electricity to it yet. I need an over head light so badly. We have a light over the kitchen sink but thats all the lights we have right now. Will be taking pictures this week.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

So gald it's all coming together.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Me too! It sounds nice!

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

One 12inch shelf board is used like a counter top for the coffee pot, cream, sugar, bread. Room to make a sandwich, and also where the micro wave is in the wall. The board was hard to keep clean. Liquids soak into the wood. I sanded all the shelving boards and put square floor tiles on them so they would be easy to clean and dust. The tiles have a wood floor design. The box of linoleum tiles costed $26. I almost used the whole box. You can give any wood shelf or table top of any sorts a nice clean finish or a different design easy with linoleum square tiles.
My grandfather built a bathroom sink in his home and used Linoleum to finish the wood on the sink top. Looks nice.

Hey Cricket...Great progress! Start a new thread, please? This one's getting hard to load for anyone on dial-up

Gentry, AR

looking awsome cricket

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

How are things going? Are you moved in yet?

Vernon, AL

Everything is looking good, winter will be here before you know it

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Bite yore tongue, Man!!! LOL

Vernon, AL

Yes Mam Cajun .. hahaa

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Leaves are changing and falling here pretty quick. Rained all night last night.

Ocilla, GA

Where did this thread go? I am new here and started reading cricketsgarden, the story about her house is so interesting, I wanted to follow it, but don't know where it went.

Richmond, TX

I think she is really busy with family concerns. I hope things are going well.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I was worryimg about her.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Missing you, Cricket.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Sorry. Yep had extra family to tend to but then got sick for 7 wks-----long story. I am better and I only have one extra child here now.
Hubby Been doing a lot of minor construction on the house to make it as warm as possible during the winter.
I will start a new thread so this one is not so long.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

let me tell ya the long sick story= I had a sinus infection and I thought i could fight it off but then I had inner ear infection two weeks later. Went to doc---antibiotic shot and steroid shot and a round of antibiotics== couldnt look at the light and puter light hurt too. three weeks later= still had sinus problems and headaches and sore ear and throat==another antibiotic shot and steroid shot and a round of non-steroidal anti-inflamitories........ then got a stomach virus two days before thanksgiving and after day 17 with a stomach virus went to doctor again and it seems the meds i was taking caused stomach virus to be worse than it should and also ended up with a digestive infection====another (14 day)round of serious antibiotics and still on those . I thought i was going to die!!!!!!!!!!!! so actually===i guess i was sick 8 weeks and current on meds.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

So glad you are still among the living. We have missed you and your adventures.

Is the 1 extra kid the first extra one you started out with? Hope the others are doing well also.

Is the house warm enough for you all? What is your weather like right now?

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

continued here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1233848/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.