April's Spring Orchids

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Epilaelia Little Nuggets 'Mendenhall' HCC/AOS is just opening flowers on its five spikes.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

Close up of flowers which are almost mustard color.

I got little Ascocentrum garayi this past year. The spike came up so quickly I was surprised. Ascocentrums are great for Vanda lovers with no space.

Here is a close up of the flowers.

Ascocentrum curvifolum has been in my collection for three years. It had two spikes the first year, one the second and three this year. A few leaves were damaged in the over-heating incident but not too badly.

It still has a way to go with opening flowers. Here's a close up of the first spike opening.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

All pretty, but my favorite is Epilaelia 'Mendenhall'! Love the veining on the lip.

Isn't that something? I had Little Nuggets years ago. It was one of the first on my wish list when I started growing again.

Also blooming is Paphiopedilum Hsinying Web 'Giant' x Pulsar 'Hsinying Flame' SO took this photo. I don't thing the stone background shows it in its best light.

Here is a close up. I'll get a closer up soon. It's got cool, hairy warts.

Can't remember which Tolumnia this is. We are at Maypop so I can't check the tag. This is a back bloom from the trimmed spike.

Bitty plant...

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm just back from singing at a nursing home. I think they all enjoyed it.

They poured concrete today and cut the existing concrete to put in new drain lines. It raised such a cloud of dust I think they had to close Tampa International.

Laurel, great show and quality pictures. The phal is beautiful.

Jim

What Phal, Jim? I think you've been snorting to much dust. Sounds like you had a fun day singing.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Ha! Or too much wine! Jim's had a very stressful day with the contractors! With the dust they stirred up, he will have a hard time singing for a while.

Love the Paph!

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

OK, so I ment Paph. In this dust cloud they all look alike.

They poured concrete yesterday and wheeled it from the street. I remember doing that when I was much younger and I know it was no fun. Just two guys with two wheelbarrels moved all of that concrete around to the back of the house. My back hurts just thinking about it. They are suppose to deliver the pavers at 7:00 this morning.

Yes, I did sing last night but this time at a nursing home to entertain the ladies. Lots of fun but my voice is gone. The orchid society meets at 10:00 this morning but I don't know if I can make it and I really don't even know what is blooming back in the trees. So much to do.

Who told Carol about the wine? :>)

Jim

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

I love the one with "cool, hairy warts".
I'd love to get all my orchids outside & soaked & leaves cleaned today since it will again be 80+ but I'd need to get them all back in tomorrow since the "normal" weather will be back on Thur and I can't leave them out in 45 degree nites.

Auburn Four Corners, PA(Zone 5a)

Maypop, reading your planting list made me HUNGRY! Lots of variety! We're trying 'bull's blood" beets this year. They are supposed to have nice red beet greens in addition to good-tasting beets. I'll be planting them, and a whole lot more, in about two weeks . . .

Jim, I love the photo of oncidium psychopsis "floating like a butterfly in the trees." They DO look like butterflies! I want to try my hand at that plant, but Maypop's comment about having no luck with them scares me!

Maypop, Epilaelia Little Nuggets 'Mendenhall' HCC/AOS is REALLY pretty! I've never heard of or seen that one. What a sweet flower. And I love those ascocentrums, too. I always wanted to try miniatum, but seeing them in those baskets with no media, roots all exposed made me nervous . . . at least about growing them in the apartment. I think it's enough for me to fathom my tolumnia growing with barely 5 little chips of bark in a clay pot . . . but it does indeed grow!

I recently succumbed to the temptation of a compact cat. C. Janice Evans 'Sweet Sixteen'. I bought it from Silva Orchids at our farmer's market here in NYC a few weeks ago. Had 4 developing buds, which just opened on what was a warm and beautiful Easter Sunday. Very slight fragrance. Nice, sized plant, about half the size of the big guys.

I just had to ammend this. The fragrance on this is INCREDIBLE. It took over three days to develop, but once it did . . . wow. Two rooms away you could notice it, but it was not annoying. It was wonderful!

This message was edited May 16, 2011 2:03 PM

Thumbnail by PinetopPlanter
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Pinetop, for me, Onc. psychopsis is easy to grow. It puts up bloom spikes that rebloom for years. However, my climate is much different than yours so do your homework. Very nice colors on Sweet Sixteen.

