Gardenia: Need advice about care

Boston, MA(Zone 6a)

I couldn't resist buying a gardenia at the Boston Flower Show even though I know they need tons of light and I have no good southern exposure here. I've never had a gardenia survive me before. So far I think I understand that they need lots of water (this one seems to require daily watering) and light (I am trying to use fluorescent lighting to boost indirect light from window). My plant blooms well but the blooms turn yellow within a few days. Also I am noticing a few bottom leaves with black spots... any ideas?

Thanks for advice. Attached is the gardenia when I bought it. I will follow with pics of the current state of affairs.

Thumbnail by Garden_Healing
Boston, MA(Zone 6a)

Plant now....

Boston, MA(Zone 6a)

Close up of yellow blooms

Boston, MA(Zone 6a)

Close up of black spotted and yellowing new leaves

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Yellowing leaves can be caused by a lot of things, but I'd definitely check on your watering. I've found gardenias can be a bit fussy about water--while you don't want to let them dry out too much, it's also very possible to overwater them. If you're watering every day that strikes me as possibly being too much. I'd try the finger test before watering--stick your finger down a couple inches into the soil to see how wet it is. If it still feels wet, then hold off but if it's drying out then go ahead and water.

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

It does sound as if the gardenia is getting a bit too much water. Also, they tend to like an acid fertilizer. The other thing to note is the white flowers do turn to an ivory color after a day or so. Mine were always spider mite magnets, no matter what I did for them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.