Unloved plants

Santa Rosa, CA

I'm posting here because it's where I post more often.

Has anyone bought a plant from a nursery and then disliked it? Almost knew when you were buying it that you didn't really like it?

I banished one supposed houseplant to the outdoors. I kept it for almost two months before I decided I couldn't stand it anymore. I didn't have the heart to rip it out and use the pot for a better plant. Didn't even have the heart to stop watering it. The best I could do is put it outside. But I still water it.

Anyone else?

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

Diana,
I kind of feel that way about Daturas. The scent
is wonderful but the bush it grows on is truly
ugly. I try to hide it in back of some ferny types.

If you truly cannot stand the plant why not offer
it for trade to someone who is looking for it?

Cris

Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

Or post it on a free website.

And I'm sure many of us have done the same. I know I have.Usually I'll try and find a home or place for it....(until it dies.....but it does feel like a waste of money, so can be hard just to kill it) Like poinsettias after christmas.

Columbus, OH

I've definitely had plants that didn't work out the way I wanted. I just traded or gave them to someone who'd love them.

Norridgewock, ME(Zone 5a)

It is very liberating to get rid of plant that you don't like anymore and is just taking up space. Someone will always take them--ask at work, that is how I get rid of mine, plus lots of excess garden perennials. Plus, that frees up space for something new to delight your soul.

Santa Rosa, CA

I haven't been here in awhile. Anyway, since the last time I posted, I put that plant outside, like I stated above, and it is thriving. It looks better out there. It's loving life. Good for it.

I did finally kill a houseplant that hadn't been doing well for 9 months. Lost more leaves than it ever had when I first bought it and never showed a new shoot. Got all limpy and was never happy. For 9 months. So, the other day, I just pulled it out and put a new plant in its precious pot. (Precious because it's a purple pot that houses my few bedroom plants). I didn't feel relieved to be rid of it, but I don't feel sorrow over its loss either. My new baby who got the purple pot made the whole euthanasia process easier. She better perform because I'm Dr. Kervokian now!

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

Aftert my mother died, I gave a peace plant to the nursing home where she had been living. It had been a funeral flower. I thought that was the best place for it since I did not have room for it. School rooms, senior citizen's centers, hospital lobbies, places like that usually can take plants. Hope this helps. Luciee {;^)

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

As new plants arrive it is possible to fall out of love towards another. Yes, there have been some plants that lose favor. I Try to give them away to guests. You are doing the rest of your plants a big favor by getting rid of those that might slow you down, turn you off.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.