Grass and Bamboo should prob be different forums, but...

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Most of the interest here is bamboo and I know why... I'm a closet bamboo freak. I only have one: Buddhas ' Belly, but I do love it. However, my question is the grass everyone else seems to hate : Bermuda. My back lawn here hasn't been fertilized in YEARS. I have dogs that LOVE to roll in SH-T.
I have decided to cordon off sections and add an amendment to the surface and try to improve the growing conditions to save water which despite the clay soil, seems to run through like crap through a goose. My question is this: Manure or compost? I have about one or two earthworms per shovel at this time, so generally poor soil. Time is no object.... If I die before the lawn is healthy I won't care, but I would like to see results before then. All opinions are welcome. I let lawn weeds grow to a point because I think it adds biodiversity in the lawn. Besides... they get mowed every week too, so no great seed threat. Which is the long term solution? My front yard seems to indicate Manure from the winter over seeding, but the fly's and smell gets pretty bad when the weather is warm and we are Definitely headed that way.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Kill two birds.... Use COMPOSTED manure. No stink and all the benefits.

Doug

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thank you Doug. Kinda what I was thinking. But now I have to track it down. The bagged stuff isn't always well composted, and you don't know what the bulk places really have until you get there. The hunt is on.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

I'll be close to you next week. Will be in Sedona the 27th for a few days.

Doug

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Enjoy Sedona. It beautiful up there. The weather should be great. Especially compared with what's going on out there.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.