I went to the Tampa Orchid Club meeting today and this little lady followed me home. This is Bullopetalum Midnight Blue 'Cardinal's Roost'.

Jim

This message was edited Apr 28, 2011 4:56 PM

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

This is the plant.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

This is Phal. Ritter's Gem 'Linda Ritter' AM/AOS. It is a very large vigorous plant and flower.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is another one about like it. This is Phal. Tianong Glory.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Vanda Natchaya Beauty 'Pink' began to open yesterday. The color is intense.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Dearborn Heights, MI(Zone 6a)

Blooming this month...

ONC Sharry Baby 'Ruby Doll'

Thumbnail by DaylilySLP
Dearborn Heights, MI(Zone 6a)

Zygopetalum Arthur Elle

Thumbnail by DaylilySLP
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Nice ones, Daylily. I love the purple lip on the Zygo.

Jim

Very cool Phals., Jim. The spots are in just the right place. Bet that Vanda turns fuscia.

Qwilter, new technology is giving me fits but as soon as I'm able I'll take some closeups of that Paph. I seriously need to do something about my photog. skills. Auto pilot doesn't work that well with tiny plants.

Daylily, the Zygo looks really nice. Look at all the buds to go!

Pinetop, Bull's Blood is a great beet. I think I've got some planted. We are onward to yard long beans, Christmas beans, Betty's White okra (that's the for real name), moon and sunflowers, yellow collards, cucumbers (pickling, burpless and Japanese warty ones), yellow squash and zucchini. I've got twenty four tomatoes planted and have cages for nine more.
L

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

The Coelogyne mooreana I bought in Feb. is fully open

Thumbnail by OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

The four I got yesterday... Den.jonesii, Encyclia lancifolia, Zygo. 'psycho', and Euchili citrina

Thumbnail by OCCAROL

Man is that Coelogyne a beauty, Carol! You have a great haul from Andy too. Close ups pending I hope.

The three spikes on Ascocentrum curvifolum are becoming more floriforous.

I got Mictoterangis hariotiana a while back. This will be a first time bloom. The plant is tiny and the spike so wee I missed it completely. Surprise!

Here's an idea of the size. I might need my microscope for this one.

Tolumnia Jairak Rainbow 'Easter Sunday'. It was right on time but I'm a little late with the photo.

Dendrobium unicum is losing a few flowers but still opening others after more than a month. This is a great orchid.

Ascocentrum garayii flowers are becoming more golden as they mature.

Alameda, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi to all.

This NOID Phal. is probably the darkest, most intensely-colored orchid I have, and one of the darkest I have even seen. The color is exactly that of a fully ripe Bing cherry. It also has incredible substance--thick as cardboard and looks like it was sculptured and polished. I've had it several years, but this is the first time I've bloomed it in the last 3 years.

Allan

Thumbnail by atisch

That is intense Allan and you can see the flowers are very substantial. BTW, I've missed your posts.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

atisch, that's incredible! I've never seen a Phal like that.

Laurel, wonderful show! I wish I could grow the vandacious orchids here. We never even see them at the shows.
As to the close ups, my photography skills are about par to your's...and I don't have a SO to take them for me. That Den will be a tough one. Just sweet little bells that are supposed to smell like cinnamon in the evening. The Encyclia has two spike in bud, so of course I'll be taking pics of those when they open. Those are the only ones I got from Andy's this time. The Zygo is from Pon's Plants, and the Euchili was from a vendor that deals in tropical bulbs and bare roots.I did get that mounted on a tree fern slab this morning, but don't know if it will make it here. If it ever blooms for me, rest assured there will be pics.!

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Allan, that is one incredible phal. I wish we knew the name of it.

Laurel, good show. Love the Ascocentrums.

Here is an update on Vanda Natchaya Beauty 'Pink' .

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

This is Brassavola Jimminey Cricket, a cross between B. nodosa and B. digbyana (which is now R. digbyana and may change the name Jimminey Cricket. Anyway, the flowers seem too heavy for the stems so it is hard to photograph.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

The plant is mounted on a cedar board.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.