Boston fern- dormant?

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

My Boston fern started dropping leaves so I put a loose bag under it and moved it to a cool bright room. Over the months I added a bit of water but it got pretty dry. I got it out and have cut all the dry fronds off (they were all dried and dead) . Will it put out new growth now that I watered it?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally----

Ferns of any kind LOVE humidity! This does nor mean in the soil--they hate wet feet!
In the right weather temps--just hang them outside in part shade and let them be.

They love the natural watering rains provide----but not the regular watering one would give them
in the house....

Generally--Ferns of any kind like to be on the dry side--(but misted or provided humidity
as needed) but watered only when they get totally dry....
Any fronds that dry up can be removed with no ill effects...

I know this is a hard recipe to follow.....Just that one needs to understand the difference
between being "wet"in the soil--- and having air moisture--Humidity.
Wet in the soil is NOT SO DESIRABLE!
Wet in the air water content--humidity--is VERY desirable....

Ferns also like a cool environment....SO---Cool and Moist......

Best anyone can do it just hang it outside in part shade and leave it be.

Gita

Thanks for all that info but my question remains

Once a Boston Fern has completely dried out in soil and all fronds are dead and brown, is there a chance it is dormant and will resprout?

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

I wouldn't count on it. I would be surprised if it was that drought resistant. The only chance I see for it to revive is from the rhizome if that's still good and well enough developed.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Sally,

If it does come back it will be sickly. Best to start over.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

OK, thanks, I won't expect much then. She can sit on the deck and do what she will.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.